+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SDHC in a 6600?

SDHC in a 6600?

I have a XV6600 w/ a broken screen. I like the bigger screen compared to the newer 6700/6800. However I am wondering if it is worthy of fixing. The ability of accepting large capacity of SD cards will definitely be a big factor.

Administrator
    no its not worth fixing. if you want to stay with the 660x, keep it for parts and find one used on fleabay. if you value the higher capacity cards, then you must get a newer phone.. or keep multiple cards for the 660x...

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar
    I don't know if I would say it's not worthy of fixing. I do know that 4 gig card use has been a bit spotty, with some users reporting that whilke they were able to read/write info from a 4 gig, they also experienced corruption issues. I stick with 2 giggers to be safe.

I still use my original, out of the box 6600. It's on Verizon's network, but I actually received it directly from UTStarcom, and it's never had a (touch wood) problem. Of course, I've done the firmware updates and all that great stuff.

I've stopped in and seen the 6800, and I'll openly admit that the interface is smooth, and of course it has mroe memory, but I honestly just can't give up the screen real estate. I travel between Buffalo and Chicago each week, and I use my 6600 for everything - movies, tv shows (still need to get Orb on it though), phone, 'net, all the usual stuff that everyone else does too I guess. Also consider that it handles AD2P profiles and AVRCP for Bluetooth headsets. Now, when someone makes a PocketPC that can actually handle flash/java properly, then I might reconsider. But even then, with such small screens these days, what's the point?

I know, I know - it's a 3 year old device now (man, I remember when this device came out, and you couldn't keep up with the messages here, or with Ehud's snarkiness), but I still find it to be a truly viable piece of equipment.

Gare
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

@Gare_NY - I have to agree with you - The 6600 has a very nice screen size compared to the newer PDAs. I love my 6600 I just wish it had GPS or Wifi built-in instead of having to use an external SDIO Wifi or GPS.

@TopGun2000 - You can pick up a 'parts' 6600 on eBay for around $50. Or if you're lucky you can find an HTC for under $300.

Aside from 6600 lacking some hardware (GPS/Wifi) it can not be upgraded to WM5 or WM6. I've tried several times with no success.

I have been watching eBay for a few weeks and the best deal so far has been $150 for a Used/working 6600.

BTW - I don't use my 6600 as a phone nor do I have a data plan. For me it's just a PDA.

They are right, buy one and use the one you have for parts or upgrade. Too expensive to fix. HCSD for XV6600 is nowhere near in sight.

I have 4gb non-HC SD and it works great. Very few devices support more than 4gb anyways. Unless something can support more than 16 gb I'm not impressed. I rather have 2 $25 dollar 4 gb cards than a $300 upgrade and hack it to use an $70 8gb card... micro sd at that.

I was going to upgrade because I though my phone died, but it turns out it came back from the dead. SO GLAD I didn't have to upgrade.

I'll keep looking for a way to use SDHC cards on the XV6600, because if we can and a 32 gb SDHC is released... the XV6600 will be like the voice activated sync system only needing an FM transmitter and a mic to be retrofitted to any car integrating GPS, real time traffic, phone, music, videdo, and internet along with streaming capabilites.

You already have that with 4 gb card... 32 gb would be ideal though.

How large of an SD card can this thing handle?

Can these be used with 16gb SDHC?

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar
    No, unfortunately you are limited to non-SDHC cards. Any card that carries the "SDHC" logo will not work (or might apper to work, but will eventually become corrupted).

The largest card this device supports is 4 gigs. One of the few 4 gig SD cards that I've found is this one, from Transcend:

Transcend 4 GB Secure Digital (SD) Card - TS4GSD133 - Buy.com

Good luck,

Gare
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'