Hey it works seems pretty cool
    lets get a skype conference network going
    MotoQ HELO Q Sprint ROCKS
    PPC6601 Harrier THE TREONATOR
    Phones I have Treo300,Treo600,Treo650,G1000,PPC6600/1,PPC6700,MotoQ

Forever Confused
    What is skype used for?

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar
    For VOIP. Voice over IP (voice carried over the internet in data packets) does not use any minutes from your sprint plan.

But for skype, can't you only talk with other skype users? And what about talking at the same time? Packet collision?
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

Forever Confused
    That's what I thought. But wouldn't that only be a good thing if you have unlimited internet, which in the i700 forum there are quite a few that don't want that. Or a WiFi card and finding a hot spot that you can use? Also it would defeat call waiting? Which is somthing that I've used often enough.

i am deploying a VOIP system for my offices in the next month. I will be adding 4 pot lines and 4 vonage lines. I will have my ppc software for voip on and communicate though my office via sip and use the vonage lines. just to test out and play around. but i have a big minute plan that i hardly go over 6000 day unlim nite and week
    MotoQ HELO Q Sprint ROCKS
    PPC6601 Harrier THE TREONATOR
    Phones I have Treo300,Treo600,Treo650,G1000,PPC6600/1,PPC6700,MotoQ

Skype works on phone

After reading some articles and trying Skype on my desktop I decided to give Sprint's new Audiovox a spin. It works fairly well through Sprint Network. The only use I see for it is calling a foreign country from the cell, but it does work if anyone is interested.

I love skype. I use it from my desktop pc all the time because the Sprint network is pathetic in my apt. I havent tried it with my 6601 because I heard that too many packets are dropped. When you use skype on your ppc, can people actually understand what you're saying?
    Chunk Style

With the XV6600, are you using it over NationalAccess or BroadBandAccess?
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Big Calhoun,

I don't see any mention of the XV6600 above. Do you know someone using it with VZN?

Originally posted by GadgetLuvR
    Big Calhoun,

I don't see any mention of the XV6600 above. Do you know someone using it with VZN?
    Yep, I am. I was trying to get an idea of how this phone would perform with Skype over NationalAccess (or another service comparable in speed.).

EV-DO was activated on my account this morning so I don't think I'll have to worry about any performance issues...at least not over EV-DO.
    Mobile Pimp: Fujitsu P7010D, Audiovox 6600, Playstation PSP, iGo Juice (70), Kingston 5gb PC-Card, SDIO Socket Wifi, Socket BlueTooth GPS, Socket CF BT Adapter, PNY 4 in 1 Memory Adapter.

Using it on Sprint is good, most of the time, although in some areas it comes in garbled.

Can you use Skype to call a pots phone? Or does the person on the other end have to have skype also?

You can call a pots phone, but have to buy credit with skype to do so. Not sure what their minute rate is in the US.
    iPhone 3GS !!

Its about 2.68 US cents per min to the US, Western Europe, Brazil and some other countries.

The best part is that when you call someone from skype, it says 000-123-4567 on the caller ID. They sound so confused when they answer.
    Chunk Style

$2.68 a minute!!! Geesh. I'd rather dig in my pocket for .35 cents for a payphone. And VOIP is supposed to be cheaper...

US Skype Rate

Current rates to US Mainland is 2.3 CENTS per minute, not dollars...

Does not matter where you call from, but where you call to. Also, VOIP is cheaper....if it's VOIP all the way, with Skype to Skype, it's free. It's when the call has to move over to land lines where you start incurring a charge. Still, 2.3 CENTS/MINUTE is pretty good.

Skype Rates

So what are the mechanics of using skype with the 6600? Do you hold it just like you do for a regular phone call, or do you have to use a headset? Anybody tried a bluetooth headset?

Also, anybody have a report yet on using skype with VZW EV-DO? I'm gonna assume that if people say it works well with sprint's 1xrtt, it can only get better on evdo...

Thanks,
    Eagle

Skype works really well. I travel all over the place, and with my i700 and WiFi card, I can continue to make calls and receive calls with SKYPE while abroad. My major business contacts know to call my Skype number when I'm travelling, my message on my voice service tells them so. I also call home from anywhere with it. Very nice service and application.

Originally posted by Bristolview
    Skype works really well. I travel all over the place, and with my i700 and WiFi card, I can continue to make calls and receive calls with SKYPE while abroad. My major business contacts know to call my Skype number when I'm travelling, my message on my voice service tells them so. I also call home from anywhere with it. Very nice service and application.
    Impressive. I bet you save a bundle on international calling. How do you have a Skype phone number? Is it dedicated? Is it merely forwarded? Please share.
    Chunk Style

Everyone still using Skype? I've been using it with the XV6600 over EV-DO and it has worked great. Even purchased some SkypeOut credit just to test the quality of calling to a POTS line...it's great!!! I didn't encounter alot of lag or echoing. The only thing I noticed was once the call connected there was a slight delay transmitting my first couple of words. After that...worked fine.

Now if they would integrate video conferencing...