+ Reply to Thread

Make Palm Pre work on Verizon...? Possible? Likely?

After seeing the first attempt at hacking the Palm Pre reported (thanks Scott), does anyone know how possible or likely it will be for someone to figure out how to get the Palm Pre working on Verizon at some point? I figure if Verizon ever gets the phone they will ruin it as they usually do by crippling it, limiting it, changing the hardware so its either less aesthetically pleasing and/or not as usable..etc..hence my question about taking the phone, GOOD as it is right now on Sprint, to try to use on Verizon. Or does anyone think Sprint beats Verizon on customer service, coverage, and customer satisfaction? I will give them that the sales person I talked to was really good, answered all my questions, and persuaded me to seriously considering switching.. What I think I can tell is you get better phones on Sprint, you get a lot more for a lot less (everything including 3000 minutes for 3 phones for $189..compared to paying around $300 for the same thing MINUS data MINUS tv streaming on Verizon), close to the same coverage as Verizon, and free roaming on Verizon towers. Can anyone confirm this? The things that held me back were the horror show customer service reports besides stories about coverage..but this has supposedly improved a lot the last 3 years..?
    Last edited by Dominick_7; 06-13-2009 at 10:32 AM.
    Make some nice money from home:
    http://www.tvtravelbiz.com/ds9916

Happily Converged
    Sprint's coverage has been totally acceptable, with one exception: due to the difference in the portion of the radio spectrum occupied by Sprint and Verizon, Verizon's signal is much, much better than Sprint's in penetrating building walls. Some Sprint customers, such as one of my kids, cannot use their cell phones in their apartments without a booster device (the Air Rave, sold by Sprint for $129).

Customer service at Sprint has changed enormously over the last couple of years. It is now truly excellent. They are polite and very, very helpful. They actually seem to care.

Retentions will even give you an Airave for free just for the asking.
    My Palm phone evolution:
    i330>i500>i550>755p>Centro.

Happily Converged
    We got my daughter's for free, although it took a little more than asking... they kept charging us, and then deleting the charge when we complained, and then charging... and deleting... they finally gave up and let her have it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by booklaw View Post
    Sprint's coverage has been totally acceptable, with one exception: due to the difference in the portion of the radio spectrum occupied by Sprint and Verizon, Verizon's signal is much, much better than Sprint's in penetrating building walls. Some Sprint customers, such as one of my kids, cannot use their cell phones in their apartments without a booster device (the Air Rave, sold by Sprint for $129).

Customer service at Sprint has changed enormously over the last couple of years. It is now truly excellent. They are polite and very, very helpful. They actually seem to care.

Hmm he said he had no problems with it in doors, nor do his family who had Verizon, though, he WAS a sales man so.. Sounds good otherwise though. Thanks for your input. A FREE Air Rave sounds very good. What is it..a clamp antenna to use by the window or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabby Aric View Post
    Hi,

Our long awaited review of the Pre. It will be up on Sunday (sometime in the afternoon). We’ve been playing around with the device for some time now and finally have a verdict. Our review will be based on Version 1.0.3 of webOS.
    The review will be up where? In the forum?

Happily Converged
    The AirRave is an electronic device which somehow improves the signal available to Sprint phones within a limited radius.

AIRRAVE - Gadgetwise Blog - NYTimes.com

As far as I'm concerned, it works by magic!
    Last edited by booklaw; 06-21-2009 at 11:05 AM.

Just to let people know..at mobile files dot com they've figured out how to get the Palm Pre working on Verizon contrary to the negative dismissals of it being done.

I'd be convergered if only ... wodin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by booklaw View Post
    Having switched from VZW to Sprint a couple of years ago, that has been my experience exactly.
    Don't mess with old futs...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! B. S. and brilliance only come with age and experience!

Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    Having switched from VZW to Sprint a couple of years ago, that has been my experience exactly.
    How's coverage in comparison to Verizon?

It probably depends on the location. I know where I live, Verizon has MUCH better coverage than Sprint.
    Nicky