+ Reply to Thread

Talking Mine's coming next week!!!!

OK so I've been lurking in here and HOFO and reading and posting in anticipation for this phone. As a complete newb to PDA's, PPC's, how should I proceed once I get this baby in my hot hands? I've never had a PDA. I've never had a PDA Phone, however I'm pretty computer savvy.

What are the must do's? What are the must haves?

For instance can I merge my current cell phones contact list?
    Should I get more memory immediately? Or should I get a wifi card? Should I get a case? If so what type? Should I use it to build a nuclear missle and control my underground lair inside a volcano??? WHAT????? WHAT WHAT WHAT??????

Maybe a "NEWBIE TO PPC USER GUIDE" sticky is in order????
    Last edited by lkaufma1; 11-18-2004 at 02:41 PM.

No?

OK, OK... I'll respond... don't build any nukes. Colin Powell will find you.

In terms of merging current phone lists, it depends on what you mean. Do you sync them with a PC today? If so, maybe. If not, then no... your current phone is not likely to let you dump contacts as it will be in a totally different format.

I'd wait and see how you use it before determining if you will use WiFi and what kind of cases become available. Probably the one "must have" is an SD memory card (or two.)
    John

Everyone is different. What's the best software for your computer?

I think a must have is some sort of voice command software. But I wished I did not rush and get MS Voice Command because there may be others that will work with Blue Tooth headset.

No on wifi
    Maybe on memory
    Case yes (read the boards there are threads on that, I'm leaning towards the EB case)
    No Nucluer thing

Another common gadget is a blue tooth GPS (read the boards there are a few threads going on that).

Also watch the XDA II thread which is the same unit in GSM.

I wish the two forums were combined. Pain jumping back and forth with similar info.

Chiropractors aren't real doctors. really fat kid's Avatar
    First, you should calm down. You're making everyone nervous.

Secondly, you may find it difficult to merge your current cellphone's contact list. Sprint is capable of extracting phone books from phones, but a lot of times, they wont do it unless you are transferring numbers to the same model of phone. Knowledge is power; tell them you know they are capable of making .csv file of all your current contacts. If they say no, ask for the tech dont let him tell you its possible.

More memory is not neccesary (or possible) on this device. 128mb is more than ample (especially when you have been using a device crippled with only 32mg of ram for the past year).

Wifi cards are cool, if you've got $80 laying around and you're frequently in hotspots, go for it. Cases are cool, some people have suggested various cases over the past week or so.

And a nuclear missle? Go ahead, but please point it at yourself. Just kidding..

RFK
    Chunk Style

I would agree with you if you were right, but the Palm OS is crap.

Originally posted by really fat kid
    First, you should calm down. You're making everyone nervous.

And a nuclear missle? Go ahead, but please point it at yourself. Just kidding..

RFK
    Sorry just excited at the possibilities. I've never owned a PDA before let alone this mother of a device!

Honestly the main reason I'm getting it is because I work for a rather large company. Maybe you've read about it in the wifi thread I started... We make automobiles...

Anyway I'm stuck in meetings ALL day long and want to get my corporate email. My main thing is I want to be connected to my server (Exchange 2000 now, but migrating to 2003 mid-2005) and send emails and have them go into my "sent" folder on the phone as well as my desktop simulataneously. Does that make sense? Basically have the phone act a "floating desktop" connected to our network.

Also, since I'm an engineering geekoid, I need to be able to read, edit and create Excel files up the wazooo on the phone.

Everything else is gravy.

Edit: Thanks for replying guys!

Originally posted by jpmihalk
    Probably the one "must have" is an SD memory card (or two.)
    Or two???? Why would you need to carry an extra? Are they hot swappable if one becomes full?

Originally posted by lkaufma1
    Or two???? Why would you need to carry an extra? Are they hot swappable if one becomes full?
    Yes, and if you want to start listening to music or watching movies... they will take up some space! You can also load applications to memory cards and save on RAM.
    John

Cool!

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    You should check with your system administrator at work to make sure you can connect to your exchange server... if not, you may have some hoops to jump through to get corporate email. You can use Sprint's Business Connect if you can leave a PC turned on in an office at work, and that PC can punch through the firewall to get to you.... but most large companies have policies about that kind of thing.

Other than maybe an SD card, I wouldn't do anything to it right away. There are a lot of things you can do out of the box, and there is a lot to get familiar with. A lot of times when people start adding a lot of stuff, they'll have some problem and not be able to figure out what caused it because they added a lot at one time. Then the device ultimately ends up getting blamed for the problem, and they are very unhappy. You should not even need the SD card right away unless you are going to add a lot of media files or something... 128MB is a lot of memory for anything else.

Remember to have some fun and be willing to change the way you do some things to adapt to the best way of using the device. It is not going to be like just using a regular phone.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Originally posted by Convergent
    You should check with your system administrator at work to make sure you can connect to your exchange server... if not, you may have some hoops to jump through to get corporate email. You can use Sprint's Business Connect if you can leave a PC turned on in an office at work, and that PC can punch through the firewall to get to you.... but most large companies have policies about that kind of thing.

Actually I will have a desktop on and connected. It will just be a matter of setting the proxy to access the internet. Shouldn't be an issue.

Obviously I am bursting with anticipation!

Is the building you work in set up with Wifi? If so, the best thing is to get an SDIO wifi card and use that to wirelessly activesync with your desktop. If not you'll have to try the business connect software and see where you get...
    Tom

Some spots in the building are set up with wifi. However as I am just a lowly engineer they won't give me the keys to the server or a new GT for that matter....

Got it!!!!!!!!! This thing is flat out unhealthy! I'm going to lose many hours of sleep tonight playing with it.....