+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Palm Pre Anyone?

Had the I500 for 4 years. Moved to the HTC Touch (winmo Pro).

Will probably get the Palm Pre when it is available.

Looks like a winner to me.

Anybody have anything negative to say about the Pre?

Corporate Cog
    Overall, no, but since you asked, here's my -$0.02

The Touchstone, or wireless charging method, at rumored ~$70 prices seems high and makes it seem gimmicky to me. I think I'm gonna stick to good old fashioned wires.

I've always wondered about the durability of sliders. My only non-candy-bar phone was the i500 and it was the only flip phone I trusted. I hope the Pre can put up with some abuse.

I'm not looking forward to paying for piles of apps, especially since I might only use them once or twice.

But I'm gonna buy it because the list of pros far outweighs the cons.

Happily Converged
    I am very interested in the Pre, and will look at it very carefully when it becomes available. I am particularly curious as to how the phone syncs with the calendar and address book on one's computer, and whether it will sync with computer-based (as opposed to cloud-based) calendars/contacts other than Outlook(3) (whatever that is; it's the only one I've seen mentioned in Pre announcements thus far).

Quote Originally Posted by booklaw View Post
    I am very interested in the Pre, and will look at it very carefully when it becomes available. I am particularly curious as to how the phone syncs with the calendar and address book on one's computer, and whether it will sync with computer-based (as opposed to cloud-based) calendars/contacts other than Outlook(3) (whatever that is; it's the only one I've seen mentioned in Pre announcements thus far).
    My concerns as well.

If the sync with old Palm Desktop data works (since I use the PDA on the phone a lot) - then I will give up the i500 - otherwise leaving Sprint for iphone
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Happily Converged

Palm Pre

From what I've read, we will not be able to sync the Palm Pre with Palm Desktop. It will not have a hotsync conduit.

The wonderful world of wireless! naturalsister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by booklaw View Post
    From what I've read, we will not be able to sync the Palm Pre with Palm Desktop. It will not have a hotsync conduit.
    Wouldn't the "Classic Emulator" resolve any Palm Desktop Data issues?

New Pre Classic emulator video shows off 3D gaming prowess
    Bye, bye Centro - Pre next!

Happily Converged
    I don't think so. According to [url=http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/02/palm-pre-classic-emulator-demoed-on-video/url]:

"There's no tethered HotSync, although there's a compatibility mode of some kind and apps will be able to pull data down over the air."

According to [url=http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=15090&news=Palm+Pre+webOS+Palm+OS/url]:

"Synchronization
    MotionApps Classic will create a virtual Palm on a webOS device. This virtual device will act like a separate PDA inside the Pre -- the webOS smartphone and the Palm OS PDA won't directly share calendar or contacts information, nor will there be a way to directly synchronize these databases.

HotSync is also not a part of Classic, so it won't be possible for the virtual Palm to synchronize with the Palm Desktop running on a PC.

However, as I mentioned earlier, Palm OS software running in Classic will be able to access the Internet through the Pre. This means that it will be possible to indirectly sync calendar and contacts information. For example, the Pre will be able to automatically keep itself synchronized with Google' calendar and contacts; an app that syncs Google's data with the Palm OS equivalents would accomplish an indirect synchronization."

The wonderful world of wireless! naturalsister's Avatar

Question Solved?

Quote Originally Posted by stevedrummer View Post
    If the sync with old Palm Desktop data works (since I use the PDA on the phone a lot) - then I will give up the i500 - otherwise leaving Sprint for iphone
    Does this resolve this issue?

How to sync Palm Pre with Palm Desktop

YouTube - How to sync Palm Pre with Palm Desktop
    Bye, bye Centro - Pre next!

Waiting for Pre

I was a believer in the i500 and can't wait for Palm to get back in the game with a serious OS (hello, one that is not WinMo!). Hope that happens before my 30 day Blackberry trial expires.
    Al

Loved my old Samsung i500 (Palm, yes Palm); loathed Win Mobile in a VZW-8600; loved my current Blackberry Curve for getting on 3 years but it's time for an iPhone!

The more I read the more it seems that one has to give up the Palm desktop and the current calendar and contact formate on the phone. That is a real shame for they are much better than other PIMs.
    That'sssssssss all folks!

Still hoping . . .

BB, i500 guru, I had to sadly dump this hallowed device when Sprint ended BC/PE, the service that got me my corporate e-mail and calendar, and when I finally had a chance to get a PDA that actually opened Word and PDF files (Yeah, yeah, I know some intrepid souls were able to do that on the i500 but I never could never make it work for that). I did not toss it but gave it to another i500 nut. Meanwhile, as I wandered through the wilderness of WinMo and now Blackberry, I have always longed for Palm's bright star to rise again. After all, who invented the PDA/PDA phone if not Palm??? I never could see the point of a Palm phone that actually ran WinMo. Sort of like buying a car with the body of a Porsche but the guts of a Yugo. Or a hot datewith a girl with the body of a swimsuit model but the mind of a cloistered nun. Why buy a Palm if all you get is Bill?
    Al

Loved my old Samsung i500 (Palm, yes Palm); loathed Win Mobile in a VZW-8600; loved my current Blackberry Curve for getting on 3 years but it's time for an iPhone!

Converged to near implant level
    I am saddened to lose Graffiti, but the EOS looks like the sweet spot. It is a PITA to go from being the most advanced user to the dinosaur. The Pre looks good, the smaller EOS looks even better. Still using the i500 til I get my hands on these new phones...

BB
    Can you import all your old calendar data and contacts to the new Pre - using whatever they use?
    Someone has to design an ap that uses the Palm Desktop for the Pre, I hope.
    stevedrummer
    "A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
    - Herm Albright

Quote Originally Posted by stevedrummer View Post
    BB
    Can you import all your old calendar data and contacts to the new Pre - using whatever they use?
    Someone has to design an ap that uses the Palm Desktop for the Pre, I hope.
    A one time import perhaps. It seems like a damn shame to loose the Palm UI for calendar and contacts. Also I hard sync 4 computers with my Palm data; not sure how that will or will not work. But even if it does, I still hate to loose the Palm PIM, which more than anything has kept me with them (even on the Treo).

Now I mostly use the Blackberry due to work email, but am learning to really hate (vs. just hate) the calendar and address book.

Oh well. Looks like we might stop meeting like this after all!

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Al Schultz View Post
    BB, i500 guru, I had to sadly dump this hallowed device when Sprint ended BC/PE, the service that got me my corporate e-mail and calendar, and when I finally had a chance to get a PDA that actually opened Word and PDF files (Yeah, yeah, I know some intrepid souls were able to do that on the i500 but I never could never make it work for that). I did not toss it but gave it to another i500 nut. Meanwhile, as I wandered through the wilderness of WinMo and now Blackberry, I have always longed for Palm's bright star to rise again. After all, who invented the PDA/PDA phone if not Palm??? I never could see the point of a Palm phone that actually ran WinMo. Sort of like buying a car with the body of a Porsche but the guts of a Yugo. Or a hot datewith a girl with the body of a swimsuit model but the mind of a cloistered nun. Why buy a Palm if all you get is Bill?
    Now about that nun.....

Anyone want to post their experience with the Palm Pre now that it's available? One thing I'm wondering about is how the keyboard works since it's reported to be small. Some people complained about the Samsung i730 being too small but that was only people with fat fingers. I personally LOVE the keyboard on the i730, can do around 70 words per minute, and it still is my main device. Bonnie Cha said she had a hard time with it even with small fingers hence my curiosity..is it something you can just get used to or is it just too small to be used? Thanks.
    Make some nice money from home:
    http://www.tvtravelbiz.com/ds9916

Administrator
    i was at a local sprint corp. store today getting the crackberry looked at and they were selling quite a few of the pre's....

I got one today.

I had an audiovox thera for a few years, then a 6700. I never could get my 6700 to sync with Vista more than once or twice, so I've been going without syncing for the last year. Ugh.

I am starting to wish I'd gone for the more expensive HTC Touch Pro but I'll see. I may be able to make this work.

I like the phone. Coming from the 6700, it's a dream. FINALLY I get to carry something that doesn't look and feel like a brick.

I synced it with my facebook and google accounts before even plugging it into a computer. That was cool. To have all 2,000 contacts from every gmail mailing list I've ever been on was NOT cool. I had to remove gmail from the sync list.

I haven't been able to sync outlook yet, as I always used stand alone outlook and a traditional USB sync.

I really want to get into the phone and do some nice editing/combining/ etc on my massive contact lists, but the lack of desktop software is really frustrating. I know I'm coming from wm5 to palm so a lot will be different.

The phone is really sleek.
    It doesn't respond to fingernail taps -- it has to make contact with your finger. I'm getting better with it.

The keyboard was my biggest fear, but really, it's not that bad. The slider feels solid.

I didn't realize that I didn't have any removable memory slots as well when I bought it.

I have 30 days to decide. Overall, I'm impressed, I think, just frustrated at the difference. I really need a desktop app to organize things in this phone.

Sprint offers a 30 day trial for existing customers?