+ Reply to Thread

ActiveSync 4.5 Unresolved Item on Audiovox XV6600

I'm suddenly getting 1 unresolved item that won't resolve in the calendar after syncing. When I hit "resolve", A "Check Names" box comes up, in Outlook '03 on the desktop computer, with a name from my contacts telling me he's in there more than once... but he's not. I've deleted the contact & it still had the issue, so I put it back in. It allows me to ok it but then another box comes up saying MS Outlook doesn't recognize a different contact. This one doesn't allow me to hit ok. When I cancel, it cancels the resolve process & ActiveSync still shows the unresolved item. I've tried deleting the 2nd contact as well.

Try a hard reset if all else fails. Always does the trick for me. The programs you installed should be saved in the "add/remove" programs but check so you can reinstall them from active sync.

I dread hard resets... always takes me a half-a-day to get everything back to where it was. Speed dial#'s, sound settings, Verizon's program updates (which I'm not sure where to find now) daylight savings time update, etc. However, after the last hard reset, I found back-ups in ActiveSync & have set it to do them on every sync. Will this retain all my updates & phone settings? One thing it might retain though would be the problem I'm having. How should I handle this?

Do you know what the latest version, build, etc, OS I should have in the phone with Verizon? Also, are you using ActiveSync 4.5? Is that the version I should be using with this phone?

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar
    Whoa whoa whoa... slwo down there, Hard-Reset-Boy!

I have been remiss in not mentioning this earlier, but: find and download SKTools. Even in the trial version of this super-powerful tool, there is a backup option. I regularly do a "Backup All", and on the odd occasion that I have a hard reset, I just plug the SD card containing my backups into the slot, and double click on the executable backup file, which restores *everything* the way it was. The only exception, the only tiny, teensy thing that it misses, is the Hardware Key Lock (y'know, in Settings.. the option to lock all keys except the Power Button).

This tool is full of other useful goodies, such as system tweaks, etc. Get that first, do a backup, the hard reset and see if, on a clean device, you still have the Activesync issue. If so, then just restore your device, and go on about your day. The restore, by the way, takes all of about 1 minute.

Have fun.

Gare_NY
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

That woks great if you already have backup...

If you don't the best thing to do is a hard reset.

Spite Backup is byfar the best. It even restores voice command with exacutables cabs.
    Last edited by sonikvoom; 12-02-2008 at 10:39 PM.

This one is free (the trial, anyway.. there's no time limit on it, but still..). It plops everything right back where it was originaly installed - every CAB, every driver (wifi, in this case), etc. I haven't used Sprite, but I know that one of the big selling points is that it makes the restore into an executable... but then again, so does SKTools.

Anyway, my two cents and all of that.

Gare_NY
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

Quote Originally Posted by Gare_NY View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa... slwo down there, Hard-Reset-Boy!

I have been remiss in not mentioning this earlier, but: find and download SKTools. Even in the trial version of this super-powerful tool, there is a backup option. I regularly do a "Backup All", and on the odd occasion that I have a hard reset, I just plug the SD card containing my backups into the slot, and double click on the executable backup file, which restores *everything* the way it was. The only exception, the only tiny, teensy thing that it misses, is the Hardware Key Lock (y'know, in Settings.. the option to lock all keys except the Power Button).

This tool is full of other useful goodies, such as system tweaks, etc. Get that first, do a backup, the hard reset and see if, on a clean device, you still have the Activesync issue. If so, then just restore your device, and go on about your day. The restore, by the way, takes all of about 1 minute.

Have fun.

Gare_NY
    Let me get clear on this.... do a backup, do a hard reset and then sync to check if the prob exists without restoring 1st? Then if the prob is fixed, do the restore, right?

Will the restore also restore all the OS updates? Those are a pain to find!

Also, before I get into downloading software, can't I just use the ActiveSync back-ups? Doesn't ActiveSynce restore *everything the way it was*??

Pardon all the newbie questions, but do I need to physically install the backup on the SD card or can I restore from the desktop?

That sounds like the right approach. I'm not sure if the glitch will go away since everything will be backed up.

Another thing you might want to try before the hard reset is to back up your contacts and appointments only and then restore them through Xbackup on either the storage or sd card. See if that will work.

Using active sync to back up is the best way to back up. Executables are more convinient on the go.

Xbackup does a does the same thing and it's already on your phone, but you have to open the program and do it from there. Good luck!

With SKTools backup, you install the program to your phone first (I did it via their CAB option). Then do a full backup to your SD card. The backed-up file will be on your SD card, as well as a mini-executable with which to restore it - the logic being, of course, that if your phone has hard-reset at some point, and you're not able to re-install the SKTools program, you can still restore your system easily.

While XBackup is pre-installed on your phone, it's primary purpose is to backup things such as appointments, contacts, etc. It won't do a full system backup.

Finally, in answer to your question - yes, this is a full system backup, including OS upgrades, drivers, any programs/games you've installed, Bluetooth upgrades, etc. As I travel a lot, and have to occasionally swap out my battery for one of my backup batteries, I've had to restore several times now, and it's pretty much flawless. (Once in a while, a battery swap will inexplicably cause a hard reset).

In your particular case, regarding the Activesync thing - I've encountered the Unresolved Issue thing before, and it always drives me nuts. Ultimately, it's sort of a non-issue though, and may not be worth all the hassle of a hard-reset, restore. Again, my two cents.

Gare_NY

Xback up does full backups, I've done them. You just need to store that huge file on a SD. And all the settings are backed up. I'm not saying any other third party programs are better or worse (although Sprite Backup is the only one I've seen fully restore Voice Command along with being able to choose which programs to restore, browser history, cookies, registry, etc in an executable), but Active Sync backup by far is your best option as far as full restore with all the settings and registry back the way they were.

WaWaZat if backing up and restoring the contacts and appointments only doesn't work and doing a full Active Sync backup, hard rest, and full Active Sync restore doesn't work sounds like a hard reset and clean start is not an option so best thing would be to leave things as is.

The last resort I do when programs start conflicting with one another is a hard reset and a clean start. That for sure gets rid of everything. Sometimes it's the order in which you install programs, other times it depends on which order you open and close them.

One other thing might be your settings on Active Sync if you haven't already checked them. That's all I can think of. Good luck and let us know if the problem goes away or yo get it resolved.
    Last edited by sonikvoom; 12-04-2008 at 11:52 AM.

My apologies, I was thinking of the Permanent Save app. Oddly enough, I don't have XBackup on my Settings menu, but I did find the executable in my Windows directory.

I any event, it sounds like Sprite and SK have similar functionality, so it just comes down to preference I suppose.

Gare_NY