+ Reply to Thread

using WiFi for internet connection

Anyway to connect to wireless internet through the WiFi connection rather than paying Verizon for internet connection? I know there is WiFi on the phone but I can't get it to let me get "Free" internet that is already around because of wireless routers.

Also, what does the OBEX bluetooth setting allow for me to do?
    Last edited by 02powerstroke; 03-01-2007 at 09:20 AM.

There is no wifi on this device, sorry.
    Converged since 2002.
    Prior devices: Treo 300, Treo 600, iMate PDA2k, Motorola MPX200, Motorola MPX220 & Motorola MPX300, Samsung i730.

could have sworn that it did.. o well

There is a section in the owners manual for the PN-820 that talks about WiFi, so it was probably originally designed with it, but VZW either had it removed or disabled...

Personlly, I use my PDA devices in too many locations that do not have WiFi coverage to be tethered to Starbucks and the Admirals Club for internet coverage, so I don't really see it as a value add. ...just my two cents.

Hmm....If it HAD it as far as hardware, then the phone supports it. I highly doubt Pantech removed the hardware. It would most likely be disabled in software, which means we may be able to re-enable it.

I found alot of Wifi information in the Registry already, but when I looked at the FCC internal photos of the phone I could not find a chipset that supports WiFi. Anyone have more information?

Quote Originally Posted by MrTek
    Hmm....If it HAD it as far as hardware, then the phone supports it. I highly doubt Pantech removed the hardware. It would most likely be disabled in software, which means we may be able to re-enable it.

I found alot of Wifi information in the Registry already, but when I looked at the FCC internal photos of the phone I could not find a chipset that supports WiFi. Anyone have more information?
    Although people continue to post that the 820 originally had WiFi, I've never been convinced of that fact. It doesn't appear in any of the early stories about the phone, nor is it referenced in any FCC document. I think those of you wanting WiFi will have to go the external route.
    Converged since 2002.
    Prior devices: Treo 300, Treo 600, iMate PDA2k, Motorola MPX200, Motorola MPX220 & Motorola MPX300, Samsung i730.