+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Three Issues

Three Issues

1) Is anyone concerned about how flimsy the little rubber gasket that covers the headphone jack appears to be? Seems to me that it is just a matter of time before it will break off.

2) I tried plugging a 2.5 to 3.5 mini-plug adapter into the 6601 and then plugged that into my cassette converter so I could play mp3's on the 6601 on my car radio. The headphone jack must not be standard size or my converter isn't. It didn't fit well and if I didn't have the plug positioned just right, I just got music from one side or it kept cutting in and out.

3) My wife tried to call me three times yesterday and the calls never rang on the phone. I have no idea what the problem could be here. But do you have to have the phone actually turned on for it to ring? It was turned off and in it's case when the calls occurred. When I say turned on, I men powered on using the top button. The phone app was definitely running and not in flight mode.

Overall, I'm disappointed in the 6601 and am trying to decide whether to return it and get a Treo 650.
    Last edited by wolfpackfan; 11-19-2004 at 06:27 AM.

Was a data connection up?

Has the phone ever had the PRL set yet. Call *2 to check.

Originally posted by mswlogo
    Was a data connection up?

Has the phone ever had the PRL set yet. Call *2 to check.
    Yes it was. In fact I had made calls out okay. I just had not received any.

Not too concerned with the flimsy rubber gasket thingy. I just came from a Treo and it didn't have a cover at all. Plus it should be relatively simple to replace...(if sprint isn't able to....you might have found your niche---making flimsy rubber gasket thingy replacements for a nominal fee---I would, but I am too lazy )

When the screen is off, you should still receive phone calls. I am not sure what the problem was.....did you at least get the VM?
    I have enough trouble overcoming my own limitations without fretting over the fact that God hasn't seen fit to distribute evenly the gift of intelligence.

I'm going to give it another try today. I'm not completely ready to give up on the 6601 and since I do have a 2 week return period I'll play with it today. Maybe I was just not in a good cell location when my wife called. I'm going to try making some calls to it myself.

Editor and Site Administrator Convergent's Avatar

Re: Three Issues

Originally posted by wolfpackfan
    1) Is anyone concerned about how flimsy the little rubber gasket that covers the headphone jack appears to be? Seems to me that it is just a matter of time before it will break off.

2) I tried plugging a 2.5 to 3.5 mini-plug adapter into the 6601 and then plugged that into my cassette converter so I could play mp3's on the 6601 on my car radio. The headphone jack must not be standard size or my converter isn't. It didn't fit well and if I didn't have the plug positioned just right, I just got music from one side or it kept cutting in and out.

3) My wife tried to call me three times yesterday and the calls never rang on the phone. I have no idea what the problem could be here. But do you have to have the phone actually turned on for it to ring? It was turned off and in it's case when the calls occurred. When I say turned on, I men powered on using the top button. The phone app was definitely running and not in flight mode.

Overall, I'm disappointed in the 6601 and am trying to decide whether to return it and get a Treo 650.
    1. I don't think this is any different from any other device. If they have a cover, it's most likely flimsy. The h6315 cover is a lot more sturdy, but its hard to get the headset in there with one hand because its so hard to push out of the way. I would be OK if it didn't have a cover at all, personally.

2. Most likely you had an active data connection going. Look at the top of the screen and see if the two arrows that come up when Vision is connected are black or white. When they are black, then a phone call won't go through. If they are black, then you need to kill whatever application is causing it in order to receive incoming calls. There are no pdaPhones that can receive a call while data is active.

3. You will most likely NOT be able to just go to Radio Shack and buy an adapter to use with your PPC6601. The reason is that a "standard" adapter is going to be converting a stereo headset... 2 lines. This device also has the stereo headset, and a microphone (and some method of control for the button). That is 3 lines instead of 2, and it is not standard in the world of 2.5 and 3.5mm mini-plugs. You need to look to companies like PocketPCTechs and PCMobile for a proper adapter plug. In the past, I've made a custom adapter cable, but that is a lot of work. Some adapters will disable the phone mic, but provide headphones... others will allow the speakerphone mic to work, while still others will provide their own mic like the included headset. I don't know that this is available yet for this device, but it will be if its not already.

This adapter should work for you, but I don't know that its been tested. It is designed for the GSM version of this phone, and I think we all believe it would be the same...
    http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail...._ID=PPCPADPT16

If you follow the instructions from this url to get to the site and order it, you will get a 10% discount as a pdaPhoneHome member...
    http://www.smartphoneforums.com/forums/mall.php#2222

PCMobile has adapters here...

http://www.pc-mobile.net/audioadapter.htm

But, I don't see one there for this device.
    Mike - Been Converged?