+ Reply to Thread

windows mobile 2k3 same as PPC 2003

is it the same OS? I keep downloading applications for ppc 2003 and when installed they all say something to the effect of the software was designed for an older version of PPC and might not display right....

Administrator
    micro changes the name form ppo 2003 to win mobile 2003.

they are the same but there is a new version WM2003SE...

ok, well, i'm getting error messages on everything i install that is supposedly 2k3 compatible. I've hard reset the device and will resync tomorrow and start over again. If I can't get to a point soon where I feel like this OS is stable, it's going back to sprintpcs asap. I used to complain about my treo 600 being buggy, but this is no better...

Administrator
    the OS is stable. the program(s) may be not. could even be user error. tons of people have the SE version already (i700)

list what apps you are installing and/ or links to them...

thunder hawk - locks up the phone
    sbp pocket plus - locks up the phone
    pocket-dvd studio - all sorts of problems

there are a few others that i've installed and gotten a message saying "designed for an older device" that end up behaving strangely as well...

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Originally posted by kenn
    ok, well, i'm getting error messages on everything i install that is supposedly 2k3 compatible. I've hard reset the device and will resync tomorrow and start over again. If I can't get to a point soon where I feel like this OS is stable, it's going back to sprintpcs asap. I used to complain about my treo 600 being buggy, but this is no better...
    The error messages you are getting are "probably" nothing to worry about. Most of the apps I've installed get the same message, but run fine. I believe this is just a warning to tell you that the app was not compiled specifically for WM2003, and many apps were not... but work fine.

What OS stability problems are you having... I've really had nothing that caused me concern so far with the PPC6601.
    Mike - Been Converged?

I get those error messages installing apps on the i-mate PDA2K also, but none of the apps have failed to run. The issue is that most apps weren't compiled specifically for Windows Mobile 2003 Phone Edition.
    John

apps randomly sieze -- even pocket outlook does sometimes. It's seized a couple of times during the sync process... it just said disconnecting on screen at bottom and wouldn't respond. I've had to press the reset button on a significant number of occasions to get the phone to unlock. I'm about done with this device... I may have just gotten a bad one, but it was doomed from the start. During the initial activesync install, it somehow corrupted my windows temp directory and it took my a while to finally get that corrected so I could get a good install. It's been hit or miss since then.

I think I'm going to send it back to sprint and get a treo 650 and as soon as bluetooth tethering is enabled (assuming it is), i'll get one of the new VGA pocket pcs to play with as a cool toy and use the 650 the way i really need it to be -- solid phone with tightly integrated contacts and simple, but effective email. Snappermail fits the bill well there. The little 'J' key is an awesome timesaver....