+ Reply to Thread

Bluetooth to Dial up Networking - anyone get it to work consistently?

I have posted this same question in other forums with the hopes of seeing/finding someone who has found the answer... Has anyone here gotten a bluetooth to dial up networking connection to work with the ppc-6600/6601 and a laptop either running Win XP or OS X? I have battled with this for days (giving up and deciding to try again) and can't believe that it 'won't' work or can't work... There has to be some way to get this to work consistently. The short of my story is that I only get it to work for a few minutes at a time - and only once every so often. Most of the time, both my XP and OSX machines give me the error that the "device was not available." Any comments?

Originally posted by hatoncat
    Well, WModem was originally designed for GPRS, but the problems are compounded by a horrible Widcomm BT stack that won't be fixed until WM2005 at the earliest.

As for Macs, the problem is Apple won't just let Bluetooth drive the dial-up process, and demands a Modem Script. The ones currently out there (including the PCS Vision script) just don't communicate properly with the PPC-6601, and Widcomm drops the connection.

In other words, the phone needs a firmware update, Apple needs to update Bluetooth (and realize some people have more than one Bluetooth modem ).

As for Windows, no comment yet, my worthless BT dongle (no suprise... Widcomm as well) needs it's almost two year old driver re-installed (note to Widcomm: Public Reference Driver... yes you can).

When an MS driver surpasses your own driver, the only equation can be left:
    Widcomm = Problem
    After posting my comment above, I decided to relax on the couch and simply test different scenarios. I found that with my Toshiba M200 (w/ integrated BT module) running XP SP1 that I could get the device to connect for significant amounts of time. As the battery ran down on the laptop, however, performance suffered insofaras the connection would drop. Grasping at straws, I would say its a power management related issue on the laptop. I was, however, able to actually get it to work for bits of time, though, and it was only after the battery on the Tosh was really run down that I quit for the evening. My observations follow what you said. I think the problem is really with the laptops/desktops. File transfer and syncing are no problem whatsoever. There may be a program I installed on the PPC that is causing problems, too, but I can't verify it.
    Today, with the Tosh charged up, I'm going to try something else - upgrade to SP2 after following the directions Tosh has regarding upgrading the BT driver before upgrading to SP2. (This again indicates that the Win BT drivers are more of an afterthought than anything - proven by the fact that XP didn't even include BT functionality until a while after it shipped.) As for the Macs, I'm more clueless because I've never had to actually hack around with modem scripts and I don't even know where to start because documentation is all over the place on using Macs with BT devices and hacks that work and don't work. Most of the hacks, though, are definitely aimed at the GRPS crowd... i.e. those who have actually been able to play with BT for a good amount of time now.
    hatoncat - once you get the PPC (I think you said today), let's see if we can compare notes. I can take screen shots later of what I'm doing if that's of any help. Now that I'm not under the gun to return it (I still have until the end of next week), I'm willing to test...
    BTW, wmodem only has worked occassionally for me - every time I have been able to stay online for a significant amount of time it was without wmodem... The problem is that if you get a phone call or sms while online w/out wmodem, the connection drops and then the troubles start all over.

oh - one thing I forgot to mention. As time wore on - and as I found after writing the last post - some of the connection attempts resulted in the PPC-6601 thinking that the BT dial up attempt was a headset connection... Gotta' be something with the startup strings, right?

I've tried no WModem on the PPC6601 and without and got similar results.

But I noticed on the CD there is also WModem. I read (possibly described in the manual or readme) that you actually had to create a "Standard Modem" at 33600 that uses a BlueTooth COM port and then add some unique connect strings to that. Then create your connection using that Modem.

What I had been doing was using the "Bluetooth modem" on the PC directly.

Is this what you tried?

I'm also running SP2 and recently deleted all my bluetooth drivers which we IBM (I think) and let XP replace them with the latest.

My connects would sometimes run for s few minutes.
    Last edited by mswlogo; 11-19-2004 at 02:19 PM.

Originally posted by mswlogo
    But I noticed on the CD there is also WModem. I read (possibly described in the manual or readme) that you actually had to create a "Standard Modem" at 33600 that uses a BlueTooth COM port and then add some unique connect strings to that. Then create your connection using that Modem.

What I had been doing was using the "Bluetooth modem" on the PC directly.

Is this what you tried?
    I haven't tried anything that the manual described because I actually didn't realize it was on the cd. I'm going to look through the manual later. If the manual notes changing the connect strings, then that's what will be needed. Everything that I've done so far indicates that there is a problem with the strings being used... imho...

give XV6600 internet with BT modem

My XV6600's reception is a joke. I got a V710 to give my XV6600 internet. So my XV6600 is trying to dial through a BT DUN modem, NOT the XV6600 acting like a modem. I can pair the devices. The instructoins I am trying to follow are http://www.v710.org/mark/V710_EN_PPC.htm but after clicking "connect to internet" under the "new" button, my screen looks different, it says "Bluetooth connection wizard", and there is a drop down box that says "Show only networked device" and my phone isnt lsited there, if I change the drop down box to "All devices" my phone shows up, i click on my BT phone, and it says "service discovery was unsucessful" and in teh details it says "The requested serviec is no running on this device. Please make sure the service is enabled on the device or select another one to continue".

How can I get my XV6600 to use my phone as a modem? I have never updated the rom or firmware on my Camera-ed XV6600.

Bump, anyone, is a XV6600 capable of using a bluetooth modem?

You might want to have the VX6600 checked - I find that mine has excellent signal performance, especially on data. I have held a data session down below -100 dBM (per ##debug field test monitor).

If you still want to use the v710 (pokey pokey pokey 1x speeds vs the onboard EVDO), just change your dial-up setting to use the Bluetooth modem (and change your username to the number of the v710, not the 6600).

But I still think there's someting wrong with your 6600 if you're getting lousy signal. Mine gets better signal than almost any phone I've compared it to.
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

I currently am using my VX6600WOC as a BT DUN modem for my SOYO Windows XP Home SP2 desktop. I purchased a DLink DBT-120 BT USB dongle and installed that on the desktop. I actually went into Windows Support/Help and followed the setup instructions there for a BT modem and adding it to a local network. And much to my astonishment and amazement it worked.

I am researching the other option of using the EVDO functions of the 6600 thru the USB connection which comes installed in the "docking cradle" for the 6600.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by DearOldDad; 07-23-2005 at 02:31 PM.

I'm a total loser and I've been banned!!!
    Originally posted by DearOldDad
    I currently am using my VX6600WOC as a BT DUN modem for my SOYO Windows XP Home SP2 desktop. I purchased a DLink DBT-120 BT USB dongle and installed that on the desktop. I actually went into Windows Support/Help and followed the setup instructions there for a BT modem and adding it to a local network. And much to my astonishment and amazement it worked.

I am researching the other option of using the EVDO functions of the 6600 thru the USB connection which comes installed in the "docking cradle" for the 6600.

Hope this helps!
    1. Yes BT DUNS works. The original poster probably has a bad BT adapter/driver.

2. What does "I am researching the other option" mean? You mean you're searching the forum for "wmodem" and trying it out? Or is there something I am unaware of? Because... That works also.

Ehud
    p.s. USB is faster than BT. If you're trying to get full EVDO speeds USB is better.

Hey - it's the kinder, gentler Ehud

Yeah - winmodem is much faster than BT DUN for EVDO. Doesn't do much for 1x (BT Bandwidth is more than 1x, but much less than EV).

Search for wmodem in the forums (or go to ehids site and find the instructions.
    Anything I say is mine. It is neither authorized nor endorsed by my employers or previous employers. Read at your own risk.

Originally posted by Ehud
    1. Yes BT DUNS works. The original poster probably has a bad BT adapter/driver.

2. What does "I am researching the other option" mean? You mean you're searching the forum for "wmodem" and trying it out? Or is there something I am unaware of? Because... That works also.

Ehud
    p.s. USB is faster than BT. If you're trying to get full EVDO speeds USB is better.
    Yes Ehud. Thank you for the quick response. By "research" I meant I was checking back thru the steps making sure I hadn't screwed something up somewhere (I have phatt fingers and am quite nearsighted.) I'm a gnubee at this. Have patience with me, please. The Wmodem works well too. In fact that's what I'm using as we "speak". As usual you are also correct in that this connection (via USB) is faster. Thanks.

Originally posted by IanArgent
    Hey - it's the kinder, gentler Ehud

Yeah - winmodem is much faster than BT DUN for EVDO. Doesn't do much for 1x (BT Bandwidth is more than 1x, but much less than EV).

Search for wmodem in the forums (or go to ehids site and find the instructions.
    Hope to see alot of kinder gentler Ehud ?................ and lets move on, help members have fun with their PDA's !!!!!!!!!
    Funny it worked.....the last time! Now I am not sure what was working before they put a hole in my head !

Re: give XV6600 internet with BT modem

Originally posted by patcat88
    My XV6600's reception is a joke. I got a V710 to give my XV6600 internet. So my XV6600 is trying to dial through a BT DUN modem, NOT the XV6600 acting like a modem. I can pair the devices. The instructoins I am trying to follow are http://www.v710.org/mark/V710_EN_PPC.htm but after clicking "connect to internet" under the "new" button, my screen looks different, it says "Bluetooth connection wizard", and there is a drop down box that says "Show only networked device" and my phone isnt lsited there, if I change the drop down box to "All devices" my phone shows up, i click on my BT phone, and it says "service discovery was unsucessful" and in teh details it says "The requested serviec is no running on this device. Please make sure the service is enabled on the device or select another one to continue".

How can I get my XV6600 to use my phone as a modem? I have never updated the rom or firmware on my Camera-ed XV6600.
    Update. The V710 is fine, my PDA (the XV6600) isnt, even though it has a "Bluetooth Modem" option as what modem to use it doesnt work. I did find a fix for my PDA that made everything work perfect at http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=23769 .