+ Reply to Thread

When will Cingular offer this phone?

will they call it the imate or something?

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar
    Cingular can not offer THIS phone because it is a CDMA phone, and Cingular is GSM. They could offer the GSM version, but I know of know announced plans for them to do so. Since they didn't offer the XDA I or XDA II, I wouldn't expect the XDA III to be an automatic thing. AT&T did carry the XDA I and called it the Siemens SX56, so their influence may lead them this way. Cingular has never offered a Pocket PC Phone. So far none of the US carriers have announced plans to carry the GSM XDA III. If the PPC6601 turns out to be popular, I guess they may rethink that decision. Your only option with Cingular may be to buy the iMate PDA2K (which is the GSM equivalent to this) and just use that... as it is unlocked. This is a rather costly option, you wouldn't have any direct support from Cingular, and if you had a hardware problem you'd have to deal with a non-US company to get it fixed (meaning it may take weeks to get resolution). I believe that Cingular and/or AT&T had made some noise about the HP h6315.
    Mike - Been Converged?

Originally posted by Convergent
    Cingular can not offer THIS phone because it is a CDMA phone, and Cingular is GSM... ...I believe that Cingular and/or AT&T had made some noise about the HP h6315.
    From what I have been hearing, the h63xx will be available through Cingular pretty soon. I think they are still in the merger process with ATT and when the smoke clears, look out for it.
    John

Re: When will Cingular offer this phone?

Originally posted by HexiumVII
    will they call it the imate or something?
    According to HoFo, Cingular has admitted they will carry the GSM version of this phone. A promotional ad has even been seen and circulating on the web. It will be called the Siemens SX66 and is the same as the iMate, but it is rumored (actually almost certain) that it will not have a camera. It was supposed to be released by the end of this month, but Cingular is delaying it to fix some software problem most people believe to be the known Bluetooth issues with the phone. Latest info is it will be released in Dec., probably before or around Christmas.

Here is a link to the VERY LONG thread about it on HoFo: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=486311
    Last edited by jglev; 11-19-2004 at 10:30 AM.
    Jeff

HTC Fuze

Try the iMate PDA2k.
    It's GSM and it is WiFi capable also---- great phone if you are using Cingular!!

The gsm version for cingular model sx66 is on the web site now

Yor

Question PPC-6600 on Cigular

Hi All: I am new to the fourm. I am currently a Cigular subscriber and plan on staying on Cigular. I am looking to replace my deead IPAQ and camera phone with a new PDA/Phone on running Windows Pocket PC I While I like the Cigular version of this phone SX-66 I want the camera feature. HAve any of you cut your PPC-6600 over to cigular? Is there a ROM flash ofr this? Any thoughts would be apreciated.

Re: PPC-6600 on Cigular

Originally posted by Yor
    Hi All: I am new to the fourm. I am currently a Cigular subscriber and plan on staying on Cigular. I am looking to replace my deead IPAQ and camera phone with a new PDA/Phone on running Windows Pocket PC I While I like the Cigular version of this phone SX-66 I want the camera feature. HAve any of you cut your PPC-6600 over to cigular? Is there a ROM flash ofr this? Any thoughts would be apreciated.
    Yor, first - welcome!

Second, the PPC-6600 can NOT be converted to use on Cingular as it is a CDMA phone and Cingular uses GSM technology. The SX-66 is the closest that Cingular has for the time being. There are supposed to be some new camera PPCphones coming out for Cingular, but I don't have any timeframe or guarantees that they will test properly for use on their network. The best bet is an imate PDA2k - it is GSM, same form factor, with WiFi and a camera. They are available at www.expansys-usa.com.
    John

Hi Yor,
    I almost bought the PDA2K which is the SX66 with the camera, but decided to just buy an SD camera and get the SX66. An SD camera will be better quality and still cheaper than the PDA2K, and you can remove it so if you go to places that don't allow camera phones you won't have to leave your phone behind.
    Cheers,
    Sarah
    Cingular 8125 --Noreve leather case -- 2GB miniSD -- Moto BT headset -- Belkin BT GPS

The only problem I have with that combination, Sarah, is that I want to store my images on the SD memory card! But I will say that I haven't seen a camera on a PDAphone worth buying the device for anyway. I have a nice 4MP digital camera for when I need it.
    John

Phone cameras have never been a big deal with me. There is no way that a phone camera, even a 1.3 mpix, would serve as a replacement for a real digital cam at 4~8 mpix.

Btw, Sarah, what resolution is that SD card camera?