+ Reply to Thread
    Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar

Score! YouTube on the 6600!!

Here's another way to add more functionality to this great device!

Over on the 6800 forums, they've been trying for a while to get YouTube access to work properly on the 6800. Early on in their attempts, I tried to implement their solutions on my XV6600, but without success. A lot of 6800 users were experiencing problems as well, so I considered it a lost cause.

Well, I caught up on some reading this morning over in the forum, and came across this soultion, which I've liberally stolen from user RedSkyatNight in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyatNight View Post
    There is a way. (I tried many of these various ideas, and others on the Internet, but all had some problem that was never obvious how to fix.

YouTube Pocket - Just follow the instructions on the web site, you can do it all from the XV6800 if you like.

Seems to have a flawless way that works every time.
    It works. It works, it works, it works!!

Just follow the instructions on the site. You'll need to install TCPMP from the link provided - and if you've been like me, and have been piddling around with PocketTv and PocketMusic, dump those and enjoy TCPMP! It consolidates your music and video into one app, and unlike PocketTv, it allows you to create video playlists, so you don't need to select a new video when one ends.

Then install the Flash bundle.

Then make the mods to the settings in TCPMP - note that you might need to soft-reset first for the options to appear.

And that's it! Then just enjoy full access to YouTube! Note that you can't go through the actual Youtube desktop site - just route through YouTube Pocket, search for whatever you want, and have fun! I've done all of the above, and pulled up a couple "Blood+" anime videos, and they ran great. If you have a slow connection, you will experience some buffering - however, with my full connection speed under EVDO, I watched my video straight through with no problems.

Have fun!!

Gare
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

Well, it worked on the day that I originally posted this!

Seriously, the portal is run by an individual, and apparently, whenever YouTube monkeys with something on their site, he needs to rebuild the flash bundle that his portal uses. He's stated that he's working on it.

So.. yknow.. when it works, it works perfectly, for the record.

Gare
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

Thanks for the tip on ytpocket.com It has all of the videos that are available through youtube and you can make playlists as well.

flashvideobundle is made only for WM5 and WM6. Hopefully he'll get around to making a cab for wm2003se. I tried it on a WM6 I760 and it worked really well.

I'm interested in seeing the code for that cab and for the sdhc cab. I have some programing experience but don't know where to begin. If we can get these phones to take a sdhc all of the music would be available through voice command like the sync sytem on the new cars. 4 gigs isn't too bad though.

Administrator
    coreplayer does a great job also but its shareware and doesn't rely on a 3rd party site or software... you get what you pay for...

Sonik, I've got this up and running on my 6600 - are you saying that you couldn't install the Flashbundle? It works great here.

I've been thinking about CorePlayer (which I beleive is the evolved version of TCPMP, yes?). Right now, I am forced to run two different media programs, because of my Jabra BT3030 headphones (the dogtag model). TCPMP is awesome in that it plays almost anything, even I-tunes/m4a files (thanks to Picard pointing me to a link to the original TCPMP with all of the codecs, including AAC/Apple support). However, I also utilize MortPlayer, because it has a button/screen lock feature for when I want to walk along with my device in my coat pocket while listening to my music via BT. Mort, however, doesn't play M4a's or video.

If there was a way to give TCPMP A) AVRCP support and B) a lock feature, it would be all I would ever need. Does Core offer these options? Moreover, does/can Core support M4A files? Obviously I'd rather use just one program.

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gare_NY,

Weis screen lock program is really good. You can download it here. PocketGear : ScreenLock for Pocket PC On our phone you have to press the calendar and the messaging button at the same time to unlock it.

The AVRCP works on my TCMP but I downloaded the one at that's 72RC1. I use my HT820 along with the screen lock and can listen to youtube video playlist.

On the flashvideobundle, the FLV TMCP plug in works well, but I sure like going to the full youtube website and seeing the full videos as opposed to using ytpocket.com it works really well though. The flashvideobundle 1.4.2 version worked on Windows CE devices, but the 1.4.3 and 1.4.4 version were made for the WM5 and WM6. If he gets around to doing the updates for Windows CE that would be great.

What do you use for TV and how do you use it? I'm curious cause sometimes I'm stuck on a tram for a while or can't get to a TV to watch a show. Can you see your local stations? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by sonikvoom; 04-02-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Oh that's my problem I guess - I'm still running TCPMP .71a - where did you find the 72 version? Does it support .AAC/M4A files?

I don't actually watch live television on my device, but I was thinking about getting a Slingbox or maybe ORB. The stuff I watch are either files that I've downloaded and converted with TMPeg, or grabbed from YTPocket.

Thanks for the tip on the screen lock program.

Gare_NY

On the file associations it says it supports M4A. There is a thread on a another forum 1src Forums - TCPMP v0.72RC1 beta test posted that links to AAC pluggins since AAC was removed on the 70 version due to licensing. I read some people can only see the video without sound. Hope it's of use.

I edited my last comment to say that Flashvideobundle 1.4.2 supports Windows CE devices. The later ones are for WM5 and WM6. I'll look into downloading shows. Sounds like an alternative until I can purchase a TV tunner for my laptop. Thanks for the response.

Anybody out there still using ytpocket? I haven't been able to view any youtube files in the past couple of weeks. Just wanted to check it anybody else out there is able to do the same. I might have to switch devices because a lot of the new software that is being written does no longer work for wm2003se. Anyways, hope it still works for you guys.

Ytpocket is dead, it seems. It was still streaming for me a few weeks ago when I last tried it, but I haven't been able to download for months.

Instead, try mobytube.net - it has all the same functionality. If you already have TCPMP and the FLV flash bundle installed, you're set. Just do a search, then view or download what you want. He has three different versions of the site - all it really breaks down to is search results, pertty much. Give it a try.

Gare_NY

Thanks Gare_Ny It worked out great. I can see google videos as well as other websites. The 1st Version of the site worked out for me. At first it didn't work for me, but all I needed was a reinstall and reset. I was about to switch phones! I was thinking of switching to ATT.

Honestly, I've considered jumping ship to a different device as well, but as I've mentioned before, I'd like it to be to a device that has the same screen size. Everything now is too bloody small. (Man - I sound so old when I say that).

I also use Mobytube on my home computer to download multiple .FLV files at a time, then toss them to my device via my card reader. I've also heard that there are other sites besides Moby that will provide this functionality, but it works well enough for now.

Anyway, glad I could help.

Gare_NY

I haven't tried downloading content to cards, I do back up movies from DVD's on the card and I'm able to view them.

I think I'll stay with this phone for a while. My DSL contract expired so I'll be using the bluetooth DUN. So convinient on the go. I have a family plan that is due to expire next april. Hopefully by then they have some new phones. If not I'm seriously considering switching to another carrier.