+ Reply to Thread

Cannot restore from xBackup

After an unexpected hard reboot I now need to restore my appointments and contacts from xBackup. The problem is that xBackup cannot "find" my backup files. When I browse my device I can clearly see the following files:

AppointmentRecord.psave
    AppointmentRecordIndex.psave
    ContactRecord.psave
    ContactRecordIndex.psave

These files are located in \Storage\PerSaveBackup and they show appropriate save dates and file sizes. I'm convinced that my data is backed up, but I cannot figure out how to point xBackup to these files for a restore. I'll be very grateful if anyone can lend some guidance.

My device:
    HTC Blue Angel (Verizon XV6600)
    WM 2003SE

Thanks,
    Greg

have you checked to make sure you are restoring from storage instead of SD? If so, have you tried moving the files to youur SD and restoring from your SD? If that doesn't did you sync your data not to long before the hardreset? If you have you can just start fresh with the information on you outlook...

Yes, I've tried selecting both "Storage" and "Storage Card" in xBackup, but with no success. I've tried moving the .psave files to various locations on the card, including the root of the card, but still no luck. I'm almost out of options. I just finished my second phone call with Verizon tech support and they just say that's too bad, they did not write xBackup no longer support it. I also contacted HTC (which is now PCD) and they said that xBackup was loaded on this model of phone by Verizon, so they know nothing about it.

Sounds like your files got corrupted, if that was your only backup the only other option would be to see if you can get them open using hacks. Otherwise, your last back up on a PC or wireless sync is your last resort. I've moved from the 6600 to the Omnia. The times when my 6600 crashed and I had not backed up, it was frustrating but I had to reconstruct my data. GareNY uses a backup software and I use sprite back up. The only real way to avoid this situation is to back up. I learned the hard way through a couple of crashes.

Possibly *too* converged! Gare_NY's Avatar
    I make use of SKTools on an almost daily basis for a variety of things. Even the free trial version will allow you to do a full system backup. Check it out here: SKTools features

As I travel a bit and switch batteries, sometimes my 6600 kicks a hard reset (it's not always amenable to battery switching). It actually happened this morning, and I restored my backup and had everything (literally everything) back on my unit within 90 seconds.

The key is diligence. I did the backup this morning on the train, and had a hard reset not two hours later. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, I'm thankful for this utility. Also note that SKTools creates an executable file on your SD card, so you can restore on the fly.

Good luck - sorry about your xBackup issues.

Gare_NY
    'In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer'

Thanks to both of you. I really thought I was covered with xBackup, but I was obviously wrong. From this point forward, I'll be doing multiple backups, using Outlook (erg), Activsync and probably SK or Sprite. Meanwhile, for my last question, have either you ever heard of anyone using a hex editor or other tool to extract their data from a corrupt backup file? As you can see, I'm still reluctant to admit defeat.

Haven't heard about it, but it's interesting because I fried an SD card and would like to recover the data from there as well.