+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What wifi card to get?

I've heard of compatibility issues with sandisk. Any recommendations?

PLease tell me someone has even tried a wifi card....

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Haven't heard of anyone trying one yet. Its only been out for a week, and Vision is pretty fast. I don't intend to add WiFi to the mix personally.
    Mike - Been Converged?

i have tried the sandisk 256mb + wifi card, which i was really excited about... but it does not work and i would bet the hosue and farm it never will. there are very few ppc's that it works with. i called thier support and was told by a level three tech that they have no intention of building a driver for 2003se! this totally blew me away. it was like they were saying that they will support older devices but not new ones. idiots. needless to say i have to get rid of that card now, although i have seemed to have misplaced the plastice wrapper it came in so it will go on ebay. again it is a shame as it would have been alost the ideal solution (perfect would have been 802.11g + 1gb).

so to replace it i ordered a socket card. i will test it out tomorrow. although i am still unsure if i am going to keep my 6001. it seems as if a lot of the phone features are a complete afterthought. while i don't expect it to be the same as using a reg cellphone, the implementation of the phone features are still a bit clunky at best.

anyway as for wifi, i'll let everyone know how the socket card fares.

e

Sorry to hear about the WiFi + 256MB not working. I have one that works great in my i700, but not my i-mate. (My Socket SDIO card does work in the i-mate, so it may have more compatible drivers.) It's a known issue, but doesn't look like they will resolve it anytime soon.
    John

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Originally posted by mmcxiiad
    ... although i am still unsure if i am going to keep my 6001. it seems as if a lot of the phone features are a complete afterthought. while i don't expect it to be the same as using a reg cellphone, the implementation of the phone features are still a bit clunky at best. ...
    e
    What you describe is something that you learn to adjust to with time. It is in fact the Microsoft Phone Edition design that you are dealing with, so any Windows Mobile or Pocket PC phone will exhibit the same situation. One thing to do, if you haven't already, is get a good screen protector like a WriteShield, and then put the stylus away. I use my finger on the screen to do almost everything, and it makes it much more phone like when you do that. I am NOT going to be using a stylus to make a call. Likewise, the built-in keyboard adds a lot to this equation too. You can get everything working pretty smoothly and phone like if you learn the best ways of the device... but you are correct that it is not nearly as integrated as the Treo 600 and their one-handed operation.
    Mike - Been Converged?

EDIT: this post went a little overboard for this thread. to resolve this, i started a new thread with this info, that is probably the best way to handle this. here is the link:

new thread
    Last edited by mmcxiiad; 11-18-2004 at 01:37 PM.

I thought this thread was about wi-fi?

i know - sorry, i orriginally was only talking about wifi and then mike responded about the general nature of the phone edition. my original intention was to just do a quick reply...

...apparently i went a little overboard. to help keep this on track i moved my responce to mike's post to a new thread. anyway, i'll let everyone know how the socket card is in a few hours.

-e

Last edited by mmcxiiad; 11-18-2004 at 01:31 PM.

No prob. Obviously there is some passsion behind this phone!

the socket card works. when i say works , i mean that i installed the drivers plugged in the card and am able to surf the net.

here is the link to the card on socket's site if anyone is interested:

hxxp://www.socketcom.com/product/WL6200-480.asp

i have not done a lot of testing on it so no results yet on power(battery) usage or speeds. but if anyone is interested in that i can post more later. Hope this helps

e

Definitely interested!!!! Thanks for the info. Just stinks that you can't use the Sandisk that has added memory capacity at the same time. I assume Socket doesn't make a dual card like Sandisk.

Originally posted by lkaufma1
    Definitely interested!!!!

ME TOO!

i should have more info after the weekend is over. i hope you can hold out til then.

Well, how does it work?

sorry that it has taken so long to get back with everyone about the socket card. it has been an interesting weekend. but i don't think anyone is as interested in that as apposed to my review of the socket wifi card.

to start off i want to get something out of the way. i know we have mentioned it, but sandisk is crap. i am so disappointed that they have chosed not to develop drivers to be used more of the devices on the market. obviously the wifi+256mb card would have been ideal. but that is enough complaining from me on this as it is counter productive.

ok the socket card. first i have never owned any of thier products, but they have a long standing history of being the non-inexpensive option but having a high quality product. the sdio wifi card seems to be no different. install the driver, plug in the card and it works... well at least that is the big picture.

it comes with a great utility that gives you all sorts of info: signal strength (in both the bars and a percentage), ip info etc. i have not had the time to really explore all of the details on the utilitity as i wanted. i may be able to revisit this after the turkey/black friday weekend if time allows and based on interest.

also the card seems to be fairly conservative on battery use. i did not use the card from full battery to drain, but i didn't feel like the battery was wasting away either. unfortunity, the only true way to test battery life of this card would be to compare it to others, but that was not an option.

range seemed pretty good. not nearly as great as my wife's ibook, but not much lower then my powerbook. In our bedroom (basestation was 40ft away and through several walls) i was getting about 40-45%... of course your environment will determin your situation. honestly there are so many things that can affect wireless netwroks that it can be hard to pint a finger at one or another. that being said, i am very pleased with the range of the card.

i only have 3 issues that should be mentioned - although i think that the first 2 have more to do with the 6601 as apposed to the socket card:

1. when you plug in the card, it can take the ppc a little while to realize that you want to connect to the internet though the wifi card and not by connecting to sprint's vision service. once connected it worked beautifully. but keep an eye on it until you get past that transition.

2. when you put in the card it feels like it can be pulled out way to easily. normally you push an sd card in and it pops out. but cards that are longer seem to be able to pull out to easily. in fairness i have noticed this issue on more devices then just the 6601, but none the less it would be nice if it locked in to place a little better.

3. the sandisk card came with a plastic case for thier wifi card - a longer version of the standard sd plasitc cases. socket should have included one of these. as an appendage to this it can be a little tricky figuring out a way to carry the card around with you as the case included with the 6601 has no place for it.

after you get over dealing with those few issues, the socket wifi is a great wireless solution for your 6601. I think it retails for about $130 and I got mine for $85.

I hope this helps you guys

e

awesome....thanks a lot. I know that this has been a very important detail to iron out for some of us.
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

May I ask how you found the speed of surfing and such? I have heard that past a certain point, the PPC is the bottleneck, and not the network speed.

Do you find that, when on wifi, you have a 'computer' like surfing experience, with regards to the speed of pages coming up?

Thanks,

Ben
    Ben Freedman

This is a slightly complex question to answer. Becouse no matter how fast the connection the ppc's guts are not as fast as your pc. so no matter how fast you get data to your computer, it still has to process, render and display the code in to what you see in your browser.

Now, that being said, the wifi is substatially faster then vision. no comparison. is it worth it? well that depends on you and if you need that type of access... or more often then not, want the speed. I know for me, i have noticed a huge performance differnence.

but now that i think about it, when you dock you ppc, it can surf through your usb connection to the pc. and the speeds are about the same as that. that is probably a good example of what you could expect (ymmv)

e

A question - did you by any chance try accessing files from a desktop PC via the WiFi connection? I do this all the time with the WiFi on my Axim. I love being up in my bedroom and listening to mp3 files stored on my desktop down in the den.