+ Reply to Thread

Wow! Ota Hotsync!

Ok, so, maybe this is old news, but I just got my 7135 to do an over the air network hotsync, with my home computer, which means I can synch ANYTIME I can get a data signal..

MUCH better for email then separate downloads, because I won't see emails twice... and my home email filter will apply to emails transfered via the conduit- NO SPAM ON PALM!

Caveat, it seems it won't do DYNDNS/domain to IP, I have to hard enter the destination IP address

so if my IP changes, I'm hosed.. it won't work without the correct IP.

yes, I do have an always on connection on home PC

things I had to set in the hot synch palm app options

1-Modem Synch preferences from "direct to modem" to network

2-lan sync prefs set to 'lan' not 'local' hot sync
    primary pc setup= computer name (available from pc hotsync app under setup->network->tcp/ip settings
    and my computers PC IP (this is where my dyndns name failed)

on the pc, I also selected network in addition to the already selected USB

What I'd like to know- does anyone know exactly which ports the network sync uses? I opened my computer wholesale (dmz host) and it worked.. I'd like to just open necassary ports to that machine...

fear I have,
    if I do this in the future when my wife is in her outlook profile, it'll scramble pretty badly... (she's out of town right now, which is why I can sit here and try this crud out)

but still, WAY COOL AND FUN TO DO!

Ok, I hit an annoying snag

when I performed my next local USB sync, it changed the IP# to the one on my local network (*inside my routher, the 192.168.254.2) IP it seems to do this automatically,

I did find the ports, 14237 and 14238- so they are the only new ones open on my router now! (whee, I'm having a jubilant geek night)

More adventures in my desire to have complete over the air updates. Eudora mail is the only app I could find that would copy my email out of my desktop email program, and insert it into the outgoing, (I use outlook) instead of downloading it all from my isps.. which would require setting all my accounts, and seeing everything in double. The biggest problem is, it will ONLY copy over my inbox, and there is no option here, so I have to spend time maliging my mail filters to move everything around- so my 'real email' is only in my inbox... (crudmuffins)

Then I hit a brick because every time I did a sync a new outlook security feature pops up (see this url for reference http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securit...9116570,00.htm ) and demands clicking, per sync.. After much fruitless searching about microsoft.com and eudoras website, mostly applicable to removing that security feature with exchange, I find an EXCELLENT potentially useful program to everyone called
    "express click yes" at http://www.express-soft.com/mailmate/clickyes.html which clicks yes for me.. this can be nice even for syncing from here at the keyboard..

So, as soon as I finish diddling my filters, I am now OTA syncing my email, and just my wanted emails....

Converged
    About your IP address changing. If you use DYNDNS perhaps you can find a DYNDNS client that will send an email when the IP address changes with the new IP address. Then set it up to send the email to your text message account (ie 9175551212@vtext.com). That way you'll always have the correct ip address with you.

-Stew

PS. I occasionally network hotsync to update Avantgo or the like. You also can select which conduits you update. So for example you can update outlook without backing up applications.

Thanks for the suggestion, if my situation changes I will look into it.

I'm lucky enough to live in a low population area immediately adjacent to Atlantic City/Ocean City New Jersey. The first part of that benefits me in that I have cable modem service available to me, the second part in that my IP almost never changes.

I'd be suprised to find I have 4 neighbors with cable modems, my IP changes less than I've heard any comcast customer ever, once since I moved in three years ago..

I do have a DYNDNS client built into my router, and I have to manually update at so the account does not expire from lack of updates.. the router ONLY updates when the IP changes.

I did discover the ability to drop syncs, this was great because what was sucking down my airtime was pocket quicken sync..