+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

love hate relationship with the 6601

this was started in a thread about wifi, but i started getting off on a rant, to help keep that thread on track, i am moving part of feeling about the 6601 here. if anyone wantes to read the starting point here is the link:

using wifi on the 6601

This is my reply to Convergent (Mike's) responce to what i first said about keeping the ppc-6601 - I hope that makes sense:

thanks for the insight (i am miagrating from a treo 600). There are several features of ppc's that I have always liked more then palm:

1. I have several apps that i find essential that only run on ppcs

2. multimedia capabilities

3. Integration with money (i run a small business and use money for my accounting)

on the otherhand, i have found a few things that totally baffle me about this device (and probably more appropriatly the phone edition of 2003se)

1. no way to clear the voicemail notification. manytimes after you check you voicemail, cellphones won't clear the icon so later on you check it again only to findout that you still don't have any messages. it is a really minor thing, but it can be VERY frustrating.

2. last # dialed & call list. personally i think that the treo has hit a homerun on how it implements the call list. and when i switch over to my phone and the last # i dialed is still there, i always have to remind myself that i didn't just dial that #.

3. lack of manual. none nothing other then the sprint crap that tells you how to set up the ppc with activesync nad outlook. look, i am a realist and don't expect to open the box and find bith think books of how-to's, but the lack of a pdf included on the cd that goes into some of the details of using this device is either a major oversight complete lack of sense. Either way this is a huge disapointment. And don't even get me started on thier website. Audiovox has always been a company that is known for less then complete quality (thus the reason that they just got bought out), but the ppc-6600/6601 isn't even mentioned on thier website.

In reality sprint is supposed to be the one offering all support on thier phones. but anyone who can point out any info on this or any other pda/smartphone will amaze me. At least getting the tero you could go back to palm/handspring/palmone/whoever's website and read all of the info on the device. but becouse microsoft makes the ppc os and leaves everything else up to the oem, it is a total crapshoot as to what you will get after you open the box.

All that being said, i am really torn as to what i am going to do with this deivce. i got it last tuesday and have fliped 3 times on if i am going to keep it. my wife suggested getting a daisey to help make my decision:

i'll keep it... i'll keep it not.... i'll keep it... i'll keep it not.... i'll keep it... i'll keep it not.... i'll keep it... i'll keep it not.... i'll keep it... i'll keep it not.... i'll keep it... i'll keep it not.... i'll keep it... i'll keep it not....

anyway, i suppose as more people get it we can ban togeather to work out some of it's idiocyncracies (at the moment i am in an "i'll keep it" stage)

any more insight that people can offer would be appreciated.

e

I thought this thread was about ranting??? Just kidding

GREAT DEVICE THANKs ill buy 3 more now =)
    MotoQ HELO Q Sprint ROCKS
    PPC6601 Harrier THE TREONATOR
    Phones I have Treo300,Treo600,Treo650,G1000,PPC6600/1,PPC6700,MotoQ

When you get a voice mail, always click the icon to listen to messages. If you just dial voice mail from the dialer with out clicking on the icon the icon will not go away. I discovered that when I had my Hitachi G1000.

Why do you have to remind yourself? The screen clearly says last Call.....

I can see your point on the man. Most of us have used Windows CE in one form or another as long as windows it self and take for granted the similarities of a desk top computer.

I tried a Treo 300 for a few days about a year ago and was totally amazed how much more complicated it was to use compared to POcket PC. Especially in the varios settings, they are scattered every where. No file system etc...

while i realize it says last call, most cell phones auto dial the last number if you hit the talk button. so everytime i switch to the phone, and there is always a # there, it appears as if it is calling that number.

while i too have used many ppcs (and palm devices for that matter) i have always found that on a pdaphone there are a lot of custom features that it has above what other devices would include. regardless though, a manual is something that should be included with any pda, phone or hybrid device.

I have not paid any attention yet to the manual. I will download it to my 6601 and read it.

I don't dial anything. 99% of the calls I make are Voice Command which is the only way to make calls on a device like this in my opinion. I don't even use the call list any more since adding the voice. Even if it misses it's fine.

You can get ths GSM verion of manual from FCC. And looks complete. You can get the last 1/3 of the PPC6601. They didn't upload the whole thing for this model of the phone. Probably only the part the FCC needed. So the manual does exist. I'm sure we'll get it one of these days.

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/c...estTimeout=500

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/c...estTimeout=500

I'm on the fence as well. I don't like the battery life (though I guess I can force myself to manage the backlight even though that seems like something the device should do better).

I suppose my real problem is that I use a PDA and I use a phone but I am not sure I need a connected PDA very often. So, what I am wondering is, am I better off carrying two devices since two separate devices are likely to do each job better (at least that's the way it has been for me in the past).

BUT, I can't easily get on the Internet with two devices....

Yeah, I keep going back and forth and it money were no object...but it is. I just don't know. (To complicate matters, the 650 I ordered just in case I don't want to keep the 6601, even though I don't like Palm OS much, will be here tomorrow. I can't keep them both.)

Originally posted by mswlogo
    I don't dial anything. 99% of the calls I make are Voice Command which is the only way to make calls on a device like this in my opinion.
    Do you run Voice Command on the 6601? I read it wouldn't work on WM2003 Second Edition phones like the 6601.

serveral times i have tried to carry two devices - a phone and a pda. at one pont is was my treo 600 and a ppc (don't ask it is a long story) and every times i felt like i needed a purse to adiquiately carry everything. i don't look good with a purse as i think it make me look to prissy (plus then you have to match itto your shoes, etc)

seriously though, i am not a big guy and haveing to many things in my pocket just becomes too much. there for i resolved a long time ago that any phone had to be my pda also, if for no other reason then to reduce the number of things to carry.

e

check out the thread i started on voice command.

Originally posted by phils
    Do you run Voice Command on the 6601? I read it wouldn't work on WM2003 Second Edition phones like the 6601.
    Voice Command on the 6601 works fine!

I used to carry two devices as well, but I do not agree with you that each will do a better job than an integrated one. I used to carry a PPC and a StarTak phone. The phone was fine, as was my PDA. My PDA had my calendar and my 1000's of contacts for business. When I had to dial, my Startak only held 99 numbers which means I had to look up the contact on my PDA, then dial on my phone. No change in a car or while walking. Now, I just say "Dial whomever" and I'm done. All my contacts are in my phone, ALL of them. It also syncs with my PC so as I add contacts, they just appear in my phone. There are other advantages, but for me, this one alone is priceless. Two devices? Never again!!!

bristolview - i think you may have misunderstood my meaning. I never meant that i felt that more devices is better. quite to the contratrary, i hate carring around a lot of stuff. the thought of going back to a phone and pda seperate does not appeal to me at all.

the point i was trying to make is that the treo is a very nice integration of phone and pda. it's one flaw (at least for me) is that i perfer the ppc os as apposed to the palm one. other then that i think that the treo was a great device.

on the other hand my gripe with the ppc phone edition is the phone components are (or atleast appear to be) a complete after thought.

so the reason i was using both is i needed a few ppc apps, but liked the convienece of the treo. As for my current situation, well i have pretty much decided to keep the 6601. the functionality of the device (especially for my needs) out weighs the poor implementation of the phone features.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "poor implementation" of the phone aspects of the device... I mean really, it's a PHONE, how much implementation is required? You hit the dial button, use your contacts or type in a number, and hit dial again, or use voicedial... I'm just not sure how much more you need to do this... A pocketPC pda is SO MUCH MORE complicated than a cell phone, I just don't see how you could "implement" the phone functions any better. Have you ever played with a SmartPhone? THAT is more phone and less PDA, much more like a cell phone than a PDA. My wife has the i600 and while she likes it, it would drive me CRAZY because really I want a PDA with a phone in it, not a phone with PDA functionality. There are devices to meet every need out there, perhaps you are looking for something in the 6601 that it just wasn't designed to be. It's a PDA with a cell phone built in, not the other way around, the phone implementation IS an afterthought, it's PocketPC Operating System PHONE EDITION, meaning they took the already accepted PPC OS and added cell functionality to it. Smartphone OS is the other way around, they built it from the ground up as a Phone first and a PDA second. Any PocketPC phone is PocketPC first and phone second, that's what they are designed to be...
    Tom

Tom, I could not agree with you more. I get tired of people complaining about size of the phone edition devices. If these people that carry the micro phone and a pocket pc put the two together the sum is much larger. If you do not cary your pocket pc with you at all times then maybe all you need is pen and paper.

I love the phone edition devices, had been waiting for one since 98 when I bought my Philips Nino 312

Absolutely! I'm reminded of the fact that I was in the kitchen the other day complaining that I had to wait 4 minutes for my dinner to cook in the microwave. I actually thought to myself, WTF is wrong with me, I mean it's NEVER good enough, right? Dinner ready in 4 minutes isn't fast enough! Gave me a little perspective. Not even that though, I really think the pocketPC phones pretty much do what they are designed for. Some have obvious shortcomings, like the G1000's PATHETIC 32 megs of ram. To be honest with you, if the G1000 had 64 meg of ram I probably wouldn't even upgrade it, it works so well otherwise! A PocketPC phone is a PocketPC with a phone in it, it's that simple. If you want a phone with PDA functions, get a Smartphone or even a Treo, PocketPC phones are simply PocketPC PDA's with a built in phone function, nothing more, nothing less...
    Tom

If I could put the 6601 guts in the G1000 I would have stayed with it too. 128 ram and 2003 SE were worth the change though. Especially since Sprint warr. replace the 4th G with this 6601.
    Dan

ok, did i ever say that i didn't like the size of the 6601?

No

i said carring a ppc (i meantioned that i HAD one a while ago - a hp4155) AND a treo 600 (at the same time) was too much. one or the other is fine. this is my opinion. I have a friend who finds it nessesray to have serveral devices with him at all times. is that right or wrong? no, it is his opinion and/or need.

just becouse i am not "fully converged" doesn't mean i am new to palms, ppcs, or pda phones. i admitted that this is my first ppc phone and considering that every pda phone i have owned in the past has been a palm based deivces (kyocera 6035, samsung i300, treo300, treo600) , this is different. I too have always wanted a ppc phone, although i thought that the g1000 was not going to cut it with the memory and the initial lack of sdio.

rather then ask me why i feel like the phone features are implemented poorly, you either assume you know or try to make me feel foolish. that is fine - you can assume what you want.

but don't make it out like a phone is a phone. we could make this same argument about a car or a computer or anything else. just becouse a feature is built into something and it works, doesn't mean that everyone is going to like the way it works. if people just purchased a car becouse it gets them from here to there, then why would anyone consider a bmw, lexus or mercedes? becouse sometimesthe feature excels in the refinement. I could go on about this, but i'll "assume" that you get my point.

I think that part of the reason for MY opinion that the treos phone features are better integrated in is due to the fact that therre have been several other attempts at making palm phones prior to the 600 (which is supieror to the treo300). Microsoft is only on round 2. It is widely presummed that microsoft doesn't get it right until version 3. so the next pocket pc/windows mobile os which is due out in 2005 should be wonderful for phones. this is very exciting.

listen, personally, i don't want to get into a flame war about this. i mean i came to this forum to talk with other about thier expierences with the phone, gleening from some and helping others. if i am going to be bashed for my opinion, then i'll just lurk. But i was under the impression that an exchange of ideas, reviews and expierences was what this forum was about... then again maybe i am wrong.

e

I believe the device is NOT integrated in software very well at all. Obviously the hardware is somewhat integrated (the phone and PDA share a box and screen and such) but the software feels like two sets running, at the best of times, at the same time.

I care little whether it is Microsoft's fault or someone else's.

I don't NEED an integrated device and the separate phone and PDA did their respective jobs better than this device does either.

Examples: the speakerphone is not intuitive to turn on and I can't figure out how to make it stay on between calls; the phone buttons don't power the phone on (maybe they do when there is an incoming call, I'm not sure); the volume is all over the place (worse than my last phone was) - sometimes too high, sometimes too low, never the same as the last call it seems); the battery has to be managed closely by the user - the screen should go off during a call when there is no PDA activity, not just dim since it seems to affect the battery so much. It might not be possible to make the battery last forever but it could be more self managing (if I can do it the device probably could as well); switching from "phone mode" to "PDA mode" should be easier/more intuitive; the volume controls for the phone and PDA are separate but you can't have one on vibrate and one not.

I think these are not complaints about the device as much as they are complaints about the integration level.

The software development has a long way to go.

I certainly respect your opinion, and I did in fact ask what specifically you felt was poorly implemented. My posts were not intended to flame, simply to stake my opinion on the matter. I never assumed you were new to PPC or PDA's in general. As for the second post, you list some very valid problems but they all sound specific to the 6601 which is interesting information. What kind of battery life are you getting out of it? I have a G1000 right now and find it's operation to be pretty seamless, there is a speakerphone hard button in between the dial and hangup buttons. It turns itself on when a call comes in and turns itself off when you are talking on the phone to conserve battery life. I'd be VERY surprised if this couldn't be configured on the 6601! As for switching between "phone" and "PDA" modes, I don't understand what is hard, the phone on the G1000 is just an application you can open/close like any other, how is this confusing on the 6601, is it different somehow? I've played with my brother's HP 6315 with I believe runs the same PPC OS that the 6601 runs, and I didn't see many differences with the phone app, etc. than my G1000...
    Tom