+ Reply to Thread

New PPC 6601 and Pocket PC User

I have several questions about this phone. I am absolutely thrilled with it so far. I had been using the samsung I-330 for 18 months, so this is an incredible upgrade.

What are some websites I need to know about?

What is PIE? Where would I go to download thunderhawk? Is it a better browser?

Is it possible to get a program and use this as a GPS?

I had pocketmoney on my Palm I-330 is there a comparable program for Pocket PC (simple to use, nothing overkill)?

Anything really need to check out(IE websites to download ringers and games)? What is the best case for this phone?

What steps do I need to take to use the phone as a modem for my laptop (on a limited bases of course)

I know these have probably been covered, but I just found this website and I just got into the PocketPC world. Thanks in advance.

Websites: This one, Howard Forums, Pocket PC Thoughts, PocketPCFreewares, Pocket Gear, FreewarePPC.com,

Here's one for audiobooks: www.audiobooksforfree.com/screen_main.asp

Yes, I have heard that GPS works.

I am looking for a suitable replacement app for tracking expenses too.

I think cases should be appearing soon. Since this is so new (to US market) it should really start picking up after the introduction of the 6600. I personally like a screen protector and slip it in my front left pocket (where nothing else resides).

I am wondering about the modem too.

Welcome to the club.
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Re: New PPC 6601 and Pocket PC User

Originally posted by soonerbred03
    I have several questions about this phone. I am absolutely thrilled with it so far. I had been using the samsung I-330 for 18 months, so this is an incredible upgrade.

What are some websites I need to know about?
    This one, this one, and this one.... just kidding. The prior post has pointed you in the right direction.

What is PIE? Where would I go to download thunderhawk? Is it a better browser?
    PIE... don't laugh... is Pocket Internet Explorer. This is the app that comes on the device. Bitstream's Thunderhawk is at http://bitstream.com/wireless/produc...tpc/index.html . It is a totally different browser model. With Thunderhawk, a server at Bitstream actually runs a browser, gets the page, and then sends only what is on the screen to your Pocket PC. It runs in landscape mode, uses a proprietary set of fonts, and actually renders full screen web pages better than anything else out there. Some people like the model, some don't. It is a subscription service, but they have a trial. There are also other browsers out there, and add-ons like PIE+ that let you do multiple tabbed pages at the same time. I would use PIE for a while and see what you like and don't like before jumping on one of the others. I primarily use PDA formatted pages, so it works pretty well for me.

Is it possible to get a program and use this as a GPS?
    The PPC6601 will work great with a GPS. You have a lot to choose from on this point. Some of the top GPS and mapping companies are Pharos, TomTom, CoPilot, NavMan, PocketMap, and Mapopolis. There are also a lot of other companies that just make GPS receivers. You have a couple of options with the PPC6601... a cable attached serial receiver, or a Bluetooth wireless receiver. With the cable attached, you'd use a Y cable in the car to power you PPC6601 and the GPS from your lighter, while also providing the serial interface to the GPS. With the Bluetooth, you will still need a cable to power them in the car, or your screen will keep going dead.

I use the RoyalTek BlueGPS Mini RBT-1000 http://www.semsons.com/roybluegminr1.html which was rated the highest in a test by http://gpspassion.com . It is very small, very sensitive, and very fast. I also use Mapopolis for software. It has a very simple 2D interface, and its rerouting engine is very fast. I have tried most of the major brands and ended up chosing these. All of the GPS receivers are going to be similar, except that they may be slow to startup and find themselves. I tried another popular Bluetooth GPS and didn't like it because it would take 5 minutes sometimes to get its initial location. That is too long for me. The RoyalTek has never taken more than a minute, and usually it's near instantaneous because it's already found itself by the time I get Mapopolis going and pointed at it.

I had pocketmoney on my Palm I-330 is there a comparable program for Pocket PC (simple to use, nothing overkill)?
    If you still have the CD that came with PocketMoney, then you can keep using it... the CD has a Palm version and a Pocket PC version on there. There are also a number of other packages on the market... including Pocket Quicken. I usually by my software at http://www.pocketgear.com/index.asp?...ssociateid=207 (affilliate link)

Anything really need to check out(IE websites to download ringers and games)? What is the best case for this phone?
    Cases aren't really out yet... should be in a few more weeks. I like EB Case and Bellagio Designs. They both have very good, and affordable cases.

What steps do I need to take to use the phone as a modem for my laptop (on a limited bases of course)
    I haven't gotten to this yet.

I know these have probably been covered, but I just found this website and I just got into the PocketPC world. Thanks in advance.
    Welcome... there is a lot this thing can do. Just dig in and learn as you go... don't get frustrated at the bumps along the way.
    Mike - Been Converged?

THANKS! That helped so much!!!!!!!!! I will stay with it. Love the phone and this website!

After searching all over the web for a freeware finance management app that would suffice for my everyday needs, I came across MS Money.

I know I know....DUH.

Well not really. I don't use a financial tracking software on my PC, so I wouldn't know about MS offering MS Money for PPC for free.

Compared to all of the free apps that track expenses, this one is the shiznit. So, if your still searching for an app like this, give it a shot.
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

How much was MS Money? did you find it at Pocketgear.com? Thanks .

fuhreeeeeee!!!!!

Just go here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...ads/money.mspx

Have fun!

that link you posted above about the microsift money is an add-in for the desktop version. basically it takes your data and syncs it with your pda. i have never used it stand alone, but it is pretty good in conjustion with the desktop. considering how cheap you can get money (manytimes free with your pc) this is a great option. but if you use it without the desktop.... ymmv. let me know if you are plaing on using the small business version as there is a flaw in it and a work around.

as far as the gps goes, i have been using the belkin bluetooth gps. Don't get sticker shocked, it can be purchased for a lot less then the $400 listed on thier site - i have seen it as low as $150.

it is pretty nice as it will work with a pda or laptop (so long as you have bt on it. although it does come with a usb connection i have never tried it). the software it comes with is works surprisingly well. it can be installed on a pc or ppc (the device supports palm amd macs although the software does not - you would have to use a different app). maps can get very big, but you can install & remove states without a problem (no need to have them all on if you are always going to make cross country trips.

the other thing it has going for it is there is a antenna that you can purchaes for it, although i don't think i would ever need it. i put the gps unit on my dash and have had both the laptop or the pda anywere in the car and it worked great. i have also tried using it with streets and trips and it worked flawlessly with that too (so i would imagine pocket streets would work well to). the box comes with the device software, power adapter car adapter and a cable that hooks either adapter to the gps or a usb device.

good luck on your decision.

e

mboliver, Thanks so much for the tip about MS Money!!!!!!! I was just about to pay for one of the programs. MS Money is perfect for me! Thanks

Also, thanks for tips about GPS, I will be strongly considering it for my Christmas gift to me.

Glad I could help.

BTW it works well as a stand alone program to track your expenses. You don't need the desktop to sync the data...if you weren't planning on syncing the data anyway (like me)

Re: Re: New PPC 6601 and Pocket PC User

Originally posted by Convergent

I use the RoyalTek BlueGPS Mini RBT-1000 http://www.semsons.com/roybluegminr1.html which was rated the highest in a test by http://gpspassion.com . It is very small, very sensitive, and very fast. I also use Mapopolis for software. It has a very simple 2D interface, and its rerouting engine is very fast. I have tried most of the major brands and ended up chosing these. All of the GPS receivers are going to be similar, except that they may be slow to startup and find themselves. I tried another popular Bluetooth GPS and didn't like it because it would take 5 minutes sometimes to get its initial location. That is too long for me. The RoyalTek has never taken more than a minute, and usually it's near instantaneous because it's already found itself by the time I get Mapopolis going and pointed at it.
    I have been using Mapopolis map software and (Platinum) maps with several Pocket PC devices: currently my XV6600. I have a 1 GB SD card to hold those maps. I have experienced a problem opening a county map when clicking on the "Open contiguous maps" button. I believe the long delay in loading is due to the large amount of memory that my PPC attempts to load into main memory. Do you have another explanation?

I was considering a Bluetooth navigator, and was interested in your post.

Do you carry your Mapopolis map files on a SD card? How large? Does your 6600 handle the required memory without long delays? Do you have to manually choose county maps to load, or does the GPS location tell the navigation software which map(s) to load?
    AL in Jacksonville Beach, FL

Forever Confused
    I load the maps onto an SD card. When I first got mapopolis I routed a trip from Detroit to Fort Bennings GA. All I needed was the major roads for each state I was passing through and a few counties with the major citied. It took very little space, and if I needed more I just d/l'd them from the web site.

another good gps site is http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/ . yorch.net has some good software but the site is no longer updated.