+ Reply to Thread

Palm OS 6 rumors

Just thought I would start a thread on Palm OS 6 rumors; which I understand will be released early next year. I, for one, am looking forward to it. Some of the features I hear (from PalmSource and others) that it will have include:

* Multiprocessing, multithreading (run several apps at once, like Windows).
    * End of the 16-category and 4 kb note limitations.
    * Wireless and wireless security.
    * Software can be fully ARM native. OS 5 software had to use "armlets" to work on ARM processors.
    * Different look (GUI interface).
    * More advanced multimedia and graphics features.
    * Pluggable I/O interfaces.
    * Standard method (API) for switching between portrait and landscape viewing modes, so developers do not have to write their own software to do that.
    * New efficient tools for web browsing.
    * Backward compatibility for older software (how far back?).
    * View desktop computer files in native format, rather than having to convert them to Palm OS software formats.
    * Access for Microsoft Exchange and Lotus email servers

Two sources of information are:

http://www.palmzone.net/palmos6.htm
    http://www.palmsource.com/developers.../20030715.html

The former also has a small discussion group on Palm OS 6.

Re: Palm OS 6 rumors

I believe its called the Arizona project and the OS is called Sahara. Might get a different name later as this is only SDK test.
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

A better web browser and more categories/longer notes would make me jump for this. Unfortunately it seems the smartphones are a step behind the pdas when it comes to the OS.
    My sordid past:

Kyocera 6035, Kyocera 7135, Samsung i700, iPAQ 6315, iPAQ hx4705, Motorola a630, BB 7100t, iPAQ rx3115, JAM 850, BB 8700g, Samsung i320 (just for fun), imate KJAM, TMO SDA, MDA, TMO Wing

Address book

I recently started using the Treo 600 with Sprint after using a PPC for over a year. I have over 500 contacts that I am very careful to keep up to date in Outlook/PPC. I was amazed to learn that the Palm OS (5.2 on my Treo, I believe), has such limited fields. For several business contacts, I have home addresses as well. I can't believe that an OS as mature as Palm hasn't budged on the inflexibility of something so important as contacts/address book.

After syncing with Outlook, I got several duplicate contact entries, and most fields, such as birthday, office location, 2nd address, etc. don't even have a home in the Palm DB.

If Palm OS designers are reading this forum, <B>please increase the number of fields available in contacts!</B>.

suerte,
    basio
    suerte,

Basio

Cobalt

I guess the official name for Palm OS 6 is now Cobalt. Here's the latest:

http://palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6530

Actually, Cobalt does have a nice set of features. Now let's see how well they are actually implemented. I can't wait for the first Cobalt-based smartphones.

No OS X support?

Here is more news on Palm OS 6/Cobalt:

http://palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=6568

Actually, I think it looks very interesting. The multi-stack, unified stream communications architecture especially so. I just wonder about compatibility with "legacy" Palm OS applications. PalmSource is saying not to worry but until I see it, I have my concerns.

Re: Address book

Originally posted by basio
    I recently started using the Treo 600 with Sprint after using a PPC for over a year. I have over 500 contacts that I am very careful to keep up to date in Outlook/PPC. I was amazed to learn that the Palm OS (5.2 on my Treo, I believe), has such limited fields. For several business contacts, I have home addresses as well. I can't believe that an OS as mature as Palm hasn't budged on the inflexibility of something so important as contacts/address book.

After syncing with Outlook, I got several duplicate contact entries, and most fields, such as birthday, office location, 2nd address, etc. don't even have a home in the Palm DB.

If Palm OS designers are reading this forum, <B>please increase the number of fields available in contacts!</B>.

suerte,
    basio
    The new version of Palm OS addresses this (pun intended .) It has an updated Address Book app with more fields. For your Treo 600 there are several Address Book replacement apps (such as Beyond Contacts) that offer more fields.

An interview with George Hoffman, on of the former BeOS engineers who owrked on Palm OS 6/Cobalt and another interview with Larry Slotnick, Chief Product Officer at PalmSource. Some of you may find them interesting:

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6148
    http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0...=119076,00.asp

I'd be happy if it were more time-zone aware. I have customers in multiple time-zones and sometimes have to be in a different time-zone for conference calls. I'd love to be able to schedule a call for 10am CST and if I'm in NY, the alarm goes off at 11am, not 10am...