+ Reply to Thread
    Good place for Bill Gates SilvrDrgn's Avatar

MegaLauncher has been updated to version "5.0 (Chicago)"

Per the subject, MegaLauncher has been updated to version "5.0 (Chicago)". I'm a ZLauncher user, but before that I was a MegaLauncher user starting with version 3. I had replaced version 4 of it with ZLauncher because I wanted some of its features.

MegaLauncher 5 appears to have quite a few new features like built-in file manager and backup to expansion card capability (including multiple scheduled backups). Some pre-existing features appear to have been dropped or changed. I'm trying it out on my Kyocera 7135 SmartPhone for the heck of it.

MegaLauncher 5.0 (Chicago) -> LINK
    Last edited by SilvrDrgn; 08-02-2004 at 10:43 AM.
    Michael

Tried it and after 10 minutes restored a backup back to version 4.3. I am using MegaLauncher mainly for the ability to categorize any expansion card app into a tabbed category. Well that feature seems to be gone now.

The built in file manager and backup are nice, but I paid for backup buddy and filepoint so I dont really need the new features.

I do like the drop down style category list rather than having to use tabs, but I want my expansion card apps categorized, so that is why I am sticking to 4.3

I liked the ability to expand the upper and lower toolbars in 4.3 with a simple tap of an arrow. Now with 5.0 you have to go into setup to view it. At least that is how it worked for me.

Also, renaming the app in 4.3 simply renamed the category link, the new version renames the actual app file.

3 out fo 10 for me.

BTW, I got arepsonse from MEgaSoft regarding categorizing external apps.

PHP Code:
    Hi,

We should acknowledge our mistakeIt was wrong to disable
    such a great feature – arranging applications on external
    card
    This feature will be restored into the next ML
    update
    I suppose in several days if there will be no
    another serious bugs

I hope you will be more satisfied with new MegaLauncher
     soon

Best regardsBoris WM Sozin

I've been a long time MegaLauncher user and upgraded as soon as I got the notification e-mail but per the following e-mail exchange I was very disappointed:

T> Dear Staff,

T> I have a Kyocera 7135
    T> palm-based Smartphone with OS 4.1.2 and received the invitation to upgrade to
    T> version 5 of the MegaLauncher which I have done; Unfortunately
    T> everytime I tap "Home" on my device the launcher briefly is "Loading" but more
    T> importantly it then is "Updating" with the latter process causing at least
    T> a 10 - 15 second delay before it returns to the "Home" view where I can access
    T> my applications; This is a most unacceptable delay before I can access what is
    T> on my device and for now I have had to disable the MegaLauncher; Before I reload
    T> the earlier version which I had purchased and been very happy with can you tell
    T> me if this is a necessary consequence of my slower Dragonball processor or if
    T> this is some unintended problem with the newer version? I would gladly
    T> disable the backup or archive functionality of the newer launcher if this would
    T> "speed it up"; Any advice or help would be appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Tom R

Hi,

Sorry to say I'm aware of long loading of ML. It depends of amount of
    applications on handheld (and especially on external memory card). I'm
    going to fix this as soon as possible.

Best regards,
    Boris WM Sozin
    Megasoft2000 Ltd
    www.megasoft2000.com
    05.08.2004 17:49

I've been a long time MegaLauncher user and upgraded as soon as I got the notification e-mail but per the following e-mail exchange I was very disappointed:

T> Dear Staff,

T> I have a Kyocera 7135
    T> palm-based Smartphone with OS 4.1.2 and received the invitation to upgrade to
    T> version 5 of the MegaLauncher which I have done; Unfortunately
    T> everytime I tap "Home" on my device the launcher briefly is "Loading" but more
    T> importantly it then is "Updating" with the latter process causing at least
    T> a 10 - 15 second delay before it returns to the "Home" view where I can access
    T> my applications; This is a most unacceptable delay before I can access what is
    T> on my device and for now I have had to disable the MegaLauncher; Before I reload
    T> the earlier version which I had purchased and been very happy with can you tell
    T> me if this is a necessary consequence of my slower Dragonball processor or if
    T> this is some unintended problem with the newer version? I would gladly
    T> disable the backup or archive functionality of the newer launcher if this would
    T> "speed it up"; Any advice or help would be appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Tom R

Hi,

Sorry to say I'm aware of long loading of ML. It depends of amount of
    applications on handheld (and especially on external memory card). I'm
    going to fix this as soon as possible.

Best regards,
    Boris WM Sozin
    Megasoft2000 Ltd
    www.megasoft2000.com
    05.08.2004 17:49

5.1 released (5.2 coming soon)

Just got an email from MegaSoft regarding the upgraded MegaLauncher. 5.1 is out fixing most of theissues mentioned in teh above posts, but since 5.2 is supposedly out in a couple weeks, I might wait before trying it.