+ Reply to Thread
    Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar

What's the most up-to-date ROM?

Hey there,

I was one of the first people to ever receive a Verizon-branded XV6600. I actually had it about a week before you could buy it. Audiovox, who had been attempting to help me years ago with with issues on my *very* old Thera/2032 told me that when the 'updated' phone came out, they'd send me one. I thought they meant an updated Thera, but in fact, they meant the brand new (at the time) 6600.

Anyway, it had been chugging along just fine with the original, out of the box, 2004 dated ROM (1.36?). Last year, sometime in September or so, I decided to flash up to 2.07. The problem was, I couldn't find it - I went to the UTS Starcomm site, but under 'Downloads" for this device, there was nothing. After poking around a bit, I found a frimware tracking log at Phonenews.com, and they had a link to the ROM in question. I updated, and everything was great.

Recently, I've been noticing some odd BlueTooth goofiness, and started hunting around for a solution. In doing so, I came across a post about DST updates, and it led me to the ROM page over on Verizon's support site.

Daylight Saving Time Changes
    It was then that I realized that I was still running an older ROM.

My current ROM, from PhoneNews, is:

ROM version: 2.07.00 WWE
    ROM date: 02/07/06
    Radio version: HA01_167
    Protocol: AA3.3.301
    PRL: 50946
    ExtROM version: 2.07.112 WWE

On the Verizon site, though, they are listing an ExtROM of 2.07.118. Does anyone know what was added between .112 and .118? I can't find any update logs. They do list the following, though I was hoping for more detail:  Added Microsoft’s AKU 2.2 build for Windows Mobile 2003 OS.
     Upgraded the Windows Media Player to 10 series to accept MP3 files.
     Improved Bluetooth headset profile.
     Improved ring tone volume for all the ringers in the handset.

This doesn't tell me too much, because I can already play MP3's in WMP (though I use TCPMP), and my BlueTooth stack is already at 3900.

Further.. Verizon seems to indicate that ROM's wth WWE are for the camera version, and the one without WWE is for WOC devices. Can anyone verify this? Because even thought I have the WOC, I'm running the WWE ROM. (Again, possibly due to bad linking over on PhoneNews.com).

Can you guys (the two of you who are probably still even using this device) please let me know what ROM's you're running? Also, let me know if you have a Camera phone or not, and if you have WWE on your ROM name?

Thanks!

Gare_NY
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

Latest ROM

Hi Gare_NY,

I have an XV6600 WOC running ExtROM version: 2.07.118 WWE. Only difference I notice is the clocks on the PC and PPC synchronize without having to do additional daylight savings time updates to the PPC as long as the PC has all the updates.

As far as the camera/WOC rom version, they are both WWE but the one for the camera is actually a .117 Daylight Saving Time Changes

Be careful if you're flashing to a new rom in Vista, I was stuck on bootloader mode and had to download a bootloader exit program along with the drivers for Vista.

With the .118 I speculate that it just forces the pocket PPC to get the time info from the PC clock, but I haven't really seen anything else besides that.

Good luck!
    Last edited by sonikvoom; 03-26-2008 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Typo

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar
    Hey! There *is* still someone alive on this board!

According to what I've found, my .112 ROM is carrying AKU 2.0, while the .118 installs AKU 2.2 - do you, or does anyone else, know what specifically changed between those versions?

Gare_NY
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

In short... No.

I called UT Starcom and they said they couldn't rememeber what the specific upgrades were done on the AKU 2.0 and to refer back to the word document in the zip file which says the same thing as the last AKU 2.2

My phone works fine, the clocks sync, and takes about 30 seconds to do a soft reset.

An Adaptation Kit Upgrade (AKU) is like a Service Pack for Windows. The AKU's are not published anywhere by microsoft, but instead are given to the the service providers. Here is a lundry list of the changes AKU 2.0 http://www.utstar.com/pcd/downloads/...51_Updated.doc I coudn't find the one for AKU 2.2

For me not having to manually change the clock everytime I sync is nice. That's the only REAL difference for me.