+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

how are you getting corporate email?

BC is ont available yet for the 660x I hear. How do you get email on the road with this device?

-rob

Until the new client is available, I am trying to use the web interface for BC. Visit http://bc.sprintpcs.com on your PDA and you still have full access.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    I tried BC about 9 months ago with Lotus Notes and never got it to work reliably. I spent about a month fussing with it and finally gave up. I later went to a Blackberry and absolutely loved it. I would pay big bucks to get the Blackberry client on this device. Anyone heard anything about that? Anyone reliably using BC with Lotus Notes?
    Mike - Been Converged?

That is dissapointing...

Thanks for the info.

-rob

I'm new to the PPC world.
    I connect directly with my Exchange server. What does BC do differently?

Try http://www.seven.com/beta and see if they'll let you guys into the beta program. Seven actually codes the BC software for Sprint. I've had this working on both the PDA2k and 6601, and the only issue is with alerting when new messages come in. Keep in mind that this program is BETA, so you'll have to learn to live with those types of issues for short periods of time.

Originally posted by tweety98
    I'm new to the PPC world.
    I connect directly with my Exchange server. What does BC do differently?
    It won't do anything for you, you are already living in Utopia! Seriously, the BC service is for people that can NOT connect directly to their server and need to have an intermediate PC behind the firewall that relays information to the device. Obviously your way is MUCH better.
    Mike - Been Converged?

How did you request to be in the beta program? The site of course needs an activation code. I was going to just email them but thought I would check if there was a better process.

Thanks.

and where do you get the validation code? Do they email it to you?

Thanks
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

Sprint BC

I am using BC from Sprint. It came available today. If you are already registered and go into the BC web client and click download, there is an option of Pocket PC 2003. I clicked there and it said it was for the ppc6601. Downloaded and works great. It still isn't available for direct download from the ppc6601.

I work for an enormous company. In fact top 3. Should give you a hint... Anyway, we're still using Exchange 2000. Can I use the 6601 to synch with the server? How would you suggest I access my email?

Originally posted by lkaufma1
    I work for an enormous company. In fact top 3. Should give you a hint... Anyway, we're still using Exchange 2000. Can I use the 6601 to synch with the server? How would you suggest I access my email?
    In order to directly access your server, which would be the best way, I think you need to contact your system administrator to get the information to connect. They have to give you access.

BC lets you connect if they will NOT do that. With BC, you will need to leave a PC connected and active inside the corporate network that is running the BC client. It then acts as a relay to your PPC6601 wirelessly. I use a laptop at work, so this isn't an attractive option to me.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Originally posted by Convergent
    In order to directly access your server, which would be the best way, I think you need to contact your system administrator to get the information to connect. They have to give you access.

BC lets you connect if they will NOT do that. With BC, you will need to leave a PC connected and active inside the corporate network that is running the BC client. It then acts as a relay to your PPC6601 wirelessly. I use a laptop at work, so this isn't an attractive option to me.
    Actually, I've contacted my company's IT mobile guru. (Lucky SOB - he has TWO MPXs, and several other pre-production units from various other companies) Anyway, he tells me that: 1. We are going to migrate to Exchange 2003 probably mid year 2005. 2. IT will not grant access to server information to a low level employee - only the owner's of football teams, oops! Did I say that??? I will have a computer logged onto my server at all times though.

_

Convergent,

Does your Lotus Notes server support IMAP4? I use BCPE with IMAP4 on a Novell server and it works. Now that they have the 6.3 software, it works even better.

For those who use Lotus Notes, take a look at mNotes for wireless mail and PIM functions. My shop runs Domino 5.12 and I have the nMotes server software running on the Lotus Notes email server.

I connect both my PPC and Kyocera 7135 to Lotus Notes through mNotes. mNotes is a replication based solution (as opposed to synched solution) - much like a thin Lotus Notes client.

Once Telus gets the PPC-6601 I will likely switch. However, I have been able to use my Kyocera 7135 to pick up and send Lotus Notes email through the server all over North America. So far it has been reliable and inexpensive.

Corporate email and Blackberry server

Hello all. I'm probably going to buy a Verizon 6600 soon (wish I could find one in a store and hold it first!) The single biggest reason to get ahold of a PDA-sized device is email, especially to my corporate Exchange server. However, my company will not allow external POP3 or IMAP access. I have one of two choices, and could use some advice.

1) The company does have Blackberry support but I don't like that Blackberry's often don't have bluetooth, no downloadable software, and no EV-DO yet. Is there a Blackberry "client" I can run on the VX6600?

2) The other alternative is to use IMAP from inside the VPN. I normally use a Checkpoint VPN client on my laptop. Is there something that should work similarly on the XV6600 and still work over EV-DO? Is this included or at least fairly cheap software?

My IT staff won't help me too much. If I can setup everything to get into the VPN or make my software look like a Blackberry client I'm sure they'll give me the parameters I need to set things up, however. Much thanks in advance!

~Tim

Blackberry has Blackberry Connect client software for the PPC, which should work with the XV, but you will likely also need to pay their monthly Blackberry charge.

blackberry email without push

I'm not really interested in the blackberry "over the air" aspect, but would be happy getting the email via a client that uses the EVDO internet access, is that possible? When looking at the Blackberry Connect it seems to imply that it requires a Blackberry plan from Verizon. Why would that be necessary if I have unlimited EVDO?

Just trying to get my email safely... If there is a good VPN product that may be easier if I would otherwise have to buy the Blackberry subscription. $45 for data + BB is a bit much.

Wireless sync software

We are using Intellisync (used to be Synchrologic) Mobile Suite. It consists of a Windows-based server sitting on your corporate network and communicating with your corporate Exchange server and a client running on your Pocket PC (they also support many other devices, including Palm, MS Smartphone, etc). The software also has some additional features like an ability to roll out software to users remotely, wipe out the device remotely, collect hardware and software inventory remotely, etc

The software has 2 downsides:

1. You have to configure your corporate firewall to pass either HTTP or HTTPS (your preference) traffic from the Internet to your Mobile Suite server.

2. The software uses SMS to emulate Blackberry Push technology, which may get expensive if you pay per SMS message and you receive a lot of email

Check it out at http://www.intellisync.com/go/produc...uite/index.cfm

Another competitor in this market segment is Visto Software (www.visto.com). However, when I worked with them 2 years ago they used a stupid software design, which involved THEM storing YOUR corporate email on THEIR servers and paying THEM for the storage.