+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VOID Sticker

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar

VOID Sticker

Does anyone else have a small sticker that says "VOID" under their battery?

I got mine on eBay and I'm having activation problems with the ESN.. Just wondering if I got screwed..
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

Administrator
    *shrugs* could be a quality control issue... maybe didnt meet expectations..

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Re: VOID Sticker

Originally posted by really fat kid
    Does anyone else have a small sticker that says "VOID" under their battery?

I got mine on eBay and I'm having activation problems with the ESN.. Just wondering if I got screwed..
    The void sticker is covering one of the four screws that holds the device together. You'd have to remove that sticker to open the case, so it is supposed to be there. If it is gone, then your warranty is gone with it!
    Mike - Been Converged?

Phew.. there is still hope. Thought I bought an illegit ppc-6601.

Maybe someone can help me out here. Here's whats happened over the last week.

1. Called *2.. " I don't think that its a Sprint phone." (Which is odd because non-Sprint phones dont connect to Sprint customer service when *2 is dialed.)

2. Tier 2 tech support. "Your ESN is not in the RMA database. Go to a Sprint Store and have them enter it manually."

3. On Wednesday I went to a Sprint store and the tech was very competent.. He submitted a template to the Sprint team that is in charge of all ESNs. He said the ESN would be in the nationwide database within 1-2 business days.

4. I've called *2 every day since Friday and the phone is still not recognized as a sprint phone.

5. I called the tech and he says there's nothing else he can do..

Does anyone have any suggestions or a phone number I can call to cut through all the tier 1/2 BS?

I signed a new contract with Sprint on Friday so I have 10 more days to cancel my contract with them (thinking of using that to light a flame under their asses.)

But my biggest concern is that this phone will never be activated because its not a legit phone and I'm out $600. PM me with any sensitive info. Thanks.

RFK
    Last edited by really fat kid; 11-16-2004 at 04:06 PM.
    Chunk Style

I would call cs and tell them you are cancelling service. They will forward you to rentention. Retention will not have any technical capability, but they do get stuff done. They will at the very least escalate your issue.

This is not a question of if sprint can do something, they certainly can. You just need to cut through the beurocracy.

Good luck

Just a wild guess. Try provisioning the phone by changinging your Vision password. If it's in the database it might work.

Originally posted by mswlogo
    Just a wild guess. Try provisioning the phone by changinging your Vision password. If it's in the database it might work.
    I dont think that will do anything, because the current phone on my account is my G1000.
    Chunk Style

Originally posted by robber
    I would call cs and tell them you are cancelling service. They will forward you to rentention. Retention will not have any technical capability, but they do get stuff done. They will at the very least escalate your issue.

This is not a question of if sprint can do something, they certainly can. You just need to cut through the beurocracy.

Good luck
    Good thinkin.. If its not in by 5pm today, I'm going to try that. Thanks Robber.
    Chunk Style

Administrator
    you can have multiple accounts with different vision passwords. i have 2 accounts under my account.

changing the usrername password CAN provoke a provision, BUT if sprint is slow in provisisoning your phone this could kick it back out of the que and you will be waiting a lot longer...

best thing to do chunk style is to call sprint... i know.. i know.. but its the best thing to do at this point...

Phew.. there is still hope. Thought I bought an illegit ppc-6601.

Maybe someone can help me out here. Here's whats happened over the last week.

1. Called *2.. " I don't think that its a Sprint phone." (Which is odd because non-Sprint phones dont connect to Sprint customer service when *2 is dialed.)

2. Tier 2 tech support. "Your ESN is not in the RMA database. Go to a Sprint Store and have them enter it manually."

3. On Wednesday I went to a Sprint store and the tech was very competent.. He submitted a template to the Sprint team that is in charge of all ESNs. He said the ESN would be in the nationwide database within 1-2 business days.

4. I've called *2 every day since Friday and the phone is still not recognized as a sprint phone.

5. I called the tech and he says there's nothing else he can do..

Does anyone have any suggestions or a phone number I can call to cut through all the tier 1/2 BS?

I signed a new contract with Sprint on Friday so I have 10 more days to cancel my contract with them (thinking of using that to light a flame under their asses.)

But my biggest concern is that this phone will never be activated because its non a legit phone and I'm out $600. PM me with any sensitive info. Thanks.

RFK
    Man, this is quite terrible. Have you tried the.. "I want to speak to your manager" deal? Do you have any idea where the phone came from... the US? Does it have the Sprint logo on it? If it is a Sprint phone, then it seems that they should be able to activate it. The retention department may be the way to go. Maybe they can get you a warranty exchange or something, although I went through quite an ordeal the last time I did that for something close to the same reason.

Here is what happened to me. I bought a Treo 600... and it died. I had got it through the business channel, so the store wouldn't replace it. I had to go through the 1-800 number, which I did. They sent me a new phone, and all was well. It broke again about 9 months later. This time, I went back to the store again. They said the ESN number wasn't in their system and so I needed to show them the receipt where I bought it. But, since I didn't buy it, I had no receipt. They made me go through a lot of hoops and find the packing list that came with it... which by a complete miracle I still had... and then the store exchanged it. The thing is that they had a form they could have filled out for a warranty replacement with missing ESN I think.

Have you tried just telling them that someone gave you the phone as a gift and you want to activate it? Its kind of a strange position for them to take... since they usually want you to sign a contract at all costs.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Hey Mike,

Yes, the phone has the sprint logo on it and it was sent to me from new york. I have not tried speaking to the manager because the tech at the sprint store has seriously done everything he can. I think the team in charge of adding ESNs to the nationwide DB is taking their time OR (worse) its a test model or beta test phone. The phone is brand new with no scratches of any kind. It came with an extra battery and an extra stylus, which is weird because people who bought the phone direct through Sprint only got one battery. Anyhow, the help desk is supposed to call me back in about 30 minutes. I hope this gets resolved.
    Chunk Style

Here's the thing... most likely the "Sprint Store" is not really a Sprint owned store. I had the 800 number tell me that the local store was a Sprint owned store, and I further had the clerk in the store tell me that, but then I'm standing there looking at the side of their terminal and it has a property tag on it... and the name of the company on the tag wasn't Sprint PCS. I then asked to speak to the manager, and after several questions he admitted that they aren't a Sprint owned store. Then I got the 800 people on the phone, and they argued with the people in the store a little bit, then I got back on the phone and she told me they used to be a Sprint owned store, but aren't any more. My point in all of this, is that you may have to deal with the 800 number to get anywhere if you are in fact dealing with a store thats not owned by Sprint.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Hey Mike,

It is mind-boggling that a sprint store isnt owned by sprint. Are sprint stores franchised?
    Chunk Style

Hey RFK,
    Seriously, your best move would be to call retention the exact minute they open (7 am Central). Tell them you got it as a gift from your Uncle in New York, and tell them that you have screwed around long enough with this and that you want it fixed imeadiately or you will drop Sprint and move on to another carrier that CAN help you. If you say all this in a nice, cordial manor, things WILL get done via retention. They are the ultimate in problem solvers when loosing a customer's account is on the line.
    Phone, Radio, and Fiber Geek

Will do.. Thanks for sharing your experiences with me.
    Chunk Style

Hey Mike,

It is mind-boggling that a sprint store isnt owned by sprint. Are sprint stores franchised?
    Almost all cellphone stores are dealers...not owned by the carrier. Dealers make money with activations... so they don't really want to do other things. I believe that the big stores that really look like carrier stores have to do certain things, but they still may not want to.... and they definitely won't do anything if they risk losing money. Sprint may have told them they can't activate a phone that isn't in the system, or they lose the commission fee or something.
    Mike - Been Converged?

bobbylingo has done this before. I love the "got this as a gift" line, used it successfully many times myself. The intersting thing is that sprint cannot tell where any of their phones come from. The guy that buys the phone on ebay is just as likely to get areplacement as the guy that bought it at the corporate store.

kind of odd.

-rob

Hey RFK,
    Curious to find out how things worked out for you - any luck with retention and/or getting your ESN into the system?
    Phone, Radio, and Fiber Geek

Hey Hat,

I appreciate your input on this, I know you know a lot about these things.

I would demand a DHRP, but Sprint stores dont carry this phone yet. The phone does not have any Prototype tags or labeling, which is a good sign. Like I said, my biggest fear is that I was sold a non-legit phone and I'm out $600.

I wrote the seller on eBay and asked where he got it.. His response was:

"i bought it off this guy who said they got it directly from sprint"

Sounds like it was fenced to me.

Hat, I have a very important question: is there a way to get sprint to add an ESN without submitting a resolution template to feedback. I'd REALLY like to just call someone and have them enter it while I'm on the phone. After NINE days of them trying to add the ESN to the RMA database, I'm STILL waiting to activate this phone.

RFK
    Chunk Style

Originally posted by hatoncat
    No, they can tell, it's just most reps were asleep during the part of training... or their trainer was alseep during the part of training...

All warranty replacements are supposed to be checked with the ESN history of the phone, if there is more than one owner, the replacement is supposed to be rejected. Your mileage varies solely based on the competence of the rep/store you are in front of.
    Wow the incompetance at sprint never ceases to amaze me. I have never had an issue with a swap, and I almost never buy phones from sprint.

-rob