Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sprint EVDO and 6600/6601

I have called a few different sales people and they all say that the new 6601 DOES NOT support EVDO? I have been reading that it does, but the sprint.com website did not list it in the details so I thought i would call, i have a treo 600 and ordered the 650 and looking to go to the 6600 when it comes out

Administrator
    the current phones ( 00 and 01) do not support -do. even if they did, sprint doe not have -do up and running. -do on sprint will be well into the end of next year or early 2005...

Originally posted by Marctronixx
    the current phones ( 00 and 01) do not support -do. even if they did, sprint doe not have -do up and running. -do on sprint will be well into the end of next year or early 2005...
    A little misleading. The current versions have the EVDO chip set in them, but it is turned off since Sprint doesn't have any EVDO network up. Sprint said that they can (in the future) turn it on in the phone by a software patch.
    Jeff

HTC Fuze

Administrator
    i dont believe that but its possible. we know the basic phone setup can do -do, i just dont think sprint left the hardware in it.

we can look at the fcc pics to see if its in there..

the point still remains sprint does not have -do up and by the time they do most of you will have a newer ppc phone with the -do hardware in it.

i dont believe that but its possible. we know the basic phone setup can do -do, i just dont think sprint left the hardware in it.

we can look at the fcc pics to see if its in there..

the point still remains sprint does not have -do up and by the time they do most of you will have a newer ppc phone with the -do hardware in it.
    I wish I could remember where I saw it (been reading way too many forums about the PPC6601), but it was someone from Sprint that said it. Also, the Verizon version will be EVDO capable and I doubt that Audiovox/HTC would go to the trouble of making two different CDMA phones.

Regardless, I agree with you that it is probably moot since by the time Sprint turns on their EVDO network, we will all be talking about the MDA IV (or V) and other newer PPC phones.
    Jeff

HTC Fuze

True, the system is not up yet, but the 1x phones were out before the system was wide spread.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags

what is evdo

Administrator
    EVolution Data Only

bascially,

increased bandwidth for data approaching cable modem speeds

Well Verizon just announed EVDO for the 14 cities and just announed it for Dallas available today, so Sprint shouldnt be too far behind (lets hope)

I wouldn't count on it having EVDO internal, HTC ABSOLUTELY made different versions of this unit, as the Sprint one doesn't have WiFi but others do. I'd LOVE to see confirmation that there is EVDO in this unit by my sources say negative on that. If I hear differently I'll post.
    Tom

Originally posted by d2tw4all
    I wouldn't count on it having EVDO internal, HTC ABSOLUTELY made different versions of this unit, as the Sprint one doesn't have WiFi but others do. I'd LOVE to see confirmation that there is EVDO in this unit by my sources say negative on that. If I hear differently I'll post.
    Tom
    Hey, Tom, there are NO CDMA PDA2K's/PPC6600's/etc. with wifi. None. Nada. The only ones with wifi are GSM.

Originally posted by Iceman
    Hey, Tom, there are NO CDMA PDA2K's/PPC6600's/etc. with wifi. None. Nada. The only ones with wifi are GSM.
    And I can't believe that HTC went a head a made different CDMA versions with and without EVDO. All the CDMA versions that we know of have it (Verizon's version of it is also made by Audiovox and it has it, the i-mate PDA2K CDMA version available in Australia has it, the Unicom version in China has it). I had thought that this was confirmed with the Sprint version as well. Someone from Sprint said it was turned off since they don't have their network up and running and it could be turned on in the future when the network is up.
    Jeff

HTC Fuze

I know but my point was that there ARE different versions and different radio configurations so one can't just assume it's in there. Like I said, I don't have any concrete info on it but I'll try to get some.
    Tom

Administrator
    there were different versions of the hitachi G, so why not the 01?

again, sprint wont have -do out anytime soon....

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    The bottom, bottom line on this is that you have no way of knowing if Sprint will, or will not, ever make EVDO availble on this device. I would highly recommend not getting your hopes up for it, because upgrades to pdaPhones are rare. Even for them to turn it on, it would most likely need more FCC testing, etc... and by that time they'll have another device out.
    Mike - Been Converged?

According to Phone Scoop and the FCC web site, the device that was approved for Verizon and Sprint has EVDO in it. Here it the Phone Scoop link which can then be followed to the FCC documents: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=570
    Jeff

HTC Fuze

Administrator
    LOL... this wil never end..

ok i propose a comprimise....

lets just say the phone has -do hardware in it.. OK?

lets also say sprint wont have -do turned on officially until late next year or 2006.. OK?

you guys are spending way to much time arguing on this small issue. you cant use -do now.. just enjoy the phone and keep the rest of us, who are waiting out for the 00 and/or the ones riding the fence on if they should get this model phone or not, in the loop on how awesome this phone is?

K?

LOL... this wil never end..

ok i propose a comprimise....

lets just say the phone has -do hardware in it.. OK?

lets also say sprint wont have -do turned on officially until late next year or 2006.. OK?

you guys are spending way to much time arguing on this small issue. you cant use -do now.. just enjoy the phone and keep the rest of us, who are waiting out for the 00 and/or the ones riding the fence on if they should get this model phone or not, in the loop on how awesome this phone is?

K?
    Deal!

Actually, I totally agree with you. Also, I am holding out for Sprint to release the 6600, so until then, I am just drooling over it from afar.
    Jeff

HTC Fuze

The PPC660x does indeed have the capability for EVDO. It has a Qualcomm chipset (MSM6550, I think) which supports 1xEV-DO.

BTW, the DO stands for Data Optimized.

-BD

lets not assume that Sprint will take too long to release EVDO as Verizon just allowed EVDO today in Dallas where I live, so if you have EVDO capable phone u can get it today on Verizon in Dallas.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast