+ Reply to Thread

Problems Following Recent Verizon Update

Following my recent installation of the Verizon update HA_VZW_207_117_01167_A12.exe and the reinstallation of the Broadcom Bluetooth software BT-PPC 1.6.0.0700 AV Installer-02-16-05.exe on my xv6600 w/ camera, I have experienced the following problems:

1. When I tap on the speaker icon on the Today screen, the level indicator for the PDA symbol is at the bottom and when I move it upwards, it always resets to the bottom. The level indicator for the phone is at the top. The speaker icon indicates there should be sound.
    2. There is no volume on the phone (i.e., no sound when I dial a number, no ring, no speakerphone, no voice on the other side, etc.)
    3. My Jabra BT8010 headset no longer works despite what seemed like a successful pairing with the PDA. There is now a stereo headset icon at the top of the Today screen that says my Jabra’s will be used to answer calls. The Bluetooth Manager indicates the unit and headsets are paired.
    4. When I try to play MP3 files on my SD card, a Windows Media window pops up that says “Cannot play the file. The file is either corrupted or the Player does no support the format you are trying to play.” Clicking “ok” does not close the window and I have to force it closed.

I looked on the Internet to see if the new update was creating this problem for other people, but I couldn’t find anything. Therefore, I did a hard reset and, prior to installing the Broadcom patch, I tested the phone, windows media player, MP3 files, etc. and everything worked fine. I reinstalled the Broadcom patch and all the problems came back.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this problem so I can listen to high quality audio through my Jabra’s?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
    MA

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar
    Hello,

Good to know I'm not the only one out there still utilizing this device.

It sounds like your BT patch is no longer compatible with the BT stack in this updated ROM. I would recommend this one, which is currently being hosted by an ex-user (now banned) of this forum named Ehud. Ehud was an arrogant, brutish little guy, but hey certainly had the technical chops.

In any event, check out MyEhud.COM. You'll need to type it into your browser, because (sometimes) any links to his site from PDAPhonehome give you an opening screen about how PDAPhonehome users are a bunch of dolts. He was a pleasant guy - wonder why he was given the boot..

Once you're on his site, drill down to the 6600 links, until you see option 5 - Various Installation Cabinets. After clicking this link, in the resulting directory, look for the patch named PDA2K_BroadcomCorp_BTUpdate.cab . That's the one you'll need. It provides the most recently updated BT stack for our device, which is 3900 (I can't tell from your file name, but it's likely you're using an older stack, perhaps 3500?).

Anyway, I've been using this patch on my XV6600 now for about a year, and it works great. Good luck!

Gare_NY
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

Thanks so much. Problem solved.

In fact, I already had Ehud's patch. I just thought it was an older one and the one I reinstalled was the most current. Obviously, I was wrong

And yes I know about Ehud. Before he would answer one of my posts, he wanted confirmation that I did not have anything to do with the RIAA. Other than that, I had no problem with him and he was quite helpful, although I realize he ruffled a few feathers.

I agree with your post in the “still hanging” thread about screen real estate, but I may be tempted by the new Touch Diamond that’s coming out.

Again, thanks so much. If you ever get offered a recording contract let me know and I’ll try to help

Best,
    MA

Glad to help - yeah, Ehud was a character.

Hey, since you and I seem to have parallel devices, tell me something: when you listen to BlueTooth music, can you hear your system sounds?

If I route my music through my Jabra 3030's, I can hear the tunes just fine, but all system sounds go away: menu clicks, alarms, everything. The second I turn off the music, I cna hear the sounds through the headset, but I can never hear both at the same time.

Note that with a wired headest, I can hear both at the same time. Also, this behaviour has occurred with both the Jabra's, and the Motorola S9's. It seems to be BT related, but heck if I can figure it out.

How about you?
    Gare_NY
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

Quote Originally Posted by Gare_NY View Post
    when you listen to BlueTooth music, can you hear your system sounds? Gare_NY
    Nope. i haven't tried to find a work around since it doesn't really bother me.

Sorry for the delay. I gave up after a few days.

Again, thanks so much for the input.

MA

Hi Gentlemen,

My bluetooth stack allows me to hear alerts and system sounds while music is playing. I'm using an ipaq A2DP profile though. I like it because all of my applications work with the controls on my headset.

SonikVoom

Hi there,

Do you know where I might be able to obtain this profile/stack? I'm using the 3900 stack that Ehud has on his site. On two different 6600's, it acts the same way - I can hear music, or sounds, but not both at the same time.

Thanks!!

Gare_NY

Hi Gare_NY here is the Ipaq patch I'm using

HP iPAQ h5500 Pocket PC series*-* HP iPAQ Bluetooth Stereo Headphones Driver Update - HP Business Support Center

I think this is the patch you are using

PDAgold.com :: View Topic - Broadcom Bluetooth Stack Patch for PDA2k Pocket PC Phones

The difference between the broadcomm and the ipaq patch is that the broadcomm is more stable but it doesn't let you use the controls. With the ipaq you can use the controls, but might have to reconnet your headphones every once in a while. Also, if you have the headphones set up as your ear piece more than likely when a call comes in it will turn off the headphones alltogether. It's best to use them for music only if you use the ipaq patch.

Good luck!

Awesome - that did the trick! Thanks a lot - it was driving me crazy that I couldn't hear my music and my system sounds at the same time. Additionally, it seems to exhibit the correct behaviour for me when I recieve a phone call: the music mutes, I can take the call, and when the call terminates, the music un-mutes. Now, my music doesn't pause, but A) it didn't used to when I was using the Broadcom 3900 A2DP patch either, and B) I suspect the lack of pausing is more of a TCPMP issue than a BT stack issue.

Also, for the record - with the Broadcom patch, I could always utilize the headset controls. It all depends upon the program that you're using: with WM10, there was a reg hack to the skin that had to be done in order for it to work. With TCPMP, the controls worked natively, though I did need to map them in the Hotkeys setup of that program.

Oh, and the one thing I've noticed too - this Ipaq patch seems to pair a *lot* faster and more consistently than the Broadcom/Ehud one. Since the original pairing, I haven't had to manually connect at all - it finds my headset almost instantly.

In any event, I also finally bumped myself up for the 2.07.112 ROM to the 2.07.118. I can't notice any real difference between the two (does anyone know? The release notes don't indicate much either), but all in all, my 6600 is now as updated and bullet-proof as I can make it. Oh, if only WM5 could've happened. Sigh.

Thanks again!
    Gare_NY
    Last edited by Gare_NY; 08-29-2008 at 10:34 AM.

You're welcome. That's great about the patch working. I have pairing problems with mine if I use the headphones for music and phonecalls. I may need to do that hack or it might be the firmware on the headphones.

In regards to the ...118 update, I called up starcom a few months ago because I had some problems with the update. Most of the fixes weren't major, the tech said it was mostly finetuning. I commented on another thread about it and mentioned a place were they have the list of things they do on each update based on the request of the carrier ...too lazy to go back and forth, cut and past on my xv6600.

If we could use rev A it would be nice, you can easily get 1 mbps or higher in good coverage areas as opposed to the 700 kbps peaks on the xv6600. Rev a is faster the the basic DSL plans at 728 kbps!

I gues it doesn't matter if I use the bluetooth to tether as opposed to the wired connection since the peak connection on the blutooth DUN is only about 300 kbps. Anybody else have any thoughs on tethering and rev a?

I was contemplating upgrading my device and using it as my main internet, specially if its faster than regular dsl. I've heard of some people using their wifi phones as routers for their computers and use the internet connection on their phone.

Anyways, I like bluetooth DUN because it's so convinient if everything is configures right and all you need to do to be online is open ie on you PC and be close enough to pair up with the phone...

SonikVoom
    Last edited by sonikvoom; 09-01-2008 at 12:40 PM.