+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Initial Battery Charge

Okay - hopefully when I get home today, I'll find a PPC6601 waiting for me. Seems like I had read that it is important to do a full 8 hour charge before you do anything with the phone. Is this in effect true? Also, can you be messing with the phone while it charges? Unfortunately I will be synching this phone with my work PC, so I won't be able to do any thing of substance like installing all my favorite PPC software until tommorrow morning, so I guess it doesn't matter that much, but still knowing me I'm going to want to play with this baby some tonight.

Re: Initial Battery Charge

Originally posted by wolfpackfan
    Okay - hopefully when I get home today, I'll find a PPC6601 waiting for me. Seems like I had read that it is important to do a full 8 hour charge before you do anything with the phone. Is this in effect true? Also, can you be messing with the phone while it charges? Unfortunately I will be synching this phone with my work PC, so I won't be able to do any thing of substance like installing all my favorite PPC software until tommorrow morning, so I guess it doesn't matter that much, but still knowing me I'm going to want to play with this baby some tonight.
    Most of the newer phones with the newer batteries don't require a full charge before you start playing with them. I pretty much set up the cradle with power and start charging while I go through the setup routine on PPC's. (I have several.) Once it is set up, I do usually let it charge overnight before doing any real work with it.
    John

Exclamation battery charging...

now, are these devices rigged to cut off energy flow to the battery once a full charge is achieved? Meaning, will leaving the device on cradle charging wear down the battery?

I usually sleep longer than it takes to charge the device... (my precious) ergo my concern.

P.S.

How long b4 palm goes out of business, and how long b4 Apple makes a pda?

EVDO de$troy$ wifi.
    _C-

<a href="http://rechords.com/survival_kit.JPG" target="_blank"><b><font color="blue">>_< </font></b></a><br />

The technology that goes along with Li-on batteries monitors the battery's temperature and adjusts the charge rate accordingly. Leaving your device in the charger should be no problem.

Administrator
    the main thing you need to do is excercise the battery cells often. and avoid unneccessary charging

Question To charge or not to charge? That is the question...

OK. Never mind that I know have more transformers, adapters, cables, then I know what to do with, I still have questions. I'm pleased that the convergent AC/Car charger from Boxwave uses USB, and now that I am getting a Bluespoon AX I'll be able to charge both devices remotely with a minimum of traveling cables.

The "old" concept I used to follow for re-charging a device was to drain it all the way down before charging it back up......something about residual battery memory.

Now that I have a cradle, and battery life is a key, I find that I recharge my PPC every time I get a chance. Is this "bad" for the battery?

Also, what about the other devices like BT headset or my GPS by i.Trek? Should I let them drain all the way too?

Any guidelines about battery types, charging practices, etc would be much appreciated....

Because the phone uses a lithium ion battery, there are no "memory" issues you have to worry about. Theoretically, you do not need to drain it and then do full charges. Although, I would recommend that on a new battery that you let it fully charge and discharge 2-3 times. After that, I believe it is recommended that you charge it whenever you can. I recall hearing that will make the battery last longer.

I know some of the new batteries lives will be maximed by charging it as often as possible. The instructions on my Treo 600 stated to charge it whenever it was possible. Does the PPC-660x use the same type of battery?

I think the "old" concept you describe was for old fashioned nickel based batteries like NiCads. They have a 'memory' issues. Basically if you repeatedly recharge them without fully draining they would hold less and less of a charge over time.

Lithium based batteries, the kind in most modern PDAs, are different. You should not fully drain them if you can avoid it. That will decrease the life of the battery. Keep them topped off. I leave mine in the charging cradle at home when it's not in use.

does this apply to bluetooth headset batteries too. i really don't do alot of talking to drain my bt250 but i've been afraid to leave it in the charger because of these types of issues. i can easily go over a week on 1 charge it seems. i have no way of knowing how much power is left.

The guidelines in my post should apply to any device that uses a particular battery technology:
    nickel - discharge fully before charging
    lithium - do not fully discharge; keep it topped off

Of course, if your product manual says something different then follow the manual.

uhh, crap. I just drained both batteries...

...oops

Administrator
    the more you charge Li-IONs the shorter the life of the battery in terms of charging...

when you charge these batts, some of the cells turn into paste. this "paste" can not hold a charge. over time, as more and mroe paste builds up, charging cycles are reduced. over this course, the battery charge times will get shorter and shorter.. one would think his battery is fully charged..it would technically, but the cell will have reduced its overall storage capacity resulting in less battery usage times.

LI-IONs are not prone to batt memory as others have posted, but popping them back in the charger every time you stop using it will in fact do more harm than good.

FWIW, my old LG vx4400 went on the charger almost every night, and after 2 years, I would still get 2 days out of it if I forgot to charge it (down from ~2 1/2 - 3 days when brand new). Once a month or so I would let it run just about all the way down.
    -Lee
    Samsung i730
    Ridata 1GB SD Card, Transcend 4GB SD card, PPC Tech Audio Adapter

Slightly OT but not....

Any ideas when the extended battery is coming out?

Originally posted by Dmotto
    Slightly OT but not....

Any ideas when the extended battery is coming out?
    Check the FAQ. It has a link to a 3rd party website that has an extended battery coming out soon'ish. (within the month the distributor has been saying).

2000mAh or something. There's a 3000 listed, but no pricing is available, and it looks like a huge wart on the back of the ppc.

btf

Just as a data point, I have had the Samsung I300 since it came out. I leave the spare battery on the charger all the time and change it every morning. After about 4 years, the battery life is about 50% of what it was.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Originally posted by PRMan
    Just as a data point, I have had the Samsung I300 since it came out. I leave the spare battery on the charger all the time and change it every morning. After about 4 years, the battery life is about 50% of what it was.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Like anything, I'm sure it depends on the quality of the battery. My Treo 600 has a noticably shorter battery life after 8 months of continuously charging it whenever not in use.

Cradle without charging possible?

Is there a way to disable charging while the ppc6600 is in its cradle? Even if I disconnect the AC adapter it still charges via USB.

I want to do this so that I can sync/install apps without repeatedly "topping off" a battery that's 99% charged (that's bad for the battery, right?)

If it's not possible - what are the other methods of sync'ing and how fast are they compared to cradle?

Re: Cradle without charging possible?

Originally posted by Wozzer
    Is there a way to disable charging while the ppc6600 is in its cradle? Even if I disconnect the AC adapter it still charges via USB.

I want to do this so that I can sync/install apps without repeatedly "topping off" a battery that's 99% charged (that's bad for the battery, right?)

If it's not possible - what are the other methods of sync'ing and how fast are they compared to cradle?
    Not possible unless you remove the charging pins from the cradle. By default, every USB port supplies 5V and the cradle is just passing that along to the phone.

I don't think it's really that bad for the battery. Lithium ion doesn't have a memory so I think it's fine. This is all such an inexact science though.

Other methods of syncing? There are three:

IR (Infrared)
    BT (Bluetooth)
    Network (TCP/IP)

None of these three are quite as easy as USB, but they all work, assuming you've got the right hardware and configuration on your PC.

IR is probably the easiest of the three, so long as you've got an IR port (basically, any laptop, but you can buy them 3rd party--they connect via USB). If you've got IR enabled in your computer's BIOS, it should show up in device manager under the category "Infrared Devices". Then you just go into connection settings of ActiveSync and choose "allow serial or infrared connection on this COM port" (or alternately, run the get connected wizard again).

Bluetooth can be tricky but I've gotten it working on mine. I think it is definitely easier if you use the built-in Windows XP Bluetooth stack/drivers than the one that comes with your bluetooth dongle. There is a writeup in the FAQ about how to do it so I won't repeat that here. I think there's a lot of info on the web too... try searching google for "Bluetooth activesync" and see what comes up.

The other alternative is via TCP/IP. This is a cool solution, but probably the most difficult to set up for our devices because they don't have Wifi or wired ethernet adapter in them. The only built in network adapter is the cell radio. So this means opening a ton of ports on your computer's and network's firewall to let the device connect in via the Internet. Alternately, you can set up a VPN, but at that point you're talking a lot of complicated variables to set up.

I think IR or Bluetooth will be your best bet, or just keep using USB--I really doubt it will hurt your battery.

Dan