+ Reply to Thread

Help from devellopers ?

Hi, I want to start devellopping Palm Applications for Kyocera, however I cannot seem to find an emulator/POSE online so I can test my software as I develloppe it...

Don't I need an emulator to test the software, I have a Kyocera is it possible to extract the ROM software and run it on the desktop in a emulator ?

I went to kyo web site and got teh SDK but it does not include a POSE skin or an emulator or a way to extract the emulator from the Kyocera ROM

Palm/7135 Development

You can get the emulator from the Palm developer site:
    http://www.palmsource.com/developers/

To get their Palm ROMs, you have to sign up for the developer program.
    There is an app that comes with the emulator to suck a copy of the ROM out of your friendly local Palm device (your 7135).

The 7135 SDK probably has directions if there's something special you need to do. I did it for the 6035 a while back, but don't remember having to do anything particularly difficult.

As for skins for POSE, they're not really necessary. You can use the Palm IIIc skin, and it'll display exactly what your 7135 would display (just in a different "container").

Unless you're doing something that specifically uses the 7135's phone features, I'd recommend developing against the Palm IIIc ROM anyway. That way, you're guaranteed compatibility with other pre-OS 5 devices.
    http://fogbound.net/flummox - Flummox! fun Palm OS Puzzle Game
    ----
    SjG

Yeah the problème is that I wanted to devellope a Kyocera Specific application (detected the kyo hard keys : volume, number keys) ....

Any thought on how I can emulate such behaviour ...

Sounds like you need to strike up a dialog with PalmNut, he developed the Beebopper MP3 player. Its the only third party app for the 7135 that I know of that makes use of the Kyo external buttons....
    mg

You're going to have to develop as much as you can on a standard ROM and test the KYO-specific stuff on the phone. You can't emulate the non-standard stuff on POSE.

Originally posted by ewrick
    Yeah the problème is that I wanted to devellope a Kyocera Specific application (detected the kyo hard keys : volume, number keys) ....

Any thought on how I can emulate such behaviour ...

What about the hard keys.

I want my programme to be able to handle the phone button and other hard keys does that mean that I cannot do such thing... with the POSE.

Sorry for being scarce on this topic. I've been a tad preoccupied.

You won't be able to test actual hardkey use from POSE, so code up your app and test it on an actual device. But FWIW that's going to be the easy part for you. You can fake key events if you really need them in POSE for testing. It's the handling of incoming calls and caller ID information that should challenge you more.

The 4 "application" buttons and the up/down scroll button are implemented in all palm devices (KYO included) in the same way, so they work in the emulator. Things like the center OK button and up/down volume keys are KYO specific and thus you'll have to test those on the device. Not a real hardship, as responding to these is simple, not something that would be subject to a lot of trial and error.

Originally posted by ewrick
    What about the hard keys.

I want my programme to be able to handle the phone button and other hard keys does that mean that I cannot do such thing... with the POSE.

I am currently trying to get an answer out of Kycera about a debugging ROM for the Palm emulator, but haven't had much success so far. You can suck the ROM out of your 7135 like libelle suggests, but it will crash if you try to access things like the phone functions. If I get any type of response from Kyocera, I will be posting it here:

http://www.smartphonesource.com/vbul...&threadid=9045

This is a new thread I am starting for 7135 developers until SPS is back fully functional, and has a developer section once again.