+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Win-Hand Free

  1. #1
    Registered User CLEAmber's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-31-2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    306

    Win-Hand Free

    Has anyone been able to get this app working? I have disabled my firewall, gone through the entire help page setup several times, and still cannot get my CLIE to find my PC. Oooh, I am so frustrated
    Amber. I'm finally converged, and lovin' it!

  2. #2
    Registered User Robert K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06-18-2002
    Location
    DC/Balt area
    Posts
    4,827

    Re: Win-Hand Free

    Originally posted by CLEAmber
    Has anyone been able to get this app working? I have disabled my firewall, gone through the entire help page setup several times, and still cannot get my CLIE to find my PC. Oooh, I am so frustrated
    Are you connecting directly by IP? Can you ping the IP? (from anywhere). If you want to try to ping it from you Clie, Mergic has a free ping utility (at least they did a few months ago).
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

  3. #3
    Registered User CLEAmber's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-31-2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    306
    Hmmm, I would really love to respond to your questions except I don't understand them, LOL

    I am starting to think that some of this is a bit over my head...
    Amber. I'm finally converged, and lovin' it!

  4. #4
    Registered User Robert K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06-18-2002
    Location
    DC/Balt area
    Posts
    4,827
    Originally posted by CLEAmber
    Hmmm, I would really love to respond to your questions except I don't understand them, LOL

    I am starting to think that some of this is a bit over my head...
    I personally don't use Win-Hand (I use PalmVNC), but I did try it briefly and I believe that it relies on directly connecting to your IP address. Fortunately for me I have a fixed IP address at work and the port (5900) is something we keep open.

    This kind of remote connection isn't something I'm an expert on (not as much as some people around here probably are anyway). But, when I did try to setup a connection to my home computer like I have at work, a couple of the problems I ran into were the fact that the IP address is not fixed (yours likely is not either), and I don't think that my ISP allows direct access to whatever my IP address happens to be (when I tried to connect). I didn't really care about having remote access to my home computer, so I didn't pursue it.

    Hopefully somebody else here who has succeeded in doing what you're trying to do will offer some helpful tips!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

  5. #5
    Registered User CLEAmber's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-31-2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    306
    Yeah, I tried Palm VNC as well and had similar problems. I am guessing that they have to do with my firewall and me not knowing anything about how to make the correct settings. This is just something i'm not gon be able to do for right now. I am getting way in over my head. Threw my CLIE at the wall earlier today. Now that's a sign that I should just give it up, LOL.
    Amber. I'm finally converged, and lovin' it!

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    10-21-2001
    Posts
    26,048
    yeah im sure its a port issue. win XP firewall sux anyway.

  7. #7
    Registered User Robert K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06-18-2002
    Location
    DC/Balt area
    Posts
    4,827
    Originally posted by CLEAmber
    Threw my CLIE at the wall earlier today. Now that's a sign that I should just give it up, LOL.
    Nah... don't give up!
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

  8. #8
    Registered User CLEAmber's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-31-2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    306
    Okay, I think I have a plan on how to get this working It may take me about three weeks, but it'll happen In the meantime, I'm going to enroll in some anger management classes...
    Amber. I'm finally converged, and lovin' it!

  9. #9
    Registered User Robert K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06-18-2002
    Location
    DC/Balt area
    Posts
    4,827
    Originally posted by CLEAmber
    In the meantime, I'm going to enroll in some anger management classes...
    lol... at the very least you should find something less expensive to throw
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

  10. #10
    Registered User dwdod's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-01-2001
    Location
    Metro Washington D.C. area
    Posts
    2,085
    Originally posted by Robert K.
    lol... at the very least you should find something less expensive to throw
    Or something less valuable
    (perhaps a Treo 600... )
    Dave

  11. #11
    Registered User Robert K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06-18-2002
    Location
    DC/Balt area
    Posts
    4,827
    Originally posted by dwdod
    Or something less valuable
    (perhaps a Treo 600... )
    That was so funny I forgot to laugh
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

  12. #12
    Registered User dwdod's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-01-2001
    Location
    Metro Washington D.C. area
    Posts
    2,085
    Originally posted by Robert K.
    lol... at the very least you should find something less expensive to throw
    I went to a pda special interest group meeting of the CPCUG about a year ago. Three guys were demonstrating pda's. One had a Blackberry, another a Palm pda and the other an iPaq. The guy with the Blackberry said one of the benefits of his device was that it was impact resistant and he immediately threw his Blackberry onto the hardwood floor with considerable force. Everyone in the audience made a collective gasp. The guy with the Blackberry dared the other two demonstrators to do the same. Neither one was willing.

    It was the highlight of the demonstration.
    Dave

  13. #13
    Registered User Robert K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06-18-2002
    Location
    DC/Balt area
    Posts
    4,827
    Originally posted by dwdod
    I went to a pda special interest group meeting of the CPCUG about a year ago. Three guys were demonstrating pda's. One had a Blackberry, another a Palm pda and the other an iPaq. The guy with the Blackberry said one of the benefits of his device was that it was impact resistant and he immediately threw his Blackberry onto the hardwood floor with considerable force. Everyone in the audience made a collective gasp. The guy with the Blackberry dared the other two demonstrators to do the same. Neither one was willing.

    It was the highlight of the demonstration.
    That's a pretty funny story. And now I can say I know of ONE positive thing about the blackberry (I hope that he had more things to impress people with though)
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

  14. #14
    Registered User dwdod's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-01-2001
    Location
    Metro Washington D.C. area
    Posts
    2,085
    Originally posted by Robert K.
    That's a pretty funny story. And now I can say I know of ONE positive thing about the blackberry (I hope that he had more things to impress people with though)
    As I said, it was the highlight of his demonstration.
    Dave

  15. #15
    Registered User Robert K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06-18-2002
    Location
    DC/Balt area
    Posts
    4,827
    Originally posted by dwdod
    As I said, it was the highlight of his demonstration.
    haha... I hear ya
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

  16. #16
    Registered User CLEAmber's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-31-2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    306
    Originally posted by dwdod
    Or something less valuable
    (perhaps a Treo 600... )
    Awww, c'mon now, that WAS funny..
    Amber. I'm finally converged, and lovin' it!

  17. #17
    Registered User dwdod's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-01-2001
    Location
    Metro Washington D.C. area
    Posts
    2,085
    Originally posted by CLEAmber
    Awww, c'mon now, that WAS funny..
    It's nice to know someone around here appreciates me...
    Dave

  18. #18
    Registered User Robert K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06-18-2002
    Location
    DC/Balt area
    Posts
    4,827
    Originally posted by dwdod
    It's nice to know someone around here appreciates me...
    Well, with the merger bringing in an additional 7,000 members, it was bound to happen eventually
    Please visit my picture site: Robert-O-Rama :)

  19. #19
    Registered User CLEAmber's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-31-2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    306
    LOL
    Amber. I'm finally converged, and lovin' it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts