+ Reply to Thread
    Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

The O2 Flame Packs a Lot of Fire for a PDAPhone

A PDAPhone with its' own built-in Nvidia graphics processor? What is the world coming too... will we soon be able to go to CompUSA and buy the latest Nvidia or ATI graphics adapter so we can run the latest PDAPhone games? Will we be overclocking our "water cooled" PDAPhones as we use one of those little beer can hats to supply water to the chiller? Well, I don't think so, but it is surely a sign of the progression of PDAPhones, and particularly the Pocket PC as moving to be more like a "PC in your pocket". The Flame looks to be an incredibly powerful device.

Lets start with Windows Mobile 5.0 running on a Intel® XScale® PXA 270 Processor at 520 MHz, and don't forget the NVIDIA® GoForce® 5500 GPU driving a 3.6" 640x480 LCD. And will there be enough internal storage? How about 2GB of flash ROM and 128MB of RAM. Even with all that horsepower, battery time is respectable - Talk time up to 2.5 hours (WCDMA Video calling) / 4 hours (WCDMA voice calling) / 6 hours (GSM). Also included is a 2MP digital camera with flash and 4x zoom and autofocus, and a second VGA camera for video calls... yes, that's two digital cameras in the Flame.

On the connectivity front, the device supports tri-band GSM, WCDMA2100, GPRS, WiFi 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth, USB, and Infrared. For those that like their music, there are built in stereo speakers and SRS WOW HD (surround sound experience) and a built in FM radio. And for that impromtu presentation at a client's office, how about a TV out connector!

The O2 Flame is truly worthy of being called a converged device. Now, we just need the US market to get on the stick. I am sitting here with half dead PPC6600 and awaiting same as replacement from Sprint. Their planned 6800 replacement (no where near the specs of the Flame) appears to be delayed now, as is the device at Verizon as well. Its tough to know this stuff is out there and yet the big US carriers aren't picking them up.

Mr. Palm has posted a lot of pictures (non-english site) at Mr. Palm . You can see the full list of specs at O2 Xda Flame - Full Technical Specification
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The O2 Flame Packs a Lot of Fire for a PDAPhone-o2flame2.jpg  
    Mike - Been Converged?

That thing looks sick!
    Check out my iAdviseMe (IT Advisories), i9erNews (49er news), iGreen (Green News) or my iGossip (celeb News) Apps at: http://www.iadvise.me/

Now this is a phone!

Hello Mike,

You seem like a man with the same goals/complaints as myself. This is what I'm talking about for a phone! How do we get the US carries to support this phone? Is there anything like it available now?

Thanks and keep up the good work...

Jersey Bob.