+ Reply to Thread
    Oh When that Shark Bites! LBOCEAN's Avatar

Bonsai - Outliner

Has anyone used this yet?

Kyocera Store - Software - Bonsai

I recall reading a review on this app -- there are also others but I can't remember the names. Whenever I see apps like this, I am impressed by how powerful they are but it seems like the effort it takes to use them outweighs the value I could extract from them (i.e. the tool becomes the task). The built-in PIM is a bit light for my needs, but DateBk5 adds sufficient functionality to my task management that I don't feel the need for apps like this.

However, if you've a lot of projects and tasks to manage and you're disciplined enough to use the software, this might be good for you. Here's a 3rd party review with some links to the manufacturer:

http://www.cdpug.net/reviews/bonsaireview.htm

Thanks for the link.

I did like the fact that the article mentioned the drag and drop editing, something important to me especially when your trying to build a logical step process and need to insert or move an item.

I gave it a read and think the best thing to do is give a try myself.

Also, check out freeware:

"Progect" is a project-management system; it's free, and includes source code.

Grab it at http://www.alawa.ch/?show=16&language=en

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I find it's a good replacement for the built-in To-Do app.

Documentation's a bit sparse. But I haven't looked at the mailing list -- it may be more active there.
    http://fogbound.net/flummox - Flummox! fun Palm OS Puzzle Game
    ----
    SjG

Thanks. I'm open to trying several apps. Especially free ones.

More than a Todo type list, a breakdown format such as this Bonsia is more the direction i'm hoping for.

I tried one last year (name skips me at the moment) but it was so cumbersome that I decided to drop it.

You see, were I'm coming from is the Sharp Zaurus Unit from wayyyy back. Now That, was an Organizer. Totally Blows the Palm away.

I've threatened to do a writeup sometime, but i'm affraid I just havn't had the time lately.

Outliner apps

Hello,

There are two outliner applications that I have used for several years.

The first is ShadowPlan, which is the bells and whistles program. I have not tapped the inner realm of possibilities with that program, because I don't have the time or need to learn it all. For those who want complexity and options, options, options, it is an awesome program. For me, the simple benefit is that I can link any item in it to my native datebook or to do list. Thus, I can work up daily planning in detail on Shadow then move bits and pieces over to my regular daily view.

The second program that I use frequently is ThoughtManager. Thod is a very simple, very easy to use basic outliner. It has a great desktop program, that I find visually appealing. I use ThoughtManager for all large projects because the display on desktop works best for me -- of course it all synchs to the palm. Planned by daughter's wedding down to the final detail with ThoughtManager.

I like them both. They both cost, but I'm so used to them that I wouldn't give either up now.
    Barbara

Re: Outliner apps

Originally posted by nabour
    Hello,

There are two outliner applications that I have used for several years.
    BINGO! Thanks for the input.

That first program you mentioned was the one I spoke of earlier. Way way to much for what I was needing.

But you've peeked my intrest on the second one.

So, it looks like I have a couple to review from this thread.

Consider those in this thread on my do not eat list

I've been a ShadowPlan user for several years. The comparison with Datebk5 is very apt. It has enough bells and whistles for a full orchestra but it is easy to only use the features needed and grow into it as you need other features.

In fact, I use it much more as a heirarchical note taking program than as a project management program.

The developer, Jeff Mitchell, is very responsive. While it costs, the price is not bad ($23 with windows desktop program). You can get a 10% discount on it at Palmgear. Just go to www.palmgear.com. Click on Specials, and then click on October 27th. Unfortunately it expires today but it seems to come up on their list of specials about once a month.

The developer promises free upgrades for life - so far I've probably had about 10 regularly released upgrades and maybe 50 in the alpha and beta tests.

Tim

Having tried all of the outliners mentioned above I would also have to recommend ShadowPlan as the best app. However I have found that I go through phases where I use it constantly. Other times I just ignore it for months. Sometimes it's just easier to use the regular to do list.
    Amber. I'm finally converged, and lovin' it!